Skin Condition On Neck

sas

Do you use any spot ons??

Yep, we use Advantix. Typically we don't need to use flea preventative but Sydney has a flea infestation at the moment and so we have to treat every 2 weeks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you feeding dry food? What else are you feeding. Is it worse when you feed a particular food?

He's been through a number of different foods with nothing being noted as being better or worse. He's a Great Dane puppy just out of his critical growth period so prior to now we really couldn't mess with his foods too much.

There has been nothing that stands out. Food allergies are apprantly the rarest.

I'm about to go back to making my own BARF as unfortunately it would cost over $150 to feed him Dr Billinghurst Patties each week.

He can't have the intra-dermal testing as they need to be off Cortisone to do so which he can't manage at this stage.

No, I don't believe there is a Zinc issue.

Once thought to be Staph Infection but Anti-biotics didn't clear it up.

How long was he on the antibiotics for? A lot of vets make the mistake of not putting them on a long enough course for staph.... you need at least a 31 day course to clear it from the system often...

Regarding the cortisone you can try taking him off the cortisone, but do other things like bathing every third day and rinsing the skin every day to keep the allergens off the coat to see if you can at least get the testing done... Its a lot to go through, I remember taking Zayda off her antihistamines for her testing and it was horrible, but it was worth it in the long run to get her cleared up... now we don't have skin infections because we are able to treat her knowing what is wrong and what we need to avoid... Same with Asher... The testing sucks when you can't treat them, but its worth it in the long run... :rofl:

Also a tip I have is that we use episoothe rather than the malaseb regularly because we find it keeps their coat in better condition: they get worse skin quicker with the malaseb... we now only use that when we do get a bit of infection - we put it on the spot with infection, say the foot, and do the rest of the coat with the Episoothe... Of course you need to know that the dog is not allergic to oatmeal to use the episoothe...

I have a dog with problem skin and he gets something which sounds similar. He has allergies and gets secondary bacterial and fungal infevtions, so for a flare up I use a mix, so not sure which helps. If antibiotics aren't working and steriods aren't stopping it might be worth trying an antifungal. Resolve cream you can get at a pharmacy and slather on. That said, I did think most crusty sores were caused by bacteria. Goodluck.

He can't have the intra-dermal testing as they need to be off Cortisone to do so which he can't manage at this stage.

No, I don't believe there is a Zinc issue.

Once thought to be Staph Infection but Anti-biotics didn't clear it up.

How long was he on the antibiotics for? A lot of vets make the mistake of not putting them on a long enough course for staph.... you need at least a 31 day course to clear it from the system often...

Regarding the cortisone you can try taking him off the cortisone, but do other things like bathing every third day and rinsing the skin every day to keep the allergens off the coat to see if you can at least get the testing done... Its a lot to go through, I remember taking Zayda off her antihistamines for her testing and it was horrible, but it was worth it in the long run to get her cleared up... now we don't have skin infections because we are able to treat her knowing what is wrong and what we need to avoid... Same with Asher... The testing sucks when you can't treat them, but its worth it in the long run... :rofl:

Also a tip I have is that we use episoothe rather than the malaseb regularly because we find it keeps their coat in better condition: they get worse skin quicker with the malaseb... we now only use that when we do get a bit of infection - we put it on the spot with infection, say the foot, and do the rest of the coat with the Episoothe... Of course you need to know that the dog is not allergic to oatmeal to use the episoothe...

Thank you for your advice, however it's either around the 30-60 day mark off cortisone I can't qute remember to get the intra-dermal testing done.

I will not be taking him off cortisone at this stage. I fought for so long not to put him on it but in the end it was cruel not to have him on it, the absolute agony he is in off cortisone is not fair on him, he literally rips open nipples, he will be bright red, itching 24/7, that's not fair to put any animal through, that's what they have the blood test for, not as good as intra-dermal but some animals just can't get off the cortisone to get tested.

There are different types of allergies, rinsing the coat is only for contact allergies, you also have inhallent allergies and food allergies/intollerance.

Episoothe doesn't cut the mustard either unfortunately.

Edited by sas

I have a dog with problem skin and he gets something which sounds similar. He has allergies and gets secondary bacterial and fungal infevtions, so for a flare up I use a mix, so not sure which helps. If antibiotics aren't working and steriods aren't stopping it might be worth trying an antifungal. Resolve cream you can get at a pharmacy and slather on. That said, I did think most crusty sores were caused by bacteria. Goodluck.

Thanks heaps, treating for fungal was the first thing we tried :rofl:

Sas, when you use the Pyohex are you leaving it on the affected area for ten minutes? Also Pyohex do a Leave In Lotion now which some clients are finding beneficial. If it's any consolation I have quite a few clients atm whose skin has gone to hell with hot spot type irritations - so obviously seasonal as owners say it happens each year.

Your vet sounds on the ball, but there is a vet near you also who has a special interest in derm. related issues. Dr Rosalie Mathews at Gladesville Vet (9817 5758). Perhaps she can give you some further insight?

Yep, we use Advantix. Typically we don't need to use flea preventative but Sydney has a flea infestation at the moment and so we have to treat every 2 weeks.

So in otherwords, he's getting bitten by fleas enough that you need to put it on every 2 weeks. Could it just be flea allergy then?

Sas, when you use the Pyohex are you leaving it on the affected area for ten minutes? Also Pyohex do a Leave In Lotion now which some clients are finding beneficial. If it's any consolation I have quite a few clients atm whose skin has gone to hell with hot spot type irritations - so obviously seasonal as owners say it happens each year.

