Red Line - Sensor Fault?

PossumCorner

A year or two ago our Nikon D50 took a fall, dropped about three metres and bounced. The fall broke a big chunk out of the bottom corner of the casing. All the wiring and works were visible, so we patched it up with band-aids and duct-tape to keep the dust out and kept shooting as Nikons are supposed to be tough.

It has continued to work beautifully, we did get a D80 as a replacement but have kept using the D50. Last Wednesday at the Royal Melbourne Horse Show it finally spat the dummy, and has put a thin red line into every shot. (It shows on the handler's right leg, full length of the trousers). Looks like it will have to go in to Shutter Box for repair after all - can't complain though. I'm just assuming this is the eventual result of damage from the fall, be interesting to know whether it is.

A photographer at Camera Club suggested the memory card could be faulty rather than the camera: has anyone experienced anything similar?

DSC_5680copy-1.jpg

That looks like a sensor fault to me. Do you have another memory card that you can put in and try though?

Also, I would be taking it direct to Nikon rather than a repair agent. Having worked for a camera wholesaler, it is ALWAYS cheaper to go direct to the source. At the very least contact Nikon and ask them if they repair or who their recommended agent is.

Hang on, I just did a quick check for you, follow the link to find your Nikon approved service agent :cry:

http://www.nikon.com.au/servicecentres.php

• 2 weeks later...