Too Much Excercise?

Ralphy

Hi,

We've had our 12 week old Koolie puppy for about 3 weeks now. We take him on lots of walks and to the beach for a run around and play with him heaps at home too. He's usually very tired when we get him home from a long walk but he just loves it so much. I'm just wondering if we could be exercising him too much? Are there any guidlines to how much exercise a puppy should get?

Thanks!

Hi,

We've had our 12 week old Koolie puppy for about 3 weeks now. We take him on lots of walks and to the beach for a run around and play with him heaps at home too. He's usually very tired when we get him home from a long walk but he just loves it so much. I'm just wondering if we could be exercising him too much? Are there any guidlines to how much exercise a puppy should get?

Thanks!

Yes, it is possible to over exercise a puppy. The rule that many folk follow is not to exercise a puppy onlead (ie by going for long walks) until its over 6 months old. Off leash play allows the pup more chance to dictate the pace and to stop when he's tired.

At 12 weeks your puppy does not need any formal exercise playing in there own yard is enough and I would be cautious of taking him to area that are frequented by dogs as he is not fully covered by his vaccinations. Puppies need lots of sleep they don't need walk to wear them out.

there are lots of threads on this topic where people with more experience have had imput.

My 6 month old baby still only gets very short walks.

to occupy your pup do some training i.e sit stay drop beg shake etc

Working (farm bred) dogs are often working part time by around 4 months....when they have had enough, they will stop..... and sleep for a little while...then start again .

I believe walking on hard surfaces should be avoided at a young age.....but running on sand /grass is ok ..provided they are not 'forced' :scared:

working dogs wont stop till its too late, as in die, as a 12 week pup bones and joints arnt fully grown so in the long run your causing damage, you must try regulate the ammount of work/exercise your pup does, even though its hard and you think they want more.. good luck :scared:

Thanks guys,

I might lay off the walks until he's older and just take him to the beach every now and then and play with him heaps at home.

When do their bones and joints become fully developed?

My new Border Collie pup is also 12 weeks old & I will not be taking her out for walks until after she has had her final vaccination in 4 weeks time. The only exercise pups need is play. Too much too soon can cause joint problems. Their bones are growing rapidly & aren't solid enough for strenuous exercise. It depends on the breed as to when they are fully matured & stop growing.