Barf Patties

Tiggy

is there a change in packaging weight, are the patties still 227g each? or have they reduced their weight too with this new packaging?

they remind me of commercial cat food packaging now and it makes me concerned if they also place preservatives in it now..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a change in packaging weight, are the patties still 227g each? or have they reduced their weight too with this new packaging?

they remind me of commercial cat food packaging now and it makes me concerned if they also place preservatives in it now..

You can see on the photo that they are the same weight as before. Who says there are preservatives in now?

You can see on the photo that they are the same weight as before. Who says there are preservatives in now?

i was asking if they do or not. not that they were.

I feel so embarrassed :( . 'Chocolate' you're one smart cookie. I never thought of popping them out of the plastic while frozen. I just tried it and it works! Problem solved! :laugh:

I feel so embarrassed :( . 'Chocolate' you're one smart cookie. I never thought of popping them out of the plastic while frozen. I just tried it and it works! Problem solved! :laugh:

Glad problem solved:-) I think they did them like this so that anyone who doesn't like handling raw meat can just peel off the film push the patty from the back out into the food bowl ready for defrosting and then you just give it to your dog at meal time. Hands not even touching meat, no patties stuck together to have to break apart either. A more practical shape for storage in the freezer being a box not round. It looks like they have done them to be a kind of steak shape.

goodness, are people really that squeamish? I just think it's a darn shame we now have all this extra plastic packaging, not terribly environmentaly friendly. I only have Boo to feed and he gets a third of a patty per meal with the equivalent weight in RMBs (two meals a day) so I hope it doesnt make it a pain to seperate it out.

oh and FYI anyone who doesn't mind paying for convienience, you can buy Dr Bruce's Vet's all natural complete mix, which you soak in water overnight then add fresh meat to. It's preservative free also. www.vetsallnatural.com.au

goodness, are people really that squeamish? I just think it's a darn shame we now have all this extra plastic packaging, not terribly environmentaly friendly. I only have Boo to feed and he gets a third of a patty per meal with the equivalent weight in RMBs (two meals a day) so I hope it doesnt make it a pain to seperate it out.

Letter from Ian Billinghurtst, BARF Australia

Why New Packaging?

Change is always difficult and we are well aware that our new packaging for Dr B's Genuine Aussie R.A.W is likely to attract as much negative as it attracts positive comment.

The change has been partly in response to pressure from companion animal owners and partly because with the increasing popularity of the product we had to go to the next level in terms of production methods.

The old method of production was labour intensive, slow and highly dangerous to the operators, with each patty having to be sawn by hand using a band saw.

Additionally, improper handling after leaving the factory would often result in the patties sticking together, making them difficult, if not impossible to separate.

We have, for a long time been receiving requests for the abolition of the round shape; this has come from many quarters; the complaints mostly being that the round shape took up too much freezer space. Other problems and complaints have involved bag fragility and ties which come off too easily; both problems resulting in the patties suffering freezer burn. Additionally, many people would not buy the prouduct because they did not like handling the raw meat patties.

Our new format has overcome most, if not all of these problems. Once pet owenrs get used to the new packaging, they will find that it is much more user friendly and being totallly sealed, the patties cannot stick together and are totally procected from oxidation.

On a further positive note, the new packaging contains much more information and we must stress that the cardboard we are using has a high compenent of recycled material and is of course recycable.

Our aim as always is to Restore Animal Wellness through promoting and supplying a convenient form of Evolutionary Nutrition for companions animals.

--------------

goodness, are people really that squeamish? I just think it's a darn shame we now have all this extra plastic packaging, not terribly environmentaly friendly.

That is my main issue,

I guess it makes sense now for me to pull them all out in one sitting and stick them in a large plastic container in the freezer. But that packaging is really going to annoy the hell out of me.

though I have not been happy with my local supplier (for any food) for the past 3 months which adds to the issue.

I have made my own frozen fish food previously, I think I might have to do that for the furkids as well.

And the boxes are huge

They are suppose to be selling rabbit as well now, in replace of the roo.

The roo is to become like a prescription diet, so Im guessing the price of the roo will go up.

I like the sound of the rabbit.

We tried the Roo, and it instantly turned my wife's stomach so we are never touching that one again.

And the boxes are huge

They are suppose to be selling rabbit as well now, in replace of the roo.

The roo is to become like a prescription diet, so Im guessing the price of the roo will go up.

I like the sound of the rabbit.

We tried the Roo, and it instantly turned my wife's stomach so we are never touching that one again.

I went to vets today to get BARF patties for Aly and yes they have changed the packaging and the price has increased $3.00 they now cost me $23 Aly loves the roo but it sells really quick so bought her the combination ones,,, she loves her BARF patties :D

Belinda

$23 :D

I like the sound of the new packaging though.

ETA: Just checked the place I buy them from has increased price by $2 to $20, so not too bad I guess.

Edited by amypie

thanks for posting the letter, still think a undisclosed high percentage of recycled materials ONLY on the cardboard is a shame, I'm guessing they would have said in the plastic was properly biodegradable, then there is the other consideration of what TYPE of plastics they've used (some leach chemicals when frozen which is why there are special plastic used for storing things like breast milk in freezers).

I see why they've done it, just remains to be seen whether they've done it well.

I went to vets today to get BARF patties for Aly and yes they have changed the packaging and the price has increased $3.00 they now cost me $23

Weird, at our place they were the same price as previously. (just under $19)

Hi Everyone,

I use a barfsa distributor rather than buying from a shop - and I gather these people are available in the other states - there is barfwa and barf victoria that I know about .

For roo barf patties I've been paying 17.00 each, and for 4 rolls, delivery is free - although I think the roo, which is apparently becoming hard to get, is going up to 18.50 a roll.

My guys get half a pattie each (a bit over 100gms each which is plenty for my little westies) and so with a fish meal or two a week and rmbs, 4 rolls last me 3-4 months. So I think for little dogs they are fabulous - but can imagine they might be a bit expensive for any big boofas!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :D

Hi Everyone,

I use a barfsa distributor rather than buying from a shop - and I gather these people are available in the other states - there is barfwa and barf victoria that I know about .

For roo barf patties I've been paying 17.00 each, and for 4 rolls, delivery is free - although I think the roo, which is apparently becoming hard to get, is going up to 18.50 a roll.

My guys get half a pattie each (a bit over 100gms each which is plenty for my little westies) and so with a fish meal or two a week and rmbs, 4 rolls last me 3-4 months. So I think for little dogs they are fabulous - but can imagine they might be a bit expensive for any big boofas!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :D

I think I might have to try and find a distributor here in WA,

Belinda

Hi Everyone,

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

I think I might have to try and find a distributor here in WA,

Belinda

The price in WA is higher in WA due to the extra freight cost. Unfortunatley they'll never been available at the lower Eastern States prices like $17. A State Distributor will be selling for RRP so you won't buy them cheaper that way. The best thing to do is to shop around and compare prices. Once the new packaging filters through to all the retailers as they replenish stocks the price will go up everwhere eventually. There is an EXTREMELY small profit margin in these patties.