Leaving Puppies Outside 22hrs A Day

Klattsy

Did anyone ask, I have skimmed, whether the dry wall will affect the dogs or not? I would think that the dry wall would not be the best in a dog's body?

Also and this is for my interest... would that shelter be hot during a warm, sunny day? It looks beautiful to me.

The dogs sound like they have good parents, by the way. They also sound like normal dogs and welcome to DOL. Your thread is educating me, too.

Orson chewed my wall before and he doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effect. That said though, he seems to have an iron stomach........

Colorbond fences can get quite warm during summer so I would assume the shelter have the same effect (gets warm). My mum has a steel kennel in the dog run at work and it gets quite hot in the summer (i've experimented :o)

Buy one extreme Kong and see how Jezy goes with it. If you put interesting stuff in it, you will find she will still be interested.

If not, can you cut a plastic container in half (make sure it's a clean cut so no plastic bits hanging etc) and fill it with stock and some treats (ie. chicken necks, wings, biscuits) and freeze it? It will atleast keep them entertained for a while.......It should last longer than the summer as the weather is cooling down......

Klattsy...

may I suggest that the 'doing laps around the yard, chasing the neighbour's dog, etc' which you do with your pups may NOT be the most effective at putting them in a CALM, RELAXED state of mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I repeat, what these two need is a LOT of WALKING on leash..so they HAVE to focus and concentrate....therefore they are mentally and physically exhausted!!!

Games are fine..but as a reward for good behaviour, or as a fill-in.

Their 'main diet' of exercise should be in the form of WORK :)

The more you hype them up around the house, the more they learn that YOu approve of this wild behaviour, and that it is the norm ...

IMO, anyway :D

Not meaning to sound as if I'm lecturing, just trying to explain how it looks to me .

:o

I have to agree with Peresphone (again :D )

They do need more structured exercise and not just games. Walking on a leash teaches them discipline and allows them to explore new surroundings and smells, thus mentally stimulating as well.

In addition, buried treats, kongs, raw meaty bones and other like objects will keep them amused during the many hours that they don't have human interraction.

Are you, or can you take them to obedience and agility training? I think they will benefit greatly from it, if it's a possibility!

Thanks for the help everyone!

We will try to get them out for walks. I am still playing with them in the afternoon, we kick the soccer ball together as they seem to be more active chasing this.

The frozen stock idea sounds interesting!

The shelter isn't too bad as it has a large opening, however the dogs spend the day in the rest of the penned area in the shade so they only really go in at night.

For what it's worth, last night we left them out there all night for the first time after tiring them out in the afternoon and again inside. We checked on them a few times but they had found their bed and were snuggled together this morning. There was also no holes anywhere in the yard!

Thanks again,

Mark & Suzie.

We will try to get them out for walks. I am still playing with them in the afternoon, we kick the soccer ball together as they seem to be more active chasing this.

The shelter isn't too bad as it has a large opening, however the dogs spend the day in the rest of the penned area in the shade so they only really go in at night.

For what it's worth, last night we left them out there all night for the first time after tiring them out in the afternoon and again inside. We checked on them a few times but they had found their bed and were snuggled together this morning. There was also no holes anywhere in the yard!

Thanks again,

Mark & Suzie.

I'm sorry if I come across more blunt than others, I hope you see my good meaning behind it.

We will try to get them out for walks.

It's not about trying, it's about taking them out. If they are being destructive then you need to get up in the morning earlier and take them for a walk to calm their minds, then again in the evening. The majority of us here all work but we get out of bed or give up TV/Computer time to attend to our dogs needs.

The walk needs to be the right amount dependent on their age and fitness level.

Would you be comfortable sleeping on those rocks? It's really not appropriate for a dogs sleeping area, just walking on it would not be comfortable.

Have you considered concreting their kennel area?

Be consistent with the dogs, they either sleep inside or they sleep outside. My opinion is that packs sleep together, so if you don't like them shedding all over the place you could consider A) Looking into a more high quality kibble B) Grooming them daily C) Getting them Hydro bathed D) Get crates for both of them for sleeping inside at night.

We're about to hit winter, is their outside area suitable for Winter?

Bedding generally won't be destroyed if the dogs are getting enough physical and mental stimulation.

Understand what mental stimulation is, it's obedience training, scent games, games and training that makes them think.

I wouldn't be supply them with a whole heap of toys, it's like giving kids 100 toys, they'll pick out their favourites and leave the rest. I would more reccomend giving them 2-4 toys a day and then rotate the toys so these become special and interesting.

Give them something to do for when they're awake in the day, a sandpit (teach them how to dig and play in it), a paddling pool, Kong & Treat balls, frozen treats, granted the dogs won't fight over food.

Good Luck.

Tired dogs are good dogs :)

I also reckon a walk would help.

Even a short walk around the block settles my dogs far out of proportion to the exercise involved- is all the different sights, smells etc.

Is good for me, too, and once I'm out there it's easier to keep going!

Walk, swim, walk, swim over and over as often as possible. Of course I am not sure where you are situated but its not too cold yet for a good dog to have a swim and some breeds, such as certain gundogs, could/should swim all year.

But that is work they will enjoy and swimming will certainly tire them out.

I also agree with someone elses comment about allowing them in while you eat. I fyou had two young children would you put them to bed everynight or lock them up while you eat? Becasue your dogs are teenagers, and I can tell you I wish my teenage students were as easy to train as our teenage dogs. Like teenagers, your dogs need to know what the boundaries are and what the ramifications are if they cross those boundaries. If you eat in front of them, make them sit quietly on an inside bed or in a certain spot. Where they can see you at the dinner table but dont interact with them - this is thier quite time while you have your dinner and they will very quickly learn that.

