Dog Training Myths

my dog won't listen to me - but we did the puppy preschool!? (says exasperated owner of 7 month old uncontrolled lab)

I cant tell him off, he'll hate me

But he makes me feel guilty if I dont feed him and then he ignores me (says all owners of morbidly obese dogs)

He only bites me a little ... sometimes ... he's really a good dog

choker chains are only for large dogs, and theyre really cruel

a harness will make my dog stop pulling (hows about some training dufus?)

and best of all ...

you should a puppy on a choker chain then it will never pull ...

*sigh*

Don't train a dog until it is 6 months old.

I fell for this one........once.

Nothing useful to add, sorry.

I fell for this as well - i was told i had 'ruined' Bronx by not letting him be a pup...so i did as suggested with Sabe - and yeah he is my problem child where as Bronx is the 'perfect' child.

In fact, I think all the dominance theorising that humans are so fond of would be a paper all by itself. Just about anything a dog does or doesn't do gets put down to dominance these days. I think leadership is important, but my dogs do not spend their entire lives plotting to take over my household.

I went to a very interesting lecture at the WSAVA conference last year that discussed dominance as a "myth". Sarah Heath was very engaging and the lecture was particularly interesting.

The general notes are here: http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings...3&O=Generic.

It does not suggest that dominance does not exist, rather that dominance is relative to particular situations and relationships.

In fact, I think all the dominance theorising that humans are so fond of would be a paper all by itself. Just about anything a dog does or doesn't do gets put down to dominance these days. I think leadership is important, but my dogs do not spend their entire lives plotting to take over my household.

I went to a very interesting lecture at the WSAVA conference last year that discussed dominance as a "myth". Sarah Heath was very engaging and the lecture was particularly interesting.

The general notes are here: http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings...3&O=Generic.

It does not suggest that dominance does not exist, rather that dominance is relative to particular situations and relationships.

Rappie,

I remember you posting the "Proceedings" link, after you attended months ago. Spent one whole night, reading and going back to past notes. Thanks again for the reminder.