Teaching A Puppy To Use A Doggy Door

kimness

I have two puppies, one (Freckles) is happy to use the doggy door to go outside and do her business. The other (Bruno) will use the door when Freckles or I hold him open for him, otherwise he just sits there staring at the door.

I have tried luring him out with treats but he just won't go through unless its held open. He won't even come through when it's half open.

I'm out of ideas. Until now I was holding the door up permanently with string, but it's getting too cold and defeats the purpose of the doggy door. Can anyone help?

I have two puppies, one (Freckles) is happy to use the doggy door to go outside and do her business. The other (Bruno) will use the door when Freckles or I hold him open for him, otherwise he just sits there staring at the door.

I have tried luring him out with treats but he just won't go through unless its held open. He won't even come through when it's half open.

I'm out of ideas. Until now I was holding the door up permanently with string, but it's getting too cold and defeats the purpose of the doggy door. Can anyone help?

We held it open and took it in turns calling inside and out with my wife and I on opposite sides (sounds familier?) Once he was walking through happily we started to let the door lay on his back once his head was past it so he got used to that sensation. we then started to release the door earlier and earlier until it was only open by an inch or so which he would have to open with his muzzle. Once he was at this stage we started calling him with a gold treat such as chicken breast.

It took about 20 minutes or so in one hit but he is a pointer and so far more inteligent than your average dog :D :)

Is he crateing? Why not put his crate door open up to the doggie door so that his space is confined and he has the choice of soiling his crate or using the door. I am pretty sure the door will be the choice he takes! :)

We did similar things here, although neither of them have worked out how to come back in :laugh: Getting him used to the door on his back is a big thing I think. The problem we have is when they try to go straight after one another, and the one at the back has it flick back in their face!!

We also did what Luke Dixon said. They now run through the doggy door and I don't know how they don't get concussion doing it :laugh:

We've got some foster dogs at the moment as well and they had never used a doggy door before either, now they love it! We had to lure them out with treats first, one of us on either side showing them how it's done. A little bit of watching the girls, and they've picked it up.

Only took a day or two for them to work it out.

Can you replace the "door" with something clear they can see through that may not be as heavy to start with?

Do what the others have said with so far as training.. But rather than the heavy weather door.. maybe some light clear plastic to start with.. so he gets used to that first and the feel of it going over the back.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you replace the "door" with something clear they can see through that may not be as heavy to start with?

Do what the others have said with so far as training.. But rather than the heavy weather door.. maybe some light clear plastic to start with.. so he gets used to that first and the feel of it going over the back.

This is what we did with our Cavaliers when we first installed our doggie door

• 2 weeks later...

Kimness I have one made of perspex and my deerhound puppy learned to use it in less than 48 hours. I think the key is to push him through it, this way he gets to know that it really doesn't hurt his nose. I just get my pup around the ribs and gently shove him through it.

EDIT: PS I should have said that I had to do this many. many times. :laugh:

Edited by DeerhoundLover

• 2 weeks later...

We have just brought home a new Basenji x puppy.

Can someone please give me a clue on what size doggy door would be suitable?

I know it is a bit difficult as we don't know his x but assume Jack Russel or Foxie.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As you can't know yet what size he will grow to I would make it large enough for the largest he can get, as long as the hinges are not stiff it is just as easy to operate as a small one. Ours is large enough for a very large GSD but the cats use it too.

I agree, replace the door part.

My boy kept trying to push the door like it was a 'human' door and it would swing back and hit him on the head, poor boy. :champagne: I took the door off for a couple of days so he could go in and out the hole, then I replaced the door part with a clear plastic flap using tabletop protector from Lincraft. I did put the door back on at one stage and he had no problems going thru it - I think he was used to the idea of just shoving his head through. But then I decided i preferred the silent sound of the plastic rather than the constant banging of the dog door.

We did something similar with out doggy door, but ours was clear. As others suggest, try replacing it with a clear bit of plastic or maybe thick clear rubbery-type stuff (I'm not sure what it's called). It only took Keeda a few minutes to learn how to use it because with the clear door, she could see us waving the flap back and forth and calling for her on the other side.