Your vet sounds on the ball, but there is a vet near you also who has a special interest in derm. related issues. Dr Rosalie Mathews at Gladesville Vet (9817 5758). Perhaps she can give you some further insight?

Yep to the 10 minutes. We used to have success with the cream, this week it's just not doing anything to it, it's actually got worse.

Thanks for that, I'll give her a call!

So in otherwords, he's getting bitten by fleas enough that you need to put it on every 2 weeks. Could it just be flea allergy then?

Not as such, out Vet has asked us to apply every 2 weeks as even just one flea bite can have a dog scratching for 2 weeks especially on a sensitive dog like Dante. Sydney is having a flea infestation at the moment so it's a preventative method.

The skin issue itself isn't consistent with a flea allergy, I wish it were that simple.

There are different types of allergies, rinsing the coat is only for contact allergies, you also have inhallent allergies and food allergies/intollerance.

Yep, I know... we have all the allergy types in this house between the two dogs... Rinsing the coat can work with atopic (sometimes called inhalant) allergies as well because it keeps the load of allergens in the most immediate area (on the dog) down, i.e.: the pollens, moulds etc. that cling to the coat are not given that opportunity to hang around and irritate (by being inhaled, ingested etc.)... Its not perfect, but it can help and make a difference for some...

Have you tried the Heska Elisa Blood test, that would at least be a start at least... Certainly give you some idea of what maybe going on! :)

Good luck... I hope you find some answers...

Edited by zayda_asher

Another thought: Has your vet spoken to you about Atopica? Its been quite successful for a lot of dogs according to our dermatologist and doesn't have the side effects of the steroids... might be a good alternative for you??

Hi Sas,

I cant help with a cure for the lumps but I can offer advice on the allergy blood test. We have a GSD bitch who 12 months ago had such bad allergies that almost all her hair came out, she was covered in scabs and her ears were sore, her feet were chewed to the bone almost. We had the SPOT blood test done and started on the de-sensitizing injections on 28th Sept 2007. Now she is off all cortizone, has grown her hair back, no longer chews her feet and her ears are only occasionally itchy. The only time I find she starts to get a bit itchy is about a week before her next injection is due but we give her a polaramine and it settles her. Some may say that the blood test is no good but I have living proof in my bitch that it can work. Its worth a try, a lot cheaper than the intra-dermal testing AND a lot less invasive to the dog and he doesnt have to come off cortisone for the testing to be done. Also the SPOT test can test for food allergies whereas the intra-dermal cant. Good Luck!

Yep, I know... we have all the allergy types in this house between the two dogs... Rinsing the coat can work with atopic (sometimes called inhalant) allergies as well because it keeps the load of allergens in the most immediate area (on the dog) down, i.e.: the pollens, moulds etc. that cling to the coat are not given that opportunity to hang around and irritate (by being inhaled, ingested etc.)... Its not perfect, but it can help and make a difference for some...

Have you tried the Heska Elisa Blood test, that would at least be a start at least... Certainly give you some idea of what maybe going on! :)

Good luck... I hope you find some answers...

I think information is being missed that I have posted :rolleyes:

We will be doing the blood test once winter has kicked in if there if no difference in skin condition.

Another thought: Has your vet spoken to you about Atopica? Its been quite successful for a lot of dogs according to our dermatologist and doesn't have the side effects of the steroids... might be a good alternative for you??

Just looking at the spec sheet, looks interesting. I'll ask the Vet.

I think information is being missed that I have posted :)

We will be doing the blood test once winter has kicked in if there if no difference in skin condition.

Ah, no worries... I must've missed or misread, that's what I get for trying to do too much at the same time! lol Good luck with it then if it comes to that...

I know quite a few people who say the atopica has been a "miracle" for their dogs so its worth checking out!

Hi Sas,

I cant help with a cure for the lumps but I can offer advice on the allergy blood test. We have a GSD bitch who 12 months ago had such bad allergies that almost all her hair came out, she was covered in scabs and her ears were sore, her feet were chewed to the bone almost. We had the SPOT blood test done and started on the de-sensitizing injections on 28th Sept 2007. Now she is off all cortizone, has grown her hair back, no longer chews her feet and her ears are only occasionally itchy. The only time I find she starts to get a bit itchy is about a week before her next injection is due but we give her a polaramine and it settles her. Some may say that the blood test is no good but I have living proof in my bitch that it can work. Its worth a try, a lot cheaper than the intra-dermal testing AND a lot less invasive to the dog and he doesnt have to come off cortisone for the testing to be done. Also the SPOT test can test for food allergies whereas the intra-dermal cant. Good Luck!

It's great to hear a positive story! I'm glad you're girl is more comfortable now!

Do you mind if I ask out of curiosity:

What your girl was allergic too?

How much was the Spot Test?

How long did the test take to come back?

How much are the ongoing injections?

How long was it before you could take her off the Cortisone?

I think information is being missed that I have posted :)

Ah, no worries... I must've missed or misread, that's what I get for trying to do too much at the same time! lol Good luck with it then if it comes to that...

I know quite a few people who say the atopica has been a "miracle" for their dogs so its worth checking out!

Definately, shall head to the Vet tomorrow to ask about it, thanks :rolleyes:

Did a Malaseb wash last night for the full 10 minutes and he now has rashed up on his tummy and has new spots, 2 of which are on his head *throws hands in the air*

Off to the Vets this Morning to talk to them about the different options people have mentioned in this thread, thanks guys :)