I Think My Dog Has A Cold - Help!

Hi everyone!

We woke up in the night to our girl sneazing! then i was listening to her breathe and it was all rattley! so when we woke up this morning i realised she has runny eyes, runny nose, is still sneazing and the thing that concerned me the most was this cough/choking thing and she was coughing up foamy flem stuff! This part seemed the worst to me. She looks so sad too, no spark in her eyes.

I have heard of dogs getting colds, but never seen it. Do i need to take her to the vet, or is it like humans - the cold will go in time?? Is ther anything i can do for her?

Thanks for reading - i hope you can help - and so does Paris :o

I have made a vet appointment.

I had a bit of a look on the net for the symtoms and i think it is Kennel Cough. We had to board her on the weekend when we went away so she must have picked something up!! I am really annoyed. i thought i had found a good kennel! And i feel terrible for taking her there and making her sick!

Is there anything i can do in the mean time to make her feel any better?

Just Keep her warm but not hot, & dry, keep fresh water available nearby that she can access.

I hope you were able to get an early appointment ?

Even the best kennels can have a dog brought in incubating Canine cough, and your dog can also catch it anywhere where there are other dogs. The vaccine does not cover all varieties of the bug.

Hoping she has a quick recovery.

fifi

Thanks Fifi.

The earliest i can get in is tomorrow morning. but if she gets worse between now and then i will take her earlier.

Hopefully she has a quick recovery - i just hate seing her so sad... :o

Kennel cough for the most part will fix itself. When Zero left the pound when we adopted him, he had it and the vet told us that there were 2 types - Viral and bacterial. The one which a dog can catch from another dog is generally not as serious but it can become serious if not kept in check by a vet. The second, more serious one is what they vaccinate against. I'd have to go back over the information she gave us but she didn't seem to worry too much about Zero's - I hope your dog will recover quickly Amez. Keep us posted!

I have made a vet appointment.

I had a bit of a look on the net for the symtoms and i think it is Kennel Cough. We had to board her on the weekend when we went away so she must have picked something up!! I am really annoyed. i thought i had found a good kennel! And i feel terrible for taking her there and making her sick!

Is there anything i can do in the mean time to make her feel any better?

Hi Amez,

My lab also go this kennel cough last week (coz a weather change though)

the vet give antibiotik & a tablet for a cold.

antibiotik need to be given every nite and a tablet for a morning & nite.

Just put your lovely inside the house and make her warm.

nothing you can do until she got a shot from the vet and a medicine to eat.

She'll fine. no worries.

See ya

I have heard that this is doing the rounds in Sydney. I have not had it touch wood, but my friends had it go through their dogs, but said the symptoms only lasted 3 days. Their vet told them it was just the change in the weather, and NOT kennel cough.