Is There A Soft Dry Food For Seniors?

Jessca

i have a 13 year old mini pomy X mini foxy that has most of her teeth missing. :)

she is currently eating a natural roll, but i cant seem to find one for seniors.

i was just wondering if anyone knows of any rehydatable dry food that would be suitable for her??

or is there anything else like that that would be good for her??

thanks guys for any help.

See if she's willing to eat good quality kibble that you've soaked a bit so that it becomes soft?

i tryed that the other night, she just turned her face up in disgust. and she wont eat till i give her somthing better, or i add an artifisul flavour like gravox or something, which i dont like the idea of.

thanks alot though.

I have recently taken on the care of a 13 year old toy poodle. She was/is in poor condition with extremely bad teeth and very skinny (first weigh in she was 1.4kg). She ended up having all her teeth removed :)

So...at the moment I use Advance Rehydratable puppy dry food. I put a small handful into her bowl, pour some boiling water over the top, a fair bit, then microwave it for 20 seconds, leave it for about 5 to 10 mins and then mush it up with the back of a spoon, I make sure it is quite sloppy, a bit like thick soup, it also has to still be warm (like baby food) and then she eats it happily...if it is coldish though she does not like it so much.

The other thing I sometimes feed her is Advance Chicken and Rice for Sensitive Stomachs, its a loaf style food in a 'tray', I add hot water to this as well and microwave it, mush it and feed to her.

She now weighs about 1.7kg and I am hoping I will get her to about 2kgs soon.

You could also try rehydrating Royal Canin Mini dog dry food in the same manner.

never tried it but did notice a packet of semi wet/dry dog food in IGA the other ...

"Natures Gift" .

i've seen them, i have a little bag of them for treats. there like the pedigree meaty bites :) . i might beable to find a bigger bag if i look around. thanks.

gosh i love this website DOLers are all so friendly and helpfull. :thumbsup:

I have recently taken on the care of a 13 year old toy poodle. She was/is in poor condition with extremely bad teeth and very skinny (first weigh in she was 1.4kg). She ended up having all her teeth removed :)

So...at the moment I use Advance Rehydratable puppy dry food. I put a small handful into her bowl, pour some boiling water over the top, a fair bit, then microwave it for 20 seconds, leave it for about 5 to 10 mins and then mush it up with the back of a spoon, I make sure it is quite sloppy, a bit like thick soup, it also has to still be warm (like baby food) and then she eats it happily...if it is coldish though she does not like it so much.

The other thing I sometimes feed her is Advance Chicken and Rice for Sensitive Stomachs, its a loaf style food in a 'tray', I add hot water to this as well and microwave it, mush it and feed to her.

She now weighs about 1.7kg and I am hoping I will get her to about 2kgs soon.

You could also try rehydrating Royal Canin Mini dog dry food in the same manner.

i looked at the advance one, but i wasn't too sure cause it was for puppies. but it seems to have worked well for you. ill look into the royal canin mini thats sound good.

its good to see someone take care of a senior dog, we need more people like you around, theres just not enough rescuers for all the BYB that keep spitting the pups out.

thanks again.

I am in rescue :) although currently not fostering because I have taken on the care of this little girl...but I love it :love:

they feeling in side you when the dog is in your car and your driving home, its almost addictive.

all three of our dogs were saved in some way.

Narla, 13, mini pom X, she was dumped out the front of our family pet shop in 96. not rescued as such.

Chevy, 3, bull mastiff, rescued from a farm at 7 months, where she lived in a dirt pen the size of a cage, with so many fleas her hair was moving, and never been fed a proper meal. and they were about to shoot her. :)

Kaiser, 7 M/O, Dobermann, found him in the trading post from a BYB, when we got there we just couldn't leave without him. he was 6 weeks old, was full of fleas, had never been weaned but the mother had run out of milk so another bitch that had just had a litter was feeding them. and that many warms that we just got rid of them all two months ago, after the vet gave us some seriously strong warmers. he was also living in a dirt pen, with no water or shelter and had never peen pooper scooped. :thumbsup:

and both chev and kaiser, when we tried to show any type of affection, freaked out from being touched. chev was scared of everything, roads, tissues, unusual floors, bags, bins... the list goes on and she still has a lot of these fears today, despite our every effert :)

we sent an email to the RSPCA but whether they did anything or not i dont know, ill just have to wait and see if he advertises in the paper again.

sorry to rant about these evil people, but something needs to be done about BYBs and RSPCA have so much else on there plate they cant do it alone.

:thumbsup: yep...know what you mean.

Oh by the way...I have been told (not sure if all would agree) that the puppy food and the seniors is essentially the same...but you should be aware that puppy food will put on weight...so you may find less is required :)

I haven't had a doggie in this situation Jessca, but it did occur to me that barf patties might suit your little one - very healthy and contain lots of goodies, would be a way of her getting meat, yet they would probably be soft enough for her - particularly the pork ones. My westies have half a pattie a day and with veggies are thriving on them... or maybe mash the pattie with some soft veggies like pumpkin? Just a thought...

Cheers,

Westiemum :(

Ed 'cos I can't spell and type at the same time!

Edited by westiemum

I haven't had a doggie in this situation Jessca, but it did occur to me that barf patties might suit your little one - very healthy and contain lots of goodies, would be a way of her getting meat, yet they would probably be soft enough for her - particularly the pork ones. My westies have half a pattie a day and with veggies are thriving on them... or maybe mash the pattie with some soft veggies like pumpkin? Just a thought...

Cheers,

ahh i never thought of them. do you make your own or do you buy them. if so do you know where i can buy them cause when i looked at them a few months ago i couldn't find anywhere that they are sold.

Yancelby- thats good then, casue she needs to put on some weight. and she seems to like puppy food better than senior.

Thanks again guys, narlas going to be very appreciative.

Hi Jessca,

Here's a link to the Barf Pattie distributors in Victoria - here. This is the same system I use here in SA. I have four rolls delivered (no delivery fee for four rolls) every three to four months or so.

Yes I could make my own but I just don't have the time - so I pay for the convenience of having the patties ready-made for me. And to be honest, these are so well made I'm not sure I could do as well myself - and I wonder about the expense of gathering all the ingredients together for the saem cost or less anyway...

Hope that helps - will be really interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Westiemum :)

ahh i never thought of them. do you make your own or do you buy them. if so do you know where i can buy them cause when i looked at them a few months ago i couldn't find anywhere that they are sold.

Yancelby- thats good then, casue she needs to put on some weight. and she seems to like puppy food better than senior.

Thanks again guys, narlas going to be very appreciative.