Puppy Hernia

stargazer0028

my eight week old puppy has a hernia Im not that worried about it as the vet says its ok but it just looks a bit big my old dog that died at 15 had one too but it never worried her at all I was just wandering is there a home remedy to help make it go back in without surgery , just looks a bit big to me thats all!!!

post-23364-1207017228_thumb.jpg

My golden retriever has one and that will be fixed when he is desexed.

Your pups hernia does look rather large, I'd just keep an eye on it :rofl: As long as pup is not in pain and eating/going to toilet, all is okay.

HAve it repaired when you desex at around 5-6 months of age.

Sometimes people push it back in to check it's still OK. Hernias can be a problem if they get stuck on the outside and "strangulated"- where the blood supply gets cut off. Is a vet emergency in that case.

HAve the vet recheck it with the next vaccinations.

This is going back years to when I used to breed. The method then was to strap or tape a coin over the hernia to hold it in place and let the muscle rejoin. I don't know if this is still done but it worked for me on one occasion.

edited spelling

Edited by Janba

well thanks for all your reply's I will keep a close eye on it, it feels pretty soft to touch it just looks big to me Ill get the vet to have another look at it when shes due for her 12 week vaccination , doesnt seem to worry her I think Im just being a worry wart , My old dog had one she lived to 15 yrs of age so Im gonna just try to forget about till I speak to the vet ... thanks again

well thanks for all your reply's I will keep a close eye on it, it feels pretty soft to touch it just looks big to me Ill get the vet to have another look at it when shes due for her 12 week vaccination , doesnt seem to worry her I think Im just being a worry wart , My old dog had one she lived to 15 yrs of age so Im gonna just try to forget about till I speak to the vet ... thanks again

Don't forget about but it but don't stress about it either. You should definately keep an eye on a hernia of that size. Check it every day to ensure that it is still the same colour and that no strangulation of blood vessels or internal organs has occurred which is the worst case scenario.

If you think that it has drastically changed shape or colour check with your vet immediately.

Simba had a hernia also. He had his fixed when he was desexed.

One vet told me to keep pushing it back in but another said if he teared it on something

it could do a lot of damage. I went with the safer option and got it fixed.

Try not to worry it's not a major issue. But get it fixed asap. :)

XXtoughgirlXX

post-5373-1207741323_thumb.jpg