Microchipping And A Register

pennyw74

My puppy is microchipped but I've heard that it isn't enough.

Do I have to register her somewhere myself?

If so, where do I register her (I'm in Sydney).

I don't mean with the local council but is there some pet register I should be using?

There is also the following in which you can register your dog. It's a free service with an ID tag.

www.petregister.com.au

There is no use registering though unless your dog wears collar and tags all the time :worship:

HI penny ;you should have recieveied change of owner ship papers when you got your pup?did you get them /if so your local council will contact you ;if you didnt recieve; them I would be checking with the breeder as to why not

microchipping still relies on the honesty of the person finding a stray dog to hand them in, and we all can atest to how many non honest people there are in this world, especially when it comes to a cute puppy.

Some basic advice (we are in the process of putting together a lost pet guide soon to help guide people in this area).

- register your dog with one of the australia wide microchip registries (AAR, CAR, petsafe), you pay to register on them. (These registries don't rely on a tag)

- if you have a good relationship with your neighbours, help your dog build a good relationship with them too, so they get to know your dog's behaviour and recognise the noises if something is wrong. eg neighbours often ignore barking dogs, when this can sometimes be a signal that someone is in your property, so if your neighbours know your dog and can recognise this, it may help prevent other crimes too.

- regularly take photos of your dog so you can show people what your dog looks like incase your dog goes missing

- Desex your dog - we have seen that you have a better chance at getting your dog back if it is desexed. Also helps stop them wandering in the first place.

- Don't assume that your gate will stay closed without a chain or padlock - wind, kids, adults, meter readers, all open gates, and they don't always shut them.

Penny the breeeder should have sent the duplicate paper to her council & you will in time hear from your local council ;then the next step is to lifetime registar your pet; hope this info helps ;cheers ; ps your pup has to be lifetime registared by the age of 6 mnths your breeder should have informed you of this !!if you want more info feel free to pm me

Our puppy isn't registered with any council as yet (she's just 18 weeks old).

We got her papers from the breeder and the microchipping papers but that's it.

Have you checked with your council what age they need her registered? Not having a dig, but most local councils require dogs to be registered from 3 months (12 weeks).

Our puppy isn't registered with any council as yet (she's just 18 weeks old).

We got her papers from the breeder and the microchipping papers but that's it.

Have you checked with your council what age they need her registered? Not having a dig, but most local councils require dogs to be registered from 3 months (12 weeks).

Yes, have found out - 6 months - cheaper if she's desexed.

The microchip details should be registered on a database. I suggest you contact the breeder and see who the microchips were registered with and if she has sent in a change of ownership form or if you need to.

Hi penny

As others have said your pup does need to be lifetime registered by 6 months. However Council should already have your pup on the Companion Animal Register already as microchipped but not registered. This should happen automatically when you complete a change of ownership form with your breeder when you collected your pup.

That form then needs to be lodged with a Council by the old owner (breeder) within 14 days of sale. THe Council will then change the details to you on the register and send you a "Certificate of Identification".

If you dont have the certificate by now you could call your council and give them the microchip number to check if it has been changed over yet. If not, and its been more than a couple of weeks I would calling the breeder to see if they have sent in the paperwork.

You do not have to be on any private registers although it can be a good idea as not all vets have access to the Council register in case of an emergency or if you travel interstate with your pup. In NSW the popular private register is the Australian Animal Registry managed by the RAS and its a National database. Your vet should have forms to place your puppy on this register if you like.

Also, nowadays all vets can gain access to the NSW Companion Animal Register (same as Council uses) to lookup chips only. If your vet does not have access to this I would encourage you to discuss it with them as some do not know they can gain access. If they want access their local Council animal management deptartment will (should) point them in the right direction.

Remember though if you place your puppy on a number of registers you need to change all of them if you move house.

Hope this helps.

In NSW when a pup is microchipped the permanent identification papers are subitted to coucil and the chip number is registered with the NSW Companion Animal Register. When you buy a pup change of owner forms are submitted to council and you recieve a Certificate of Identification from the coucil where the forms were submitted (the council where the breeder is located). If you don't get this you need to check with your breeder!!

In NSW dogs need to be registered from 6 months of age. When your pup is desexed you take the Certificate of Identification and desexing certificate and register them then. That is lifetime registraion for all of NSW. If you change councils you do a change of owner form but do not need to re-register with the new coucil. If you move outside of NSW, you need to register with the local council and also with a national database, as not all pounds in all states check on the NSW register.

If you are staying in NSW, it is optional to register the chip number with a national database such as the Australasian Animal Register (run by the Royal Agricultural Society), they have a downloadable form on their website. That means if you dog is lost or stolen and moved out of state, it is listed on a national database.

In NSW dogs do not need to wear coucil tags but when outside the yard need to wear a collar and identification tag with a name and phone number on it.

All of this aims to protect your animal is lost, so that you can be contacted if it is found. As petsearch said however, it doesn't protect against your dog being stolen or found by a dishonest person.

Hi

Im confused by the two step process. Theres microchipping which registers your dog with NSW companion register and records your details. But why is there also a need to pay $40 to register with council?

Its a 2 step preocess because the purpose of the NSW Companion Animal Act is more than just identification.

The Companion Animal Register operates under the Act. Firstly dogs are identified as puppies so if they are lost or end up in the pound the owner can be notified and retrieve their animal. The lifetime registration process in NSW unifies all councils under the same procedure and the cost of registration is $150 for undesexed animals, $40 for desexed animal (unless you are a registered breeder or a dog is in an exempt category). The difference in costs is an incentive to desex your animal. If you choose not to register your animal, desexed or otherwise, there are penalties in place. If your dog is impounded and not registered you may have to pay registration, a fine for the animal not being registered, as well as pound release fees. In the same way rangers in NSW can scan animals that are out of the yard, or may visit you if there is a complaint, and can scan your animals and impose fines if they are not registered.

Hope this helps, there is also info on the Dept of Local Gov't website.

I'm going to have to look back through the paperwork but this is what I remember.

When I picked up my puppy, I filled out the pink microchip form with all my details.

A couple of weeks later, I received a printout (which looked like it was printed from a website) with her microchip number and my details on it. I cannot recall who it was sent from (I will check when I get home). Is this what comes from the council where the breeder is located? I have also received her papers.

That is all I have ever received.