Vet Recommendation In Perth

Bubbly

Hi everyone!

You'd think being a vet student I'd be able to find a local vet I want to take my pets to.... but I'm having trouble. Does anyone know a great vet in Perth? I'm looking for one SOR (preferably) that will titer test and is reasonably priced. Any suggestions?? Oh and one that runs a puppy class is a major bonus. Thanks!

I take mine to South Street Vet in O'Connor.

I know a handful of other DOLers do as well.

They run a great puppy class, are friendly and caring. They remember me and remember Kaiser from puppy school even though he is now nearly 15 months old :)

My favourite vet has left, he moved interstate, but the staff are still great. They're not open on Sundays.

Another one is Melville Animal Hospital in Melville. Its on Rome rd which is off Leach hwy. Close to where the school and car dealers are.

The vets there are WONDERFUL and they are open on Sundays.

Both are great in that they dont push you to buy products or anything like that and they genuinely care about the animals. :D

Thanks for the reccs so far.

I'm in Hammy Hill :confused: but I'm willing to drive if I find a great vet a little farther away.

Why would you not use Murdoch if you are a student there?

Riverstar lives down your way so her recommendations would be close to you. :mad

Bubbly, we go to Success Veterinary Hospital on Hammond Road in Jandakot. We mainly started going there because it's no more than a 10 minute drive from my house, but he seems like a good vet from my limited vet experience. Keeda hasn't needed to go except for for her desexing and vaccinations (knocking on wood here), but he always takes care to explain things to us and is nothing but kind and patient with all the animals I've seen him with. As I said, though, my experience with him is limited to routine things such as vaccinations.

Thanks for the reccs so far.

I'm in Hammy Hill :) but I'm willing to drive if I find a great vet a little farther away.

Why would you not use Murdoch if you are a student there?

Riverstar lives down your way so her recommendations would be close to you. :cheer:

I won't be using Murdoch for a couple of reasons. It's quite expensive is the first and foremost. The prices there are pretty high because the hospital runs in the red. The number of cases that never pay up are astounding - the clinic is basically subsidized by the school. I won't get a student discount until I'm in fourth year and honestly, paying international fees, I just cannot see going there just because I'm a student. I'd also rather look around for something a little more personal; I like seeing the same GP when I go to the dr. I'd like to see the same vet when my pets go in for their annuals. For emergencies and complicated surgeries Murdoch is fantastic just not my cup of tea for routine care.

The real reason I'm asking online is I haven't had the best luck just calling around. Like a lot of people on the titer test threads I really am not getting the answers I'm looking for or even common courtesy at some of the places I've called. Which is really really disappointing. I don't like being made to feel as if I'm an idiot and possibly harming my pets because I want to compare prices, not give certain vaccines (Like leukemia to my indoor only negative cat), and titer test.

Thanks for the replies!

We use Applecross Vet Clinic in Sleat Road, Applecross. A lot of breeders use them but Im not sure if they do titer testing.

When you find a vet that does titer testing, do you mind letting me know.

My last lot of titres were done through Vetwest at Canning Vale. I think it cost me $88 to have the blood drawn and then sent to the lab for testing.

They rang me with the results the following day and then did some follow up ringing around trying to see if you could get a distemper only vaccine in Oz (no such luck). A lot of people knock Vetwest - but I can only speak positively about them since everytime I have walked through the door they have accomodated my every wish. My previous titres were done by Lark Hill and they were brilliant, but a bit far south for you I think.

Yes Applecross will do titres - but don't get Steve Metcalfe started on the value of them.

I agree with Murdoch being pricey!

I don't know about titre tests, but in my books Andrew Buchanan at Mill Pt Vet Ctr ranks very high. He's had lots of experience. He opted against scaling up and becoming a large practice. His 'bedside manner' is great. It's clear he loves animals. He is very helpful to rescue organisations.

If you're trying to avoid unnecessary vaccinations, I'd recommend Claire Middle (I think I have that right). She used to be at May St. in E. Freo, but I think is now in South Lake. I have a couple of clients whose dogs have bad reactions to the distemper vaccination, and she's great about providing the parvo only vaccination for them.

I just rang up the Success Veterinary Hospital about Titre Testing and they said that they do it, but the price for the needed tests adds up to about $221 as opposed to about $70 for vaccinating! I thought the tests weren't meant to be that expensive :S

I don't know about titre tests, but in my books Andrew Buchanan at Mill Pt Vet Ctr ranks very high. He's had lots of experience. He opted against scaling up and becoming a large practice. His 'bedside manner' is great. It's clear he loves animals. He is very helpful to rescue organisations.

If you're trying to avoid unnecessary vaccinations, I'd recommend Claire Middle (I think I have that right). She used to be at May St. in E. Freo, but I think is now in South Lake. I have a couple of clients whose dogs have bad reactions to the distemper vaccination, and she's great about providing the parvo only vaccination for them.

Yes, it is Claire Middle and she is in Bibra Lake - she is great, I took my cats to her when they were alive. :thumbsup: