What Brush Should I Use For A Labrador?

I am wondering what kind of brush I should use for a Labrador? I want to try and keep the amount of hair that my 2 labradors down to a minimum so want to find a brush that is going to help me get the best results.

I find that my yellow sheds hair so much more than my black bitch.

I'd suggest going to a saddlery shop and getting hold of one of the rubber brushes that has nobbles on one side, and short, stiff bristles on the other. The rubber nobbles give a lovely massage and loosen the hair and the stiff bristles remove it and encourage a shine. I use this kind of brush on my horses and my greyhounds with great results for all.

I'd suggest a shedding blade(looks like a fish scaler)a zoom groom and a furminator or a Laube Quik-change de-shedder(just like a furminator)

So how good are these? They are expensive but if they work then my wife will be happy

You can use this against the lie of the hair and in a circular motion.

http://www.mollycoddledpets.com.au/catalog...category46/p577

Yep, this is quite similar to the "nobbly" side of the brush I suggested. Loosens the hair, picks up any dust/dirt on the skin and brings it to the surface so it can then be brushed away. Not so much in favour of the strippers/knives/tools etc that actually cut the hair because they tend to remove the waterproofing properties from the coat.

You can use this against the lie of the hair and in a circular motion.

http://www.mollycoddledpets.com.au/catalog...category46/p577

Yep, this is quite similar to the "nobbly" side of the brush I suggested. Loosens the hair, picks up any dust/dirt on the skin and brings it to the surface so it can then be brushed away. Not so much in favour of the strippers/knives/tools etc that actually cut the hair because they tend to remove the waterproofing properties from the coat.

My wife is a bit hesitant about the price because we have been told other brushes would work but they haven't. She is actually a tad allergic to dog hair but has been having special drops which are helping to make her quite good but it would be nice to just be able to cut down on there hair. She said she wanted to try one but I can't see that happening.

The horse brush I mentioned (nobbly one side, bristle the other) will set you back about $10. Mine is the best investment I've ever made. As I said, I use it on my horses and on my greyhounds as well and greyhounds can lose a LOT of hair!!!

I own and have tried all of the above tools on clients dogs daily, and have found the metal comb works best :rolleyes: Must be a fine toothed comb. I no longer use any other brushes on labs etc. Labs coat IMO is that little bit too long for a furminator and it does tend to cut the hair, and again, the coat is that bit too long for a zoom groom. I find those types work best or very short haired breeds such as boxers, greyhounds etc. A lab is a short coated dog, but you still have a good inch of coat that lies flat to the body so my suggestion is the fine toothed metal comb :laugh:

I own and have tried all of the above tools on clients dogs daily, and have found the metal comb works best :rolleyes: Must be a fine toothed comb. I no longer use any other brushes on labs etc. Labs coat IMO is that little bit too long for a furminator and it does tend to cut the hair, and again, the coat is that bit too long for a zoom groom. I find those types work best or very short haired breeds such as boxers, greyhounds etc. A lab is a short coated dog, but you still have a good inch of coat that lies flat to the body so my suggestion is the fine toothed metal comb :laugh:

A special dog one or do you have a link to something you would recommend?

These are the ones I mean, no particular brand, but the fine ones get out much more hair :laugh:

http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopp...;cart_id=268554

These are the ones I mean, no particular brand, but the fine ones get out much more hair :laugh:

http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopp...;cart_id=268554

Well that will be cheaper than getting a furminator so will try and get one tomorrow. And I take it just a fine one not a flea one?

Well that will be cheaper than getting a furminator so will try and get one tomorrow. And I take it just a fine one not a flea one?

:rolleyes: spot on, just the fine one at 5 teeth or more per cm :laugh:

:rolleyes: spot on, just the fine one at 5 teeth or more per cm :laugh:

Thanks very much for that. I hope to get them shedding as little as possible :laugh:

Thanks very much for that. I hope to get them shedding as little as possible :rolleyes:

Labs will shed all year round, but the comb every day or 2, concentrating on the back area and on the back legs under the tail and around the bum should reduce it a lot :laugh: Just make sure you comb right down to the skin and keep going until you notice the hair coming out is reduced.

Thanks very much for that. I hope to get them shedding as little as possible :laugh:

Labs will shed all year round, but the comb every day or 2, concentrating on the back area and on the back legs under the tail and around the bum should reduce it a lot :laugh: Just make sure you comb right down to the skin and keep going until you notice the hair coming out is reduced.

So I have learnt. Also worked out that I should not tell the wife that they are dogs that don't lose much hair. I can see in 12 - 15 years not getting another dog :rolleyes: