Photography Websites

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

I'm after some new ones.

Already know about Redbubble, PassionforPixels, Betterphoto, Onexposure etc.

Any good recommendations? Esp ones with competitions :rofl:

Tess, why don't you look at joining the aipp as an associate member?

Once you have the membership the website has heaps of info that will help you with building your business such as contracts, etc.

Also the info nights they put on are brilliant (even if you do have to listen to a fair bit of mutual back slapping amongst all the useful stuff).

Just a thought...

Is AIPP the one where you have to send in the application and prove that you are a professional photographer according to them and be recommended by two members as well? Or is that a different one?

Is AIPP the one where you have to send in the application and prove that you are a professional photographer according to them and be recommended by two members as well? Or is that a different one?

Same one: but you only need the two recommendations based on your portfolio from two members if it is full membership you are applying for. The recommendations are not required for Affiliate Membership, and the benefits seem worthwhile. Affiliate is pro rata $270 if joining in May, about $350 for a full year. I didn't join, think I was gearing up with archery stuff when I was thinking about it last year, and couldn't afford both. Is on my short list, but it's a very long short list.

Yep. Full membership needs to have a portfolio approved by two full members. You don't need arty work for this, just work that is techincally correct (composition, exposure etc)

Affiliate/associate membership doesn't need a folio approved - and you still get access to the useful stuff like contracts, etc.

ETA: Also the 'according to them' bit - you have to be working in the industry for two years full time as one part of acceptance, the other part is having a folio of a certain standard. Wouldn't be a very good professional association if they just let in anyone with a camera. :love:

Edited by Ashanali

I just know someone who runs a photographic business full time (has done for at least 18 years now) BUT according to them didn't qualify as a professional photographer!

Might have more to do with the quality of their work than their full time status. Perhaps they didn't choose the best photos for their folio evaluation and that may have let them down. (I have no idea of course, just random thoughts after not getting much sleep.)

The quality of the work is the equal of any other of its type in the country but it was quite amazing they were rejected. That was a few years ago though.

I am signed up with an overseas stock library but only have a handful of shots uploaded as what I consider a brilliant shot they see oh a racehorse and mark it down compared to some arty thing (yesI was insulted when they marked a photo one ranking down so it could not be seen by the prospective photo buyer when other less clear ones went straight through). Therefore its hard to accept what many organisations consider brilliant compared to average when arty stuff is so often favoured.

Makes you wonder doesn't it Rubiton.

Even some photo comps I am left scratching my head (others too).

Forget horses....but photograph an elderly person in a foreign

land (preferably with oriental looks) chain smoking and you might be on a winner!

Must be smoking and must have lots of wrinkles though :love:

Photo workshop

The above is a link to a photography website. It is related to these Photo workshop books, but there are plenty of things you could do if you haven't got a book, you don't need to have a book to join it.

They have contests, but I'm not sure if you have to be a paying member to enter them. It is an American based website too.

They have a section where you can have a portfolio - you have to pay to be able to have one of them.

Have a look at it yourself. It might not be what you're looking for.

Makes you wonder doesn't it Rubiton.

Even some photo comps I am left scratching my head (others too).

land (preferably with oriental looks) chain smoking and you might be on a winner!

Must be smoking and must have lots of wrinkles though :)

LOL - yes exactly. Forget being able to capture that brilliant sporting moment thats easy (apparently) go for that person pic (and its scarey I can picture the exact type of image!!)

And that person pic must be in black and white too - adds more character or something

Edited by rubiton

Must be smoking and must have lots of wrinkles though

Saw a winning photo of just that in a mag recently. The photo was of an elderly gent smoking a cigar in Cuba - real cliche. Shot had a LOT of dodge and burn going on by the look of it.