First Command Your Pooch Learned

With Boo we had picked him out when he was 6 weeks old and emailed the breeder on the name we decided on a few days later, his litter name was Freddy (they were all F names) so she took to calling him Freddy-boo-boo so he happily responded to Boo already at 8 weeks old when we took him home.

So for us the first command was sit and he learned it very quickly. The vet was terribly amused that such a tiny wee fluff butt would sit on command :laugh:

Hey, its Friday, so a relaxing weekend, ahead.

I laughed till I cried, when I watched Bob Bailey DVD........dogs have been learning for years........more often than not.........we do not stretch their minds. Some say, we are only using 20% of their ability.

That being said, instinct is marvellous.......ever seen how quickly pups find mums nipple.

Beause Bear was a rescue, i think the first thing i taught her was that its ok when we pick up the rake or a broom or any kind of stick, that she would not get beaten by it. though she still does sometimes cringe a little when i pick up a stick, even after 5 years. but at least she will come to me when i have it. poor baby. then i think after that she learnt sit. and to wait for her meal instead of knocking it out of my hand before i got it on the ground.

Hmm. Can't remember properly, but I think all mine knew what ARGGHHHHH! meant first :mad (naughty puppies!) and then good girl. The first proper command, although toilet training is exempt (sorry), that every dog I've had knows is Do Wees!! It has never let me down and all will go on command. Saves lots of time and confusion :(

First basic command was 'come', with a treat of course :rainbowbridge:

i'd be pretty worried about 'jump' as a first command for a puppy. Their bones aren't really up to it at all. I always do my best to prevent pups from jumping. :rofl: not reward them for it.

Yeah, I had no idea that jumping may have been dangerous at that time. But when I found out a while later and got really worried, I went on another forum and asked them - they said not to worry and if she's jumping on her own, she knows what she's doing better than I do. The jump command was rarely used after being taught anyway - I didn't want to encourage her :rock:

I think many pure-bred dogs are raised from a very early age to respond to the breeder saying "pup pup pup pup pup" in a light voice.

So mine already came with a "command", but I actually prefer to describe this kind of stuff as a "cue" because I don't always use my voice

First cue I taught the dogs myself:

Lucy: Sit (hand signal)

Jadir: Gait (hand signal)