Bad Breath!

MurphysMum

My pup began teething a few weeks ago now. He has lost about 4 teeth that I have seen (2 at the back and 2 canines). Since this started I've noticed his breath has become quite nasty, and getting more so. I've been feeding him brisket bones and turkey necks (as suggested in other threads for good dental hygeine) and he eats Eagle Pack puppy dry food at the moment mixed up with minced chicken or turkey.

What can I do to try and make his mouth smell better besides giving him lots of bones and things to chew?

Is doggy toothpaste worthwhile or a waste of $$??

I've looked in his mouth and can't see anything untoward, and his teeth and gums all look good and healthy.

Is this just something that happens with teething or do I need to be doing something different with his food?

I've raised several dogs and none had bad breath as puppies.

Along came my toy poodle - so cute, smoochie, wanna kissy kissy...NOT! Talk about bad breath... :thumbsup:

Knew it wasn't normal as puppies shouldn't get bad breath.

First vet visit - 7 puupy teeth removed as they were in firmly, making the other grow wonky AND, pup had a hair wrapped around a back tooth.

You know the problem is not solved when puppy's butt smells better than his breath. :rofl:

Back to the vet. This time, he gets blood tests and x-rays.

Results - my poor bubs had an infection in his appendix! He was put on a dose of antibiotics and problem solved.

I can now happily kiss my little man on the head with no fear of :rofl:

Kynan is almost 6 months and had stinky breath while teething. It is much better now that all his baby teeth are out. I put some chopped up fresh parsley in his meals and it made his breath a bit better. Also have been brushing his teeth with beef flavoured toothpaste three times a week which seemed to help too. Mmmmm beef fresh!

Griffy had bad breath for about 2 weeks when he was teething, vet told us it was natural and would go away when all his baby teeth were gone (which it did). But we didn't notice any changes with Maddy.