And Shellbyville is correct - blankets from Vinnies are really cheap and easy to replace - but a hint, dont tell Vinnies you wan them for the dogs. Sometimes they get a little upset.

Good luck.

Honestly, they need more stimulation, imagine being in your house/yard all day, all very good to run around a play but if you can't acually get out you woudl get incedibly bored.

With the toys, try cycling them, having all their toys out at once will mean they get bored of them. So change them around every few days so there is always something different.

I can't stress enough how important getting them out and about is, today we got a little "please take me for a walk" letter from Mac, a hole in the yard, Harry barks if he goes a few days without walks, Sophie gets too boistrous and Buster starts getting over excited.

Maybe have a read up on clicker training aswell, once you get going and the dog starts offeriung behaviours, you can really work them out mentally if you can't them out for a walk. Buster hasn't got as much need for excercise, but I have to make sure I do some training with him the everyday thats goign to work his head, today its a mix of agility, heel training and clicker training

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Look into getting a dog walker to come in DAILY.

Take them for a good off lead romp BEFORE and AFTER work

Do NOT leave them outside for 22 hours a day on a bed of cold hard stones.I would guess this would drive any dog nuts and leave them very unhappy,bored and lonely :rofl: Dogs are social creatures that do not do well being left to their own devices for so many hours a day.

Re-home with a family that has the time and energy to devote to these dogs,with owners who don't work long hours a day like you guys do.To be honest your situation does not sound very accommodating for dogs....

My best piece of advice would be to re-home with a family that has the time to devote to these dogs.

And lets not forget that owning a dog is a privilege....not a right.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Look into getting a dog walker to come in DAILY.

Take them for a good off lead romp BEFORE and AFTER work

Do NOT leave them outside for 22 hours a day on a bed of cold hard stones.I would guess this would drive any dog nuts and leave them very unhappy,bored and lonely :rofl: Dogs are social creatures that do not do well being left to their own devices for so many hours a day.

Re-home with a family that has the time and energy to devote to these dogs,with owners who don't work long hours a day like you guys do.To be honest your situation does not sound very accommodating for dogs....

My best piece of advice would be to re-home with a family that has the time to devote to these dogs.

And lets not forget that owning a dog is a privilege....not a right.

Totally agree about rehoming them, IMO if you don't have time for a dog you shouldn't own one, they are not garden ornaments!

Whn you look at it, if your working 10 hours a day, and sleeping 8 hours a day. thats 6 hours a day left, say you want 2 hours to wash/cook/eat etc than its four hours a day. Thats not a hell of a lot of time.

But than we all go through those stages, so a dog walked may not be a bad idea, something for them to do during the day, maybe look into kongs?

Thanks again,

Mark & Suzie.

Sorry to be harsh, but I don't think you are listening to what a few people have said. I know you are spending the time you have with your dogs, but if you have active young dogs then all the exercise in the world is only going to get them fit and mean that they are going to be able to go for longer and be more destructive because they do so. You perhaps have to think about what you are doing with them.

It's great you are playing with your pups, but if you want them to settle and sleep the night through then nothing beats training, training and more training. Don't think it has to be hard core obedience, it can be fun stuff like tricks or agility (OK, a base in obedience helps), or frisbee, what ever, just make them think. Chasing a soccer ball doesn't make them think, it gets them fit and wanting more.

Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than seeing a fit dog, but I work similar hours to what you do (just about to head home now in fact), but I'm out the door and off to flyball, then tomorrow morning we'll be working on freestyle frisbee - Friday night is our only night off some sort of structured training either at home or at a club and even then we will probably do something. It only has to be 10 or 15 minutes per dog, but make sure they are thinking.

Thanks again,

Mark & Suzie.

Sorry to be harsh, but I don't think you are listening to what a few people have said. I know you are spending the time you have with your dogs, but if you have active young dogs then all the exercise in the world is only going to get them fit and mean that they are going to be able to go for longer and be more destructive because they do so. You perhaps have to think about what you are doing with them.

It's great you are playing with your pups, but if you want them to settle and sleep the night through then nothing beats training, training and more training. Don't think it has to be hard core obedience, it can be fun stuff like tricks or agility (OK, a base in obedience helps), or frisbee, what ever, just make them think. Chasing a soccer ball doesn't make them think, it gets them fit and wanting more.

Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than seeing a fit dog, but I work similar hours to what you do (just about to head home now in fact), but I'm out the door and off to flyball, then tomorrow morning we'll be working on freestyle frisbee - Friday night is our only night off some sort of structured training either at home or at a club and even then we will probably do something. It only has to be 10 or 15 minutes per dog, but make sure they are thinking.

I totally agree with Reddii. I would also suggest mental stimulation above all.

Maybe look into clicker training? When I teach my dogs with free shaping they have to think so much that they sleep for hours just after 5min of training :(

My dogs are young but not destructive at all, mostly because of all the training (obedience, agility, flyball or frisbee) that we do every day.

I definetley agree clicker training is worth having a go at. I love doing it with Buster, I might give him a random object and start freeshaping, I can see everything ticking through his mind as he thinks things through trying to work out what I want, works a treat.

(in one 5 minute training session I had him repeatedly putting his head on his paws, I didn't say a word and I didn't make a move except to hand him the treats yet I was able to communicate slowly, exactly what I was asking him to do)

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering why you got the dogs in the first place? Your dogs are bored and untrained. They have little positive physical and mental stimulation. Get those runners on, take them to the beach, take them to training,let them into your life or contact a rescue group. The photos are gone but the text is sufficient. Harsh? yep