Help , Bella's Dew Claw Is Broken In Half But Not Bleeding

Ohh yuk and bummer , always happens on a weekend doesn't it

Her Dew Claw is broken in half , it's not hanging just bent but I'm afraid it could get torn off , I can't cut it where its bend as it looks to me that where the break is , is where the vein runs.

if the worst happens and it does come off , what can I do ?

No vet till Tuesday ( Public Holiday here M) although there maybe a 24 hour one in Cairns , have to sort that out yet

she'll have someone here to watch her 24/24 hour , till I can get her into the Vet , I'm just worried should something happen until then

Okay, first of all, dont stress, this is manageable.

Do you have any Styptic powder? If not, go to a pet store (hopefully one is open) and buy some. If you get some then you can attempt to remove the nail yourself if you are confident. If it bleeds then at least you have the Styptic to stop it.

If you cant find any styptic, call around your local mobile groomers (accredited please!!!) and ask if they could take the nail off. If it bleeds they should have some Styptic to stem the bleed. Even if they arent working because of the public holiday most will help when you tell your situation.

Is the joint broken or just the nail?

Has this happened before? If so, id be looking at removal of that dew. My Timmins Biter had two hind dews which I had removed when she got spayed purely because they had no joint and were nothing but a hindrance to her.

If you cant find a groomer or pet store or vet to help, bandage the area with a pressure bandage (not too tight) and secure with electical tape (I find that this works a charm!) until you can get proffessional help.

Good Luck!!

Danni

Edited by Danielle

Ok , no chance of a groomer or pet store ( living in the sticks has it's drawbacks)

But I can tape it up , was wondering how to keep the bandage on , so electrical tape sounds good :(

I'll see if I can get hold of the vet in the morning , she's so going to not love me , poor girl the only time I have rung her on the mobile is on her off days :(

Yeah, the electrical tape is brilliant.

Abbi stood on a nail once and had to have surgery on her foot. She came straight home and ripped off her bandages. So we rewrapped the bandage, secured it with electrical tape and then put on a sock (lol!) and then wrapped electrical tape around that too!

That dressing stayed on for about 4 days!

Its great having a tradesman for a hubby, he is so inventive and can fix any problem! LOL!

my girl has done this so many times .......im with puggy_puggy...the first time i took her to the vet ,the second time was on a sunday i rang the vet and he said "why not do it yourself you have seen me do it and it will be alot cheaper".....so now i get my hubby to hold her on his lap while i pull the nail out with pliers, than Bath in salty water, and than put on some betadine and than wrap it ,it also doesnt bleed no where near what it does as when it is broken and the bleeding stops fast, the nail should come out in one quick pull .

have had this happen twice in the last year with our JRT. First time the vet just yanked the broken piece off and all was good, second time was not so easy and it needed to be operated on because it was broken very close to the base.

if the break is in the bend/curve like you say it is then it is should be manageable for yourself or the vet to treat, but I suppose if you're unsure whether to pull on it yourself do as others suggest and tape it up for a few days and be sure to add some kind of antiseptic to the area before doing so

Ohh major sigh of relief

was playing ball with her in the backyard when she stopped and looked at the leg and I though uuuhhooh what's done now , when I looked she'd just pulled the 1/2 nail of and no blood nothing , amazing !

It's short dewclaw now , no idea how that all happened but so glad I didn't have to anything :rolleyes:

I'm still going to get some Styptic powder though , for when I'm braver next time :champagne:

Christina77, glad it's better now.

Maxi always blames me when he hurts his dew claw, he looks up at me as if I somehow managed to be in two places at once and miraculously broke his dew claw from a few metres away.

We've sure had the miseries with them, but they heal very quickly. And last time Maxi gnawed the broken bit off himself, which is good.