Dog Wants To Eat Cats When Out Walking

Ok, so now that Evie has gotten better at loose lead walking we have a new problem. CATS.

She hates them and whenever we come across one will go completely nuts. Ive tried all my usual tricks: the old sit-drop-stay-focus, squirt of the water bottle, collar correction, praise when she calms and treat distraction. But nothing gets through once that cat is seen. Basically all I can do is drag her away.

Tips?

Guest The Warden

Good luck, apart from seeing a trainer and using techniques that probably aren't suitable for us to use without professional guidance I doubt there is anything that will really help.

I've got the same with Chopper and Ivan. There doesn't even have to be a cat. Even passing a garden where they once saw a cat is enough to set them off :confused: I correct them and soldier on. I just accepted that they aren't good around cats. Not helpful to you, just letting you know you're not alone :eek:

Buster also can't stand cats outsid ethe yard, Elliot he is fine with, but everyhting else is fair game. As is everything except birds and people outside the yard :confused: I genrally just try to be aware of my surroundings and soldier on aswell.

ETA

With a lot of work, this could probably be controlled, maybe a well trained "focus" and heel will overcome the reactions (but not the problem) but it just nto as high on my list of "Things to fix with Buster" as things like his DA

Edited by busterlove

I have the same problem with the Salukis if the cats are silly enough to run. If the cats just sit there, no problem.

Anyway, I figure it's a Saluki, it's hardwired to chase small furry things that run. So I fall back on management and physically pull her in close by her collar and keep her right at my knee while walking briskly until she forgets about the cat and then I slacken the lead back again as a reward. If I have timed it right, she doesn't look back. If I haven't, she shoots back to the end of the lead and we try again.

One thing to watch - if you see a cat, don't give any indication that you have. I reckon half the time dogs pick up that there is a cat/dog/rabbit/roo because of our reactions, not because they've spotted it. Sometimes my dogs have sailed on past something they'd find very distracting because I've made an effort not to signal to them.

I have a greyhound that wants to eat cats, bunnies etc. I have taught her the command "leave it" which means come to heal and ignore whatever you were doing. Works great for small furry dogs, food she has stolen off the counter, rubbish from the bin etc. I started teaching the command with "safe" thing like my other dogs, rubbish, toys until she knew what it meant. Then moved on to friends dogs and now she is great out walking. Of course being a greyhound she has to be onlead and muzzled at all times. I wouldnt trust her with a cat or bunny off lead. I can take her to the park and let her offlead (illegally) so she can play with other dogs and she will still "leave it" if she looks overly interested in a small fluffy. She will even "leave it" mid flight after a dog she is playing with. Of course we only play safely and the muzzle never comes off. Any small dogs and she is straight back onlead. I would never put her in a position to fail and if she is too hyped up she does not get off the lead at all.

There is no instant fix, just lots of training and constant reinforcement. I wouldnt trust her offlead with cats regardless of her training.

Hi Deelee2,

I have no advice on your new cat situation, but I would like to let you know that it was the advice from your thread about loose lead walking that got my girl for finally walk on a loose lead too. I never thought it would be possible.

Thanks for posting that question, and to the people who gave her advice as it was your tips that really helped me.

sandra

yay for Dol!!! :rofl:

Glad your dog is walking well Sandra 77- that thread helped me immensely too. Glad my naughty mutt does something positive!!!

And as usual Ive got a lot of good tips again here.

Shantiah, good idea- havent tried that angle yet.

And Ruthless if you give me any more great advice and support Im going to have to come live with you! :)

Actually, forget I said that or you might stop helping me! :(

Good to know Im not the only one.

Heheh you're definitely not the only one :)

I got lucky though, there was a house near my old one that always had cats hanging around the front (I think they were feeding strays), so I had the opportunity to train like crazy outside that house. Even better when the cats would sometimes be moving around, sometimes lying right near the footpath and there were nearly always more than 2 so I had the opportunity to train him to ignore anything they did.

I wouldn't say he's 100%, but he's certainly a hell of a lot better. Instead of going insane until they were gone, I can verbally deter him when he shows signs of going for them or I can correct him and carry on without having to drag the bugger :) I also feel safe enough to ride with him down streets as he won't go darting off to go kitty chasing.

Funnily enough only a few doors down was the house that always had dogs barking at the fence so it was a damn good training street :)

I think it's just like anything else, keep training, keep trying and never give up, especially when you've come so far :)

When one of my dogs was a five month old puppy,he killed a cat accidently shaking it. :) It was our Kitten and she got in the backyard.He isn't trustworthy around cats,he doesn't try to attack them.He sets himself and wants the chase and grab.

Sorry no advice,I've accepted no cats for us and will always keep him away from other peoples.