Lay?

Uh yeah i'm really new here.

[[i already posted this under the training forum. but no one seems to go in there and idk how to delete it, so feel free to tell me how]]

And i cant figure out how to get my puppy oscar to lay down.

There are lots of threads for more complicated stuff.. and i just want to get my puppy to lay down.

He sits and i'm starting to clicker train him.

I have him sit and then put the treat to his nose, then to the floor and say "lay."

And he just kinda looks away..

So i nudge his front feet forward and have him lay down.

Clicker, treat, praise.

But he doesnt ever seem to get it...

Any advice?

Sounds like he is not hungry enough? Skip a meal, and after that handfeed his meal to him when he works it out. He will soon get it.

When he is sitting, stand beside him with a piece of his meal used as a lure.

Get his attention by first putting it under his nose, and then let him follow it slowly down the front of his chest, onto the floor, pausing if his attention wanes while you are moving the lure down, eventually slightly in front of his feet, all the time keeping it close to his body so that if he follows it, he must crouch into a position on the floor. Mark and reward.

No attention.........Not hungry enough!

How old is the puppy? To begin with, use a treat that is of really high value.....I use cooked chicken or small pieces of 4 Legs Dog Food for teaching something new - works wonders :rolleyes: I sat on the floor with my pup and lured him under my knee to encourage lying down - there's no point even giving a command or being firm if the pup has no idea what he has to do :o

ETA: agree with dogdude - make sure puppy is hungry....I like doing training first thing in the morning when they've got energy to burn after a good night's sleep and an empty tummy!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I've had sucess using 'drop' and liver treats. I make my dog sit first, then hold the treat in a closed fist at his feet until he lies down. If he tries to move back or stand up, i start again. Sometimes he will try to shuffle back and bend down so i push the treat towards his feet again so it's sort of under him, then he realises he has to lie down to get to it.

Dogs seem to remember hand signals better than voice commands too, so make sure you're consistent with where you hold the treat, and try to place more emphasis on the action rather than the command until he starts to get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Em and Phil

Have the dog sit and stay. Then kneel down to the dog level. Make you hand flat, and motion toward the ground, from the dogs eye level, down to the ground. Like you were pushing something straight down. Say "Lay" as you do it. The idea is to get the dog to focus on your hand and follow it. The dog should soon lay. Then repeat the command and praise the dog. I dont give treats but you can if you like.

IF the dog isnt getting it, try gently pushing its muzzle down with you palm on the way down. Another one, with most dogs, you should be able to take its front paws from under it and put it in a lay position, then repeat the command, praise.

So theres 3 methods right there, id start from the first.

This is how iv trained all my dogs to lay. Takes about 5 minutes. They get most of the idea in that first 5 minutes, then repeating the same thing a few times over about a week and even my pitty did it, and she isnt that bright :rolleyes:

hes about 8 months old.

and i think it was that he wasnt hungry enough.

cause i was going to try to do the TOT thing so i didnt feed him today.

and then i tried the lay thing, and it worked like twice.

[[but he still likes to look away... weird]]

and i say lay because i didnt want to use down because whenever i want himoff the couch or bed i say down.

i didnt want to confuse him ever more.

thanks you guys :]

Glad you have it now :(

I use "down" for lying down..and OFF! when they need to get off the furniture etc :)

I do this because OFF is a good sharp commanding word which gets results quickly :(

D O w n is a sort of drawn out word...I say it slowly... it suits the action :laugh:

got any photos of your boy?

at 8 months he should be getting the idea......using your check chain (if ur using one) put your hand down as far as u can & push his head down with the check chain with your food in your right hand....giving plenty of encouragement .... don't forget to use your right hand past his nose & down to the ground....that is his signal to drop.....dont push his back just pull him down from the front entising him with the food.....using lay or drop or down....which ever one.....use the same word all the time.....the dog will get use to the word & the hand signal & know he is going to get something nice when he goes down.....he will soon get use to it.....it is not easy but if you persevere & be consistent he will get the idea......good luck :(