Which Dog Food Brand Is Better

which brand is better  

25 members have voted

1. 1. which dog food brand is better

• purina one
    • optimum
    • both the same

Of the two, I'd say Purina is probably the better supermarket brand ones, at least in comparison to some of the others. Some dogs do very well on cheaper foods. My little girl is on Bonnie Complete, admittedly not a supermarket food, but not a premium one. She does very well on it and prefers it over her doggy brother's Eaglepack and the bag of Orijen I bought for her.

i'll search around tommorrow for some good quality dog food but i'm pretty sure the only one we can get is hills science diet is that alot better then purina one and optimum. I was using hills science diet with my golden triever i should really put him back on it 2kgs don't go to far specially when your on the pension.

Actually, the Hills Science Diet is not great either...

Maybe it's time do to some research on the food you want to feed your dogs?

Thereis a lot of information in these forums, and a good starting place is www.dogfoodproject.com - it guides you through the best way to chose a food, read through the labels carefully and thoroughly and choose those foods that have ingredients you are happy feeding your dogs.

It will also explain why grains and low quality ingredeints in food could harm your dog.

When you feed the higher quality foods, such as Eagle Pack or Nutro, etc, they are more densely packed with nutrients, so you end up feeding less in the end...

There are a lot of DOLers that don't like HSD - personally, when my boy needed the UD HSD it was the best thing that he could have been on.

We feed real food, human grade meats and vegetables. Raw bones are also very good for dogs. You can get chicken frames, necks, wings from the deli of most supermarkets and these are a great source of protein and calcium (fed raw only, never cook anything with bones in it).

Supplement with fish (or fish oil tablets) yoghurt, eggs and you have a pretty good diet that costs a lot less than buying kibble.

do a search for Barf - there are heaps of ideas for raw feeding and most dogs do really well on it.

I still maintain that the best food for your dog, is what they do best on.

i'm not sure if this is correct but Waltham makes both optimum and advance dog food according to the optimum website and the advance website. So if Waltham is making both of these dog foods shouldn't they be simular in ingredents and what not.

cheaper food = cheaper low grade ingredients, mainly grains and fillers

Waltham does own both optimum and advance and also pedigree. They do use similar products but Advance has no by products and the first ingredients are chicken and generally is of better quality. Optimum and Pedigree are mostly made up of by products and cheap grains. You pay more for Advance for better quality food, then to optimum and then pedigree. Science diet is also full of low quality ingredients but you still pay a high price for it.

Edited by kaceymegs

Mine were on Royal canin mini adult but i have since changed them to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance

Organic, They are doing so well on it, but they also get raw meat, chicken necks...Fish... Dry food is only 10% of there meal each day

I've decided to try Eukanuba and see how it goes i can get a 3kg bag of small breed puppy for $27.95 also full protein meat chicken $2.50kg or beef for $3kg buy 5 get 2 free so thats $13.50 in meat does this sound alright or to much. Doing the maths i'll be spending $41.45 in just biscuits and meat for 2 weeks not including bones which will add more.

I've decided to try Eukanuba and see how it goes i can get a 3kg bag of small breed puppy for $27.95 also full protein meat chicken $2.50kg or beef for $3kg buy 5 get 2 free so thats $13.50 in meat does this sound alright or to much. Doing the maths i'll be spending $41.45 in just biscuits and meat for 2 weeks not including bones which will add more.

Have you looked at the website I posted above and compared the labels of Eukanuba and other brands using the information provided?

Dunno, but both companies were giving cashbacks a while ago, so you could try them out.

You had to sign up on the websites.

I tried Purina One and it seems to really agree with my dogs. From memory, the Optimum had a higher protein level, so wasn't best for a large breed dog.

The 26kg poodle gets runny and/or huge poos on other foods like Supercoat, Coprice and Bonnie. He'll also turn his nose up at many dry foods (eating them only as a last resort) but seems to like the Purina One.

I also feed brisket bones, chicken carcasses/ wings/ necks etc.

Agree with others- read ingredients. You don't always get a much better product at a higher price :thumbsup: e.g. raw foods are cheaper than superpremiums. I'm yet to be convinced that dry food that stays "fresh" in a bag for months on end is better than raw meats/offal etc.

OK, that website basically analyses the ingredients that go into various foods, their amounts in each food and the quality of them- in a nutshell:

The chaper brands have a lot of fillers and grains which may not be good for your dogs, the Hills, Eukanubas and Iams also have a lot of fillers and not always the best quality ingredients.

When you buy the more premium brands, they cost a bit more, but you do feed less, as the nutrients are more densely packed, also you get less poo...

Do you know what is available in the stores around you? Maybe we can help that way - are you near a Petstock, for example?

No the only pet store around this area is Count Dogula's which only stocks iams,eukanba and hills science diet same with the vets around this area. The closest petstock is an hour and half away and my boyfriend won't want to drive that far for pet food.

I feed my dogs/cats Advance and checked out the price of Optimum and Purina One out of curiosity in Safeway today. They are the exact same price as Advance, which is a premium food!

If all you have access to is Eukanuba, Hills or Iams, choose either Euk or Hills and dont worry about it. They are still premium foods and much better than the supermarket crap.