Puppy Weeing In Her Bed

Baileys mum

I have had my 9 week old Aussie Terrier puppy for a week now & I've been trying to crate train her. I take her to the toilet about every hour at the moment, sometimes she goes & sometimes she doesn't. I also put her in a puppy play pen during the day, where she has toys to play with & I put a puppy training pad in there, which she has been using successfully ;) The problem is she has wet her bed about 3 times while she has been in her crate. This always seems to happen in her sleep ( she seems to be a very deep sleeper & sometimes sleeps up to 3 hours at a time.) Is it normal for a puppy to sometimes have an accident in her bed? I thought that the whole point of crate training was for the puppy to learn to go to the toilet in the right spot. :) I also read in a puppy training book that puppies will not go to the toilet where they sleep. She is a very happy puppy, seems very healthy, & has a great appetite. Do you think it would be wise to wake her up from her sleep & bring her to the toilet, before she does it in her bed?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm getting annoyed with constantly having to wash her bed. :vomit:

Thanks In advance :p

Firstly take a deep breath, relax and don't get annoyed with the puppy.

You are dealing with a baby and yes sometimes accidents will happen. Puppies will not normally urinate where they sleep but if they are crated and cannot go to a different area and their baby bodies have the urge to go, then yes they may go where they are.

Remember they are learning and stay relaxed about it. Just continue to reinforce the all the right toileting behaviours as you have been doing. Ensure that you clean any surface including bedding to remove any trace/scent of the previous accident as well.

When I was toilet training my pup it was roughly every hour up until 10pm, if he was asleep, we would wake him and take him out, he hated getting out of bed in the winter but we were consistant.

After 10 pm he was usually all peed out as after 8pm his water bowl only had enough in it to have a couple of slurps and that was it.

If one of us got up in the early hr of the morning to go to the toilet ourselves, we would wake him up and take him outside for a wee as well.

Remember she is still a baby and you will have accidents like aranyoz said, just clean it up, change the blankets with no fuss and reinforce heaps of positive praise when she has gone to the toilet.

Your on the right track.

BnB

Ideally, pup should have very little extra space to wee in the crate.

Crate should be big enough only so that pup can stand and turn around, otherwise they'll toilet in the opposite end of crate defeating the whole purpose.

You might need to put in a big box inside for a young puppy. Some crates have a partition for this reason, too.

Also suggest newpaper for crate, no proper bedding until pup is older.

You could also try an old blanket as pup gets better with toileting- easy to wash.

Toilet training needs vigilance and persistence!

Be patient with pup- most failures are due to us as owners..

• 3 weeks later...