Alternative For E-bark Collar

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. My 18 month old GSD has started to bark to the point it's bothering the neighbours while we aren't home. He is walked twice a day most days and I do a short obedience session in the morning- I will be extending the time spent on this. I was hoping to be able to use the collar for a short time while we are not here to correct the behaviour, any suggestions please.

We use bark muzzles on our working dogs.. when they are not required for work they often bark most of the day as they are so eager to go. They are very simple easy to make.. dogs can drink, breathe fine but cannot bark. Details and photos can be posted if required..

We use bark muzzles on our working dogs.. when they are not required for work they often bark most of the day as they are so eager to go. They are very simple easy to make.. dogs can drink, breathe fine but cannot bark. Details and photos can be posted if required..

Are they leather ones?

Darcy will bark at citro collar out. He can also get off a husher muzzle in seconds. I have to keep him inside if we go out because if he even opens his mouth the neighbours across the valley are on the phone complaining :)

ScrappyDoo .... is a "husher" what you are talking about?

If it is, the dog can still bark, but the action of the husher is designed to fatigue the dog's jaw muscles and make incessant barking less pleasurable.

Never heard of the 'Husher' before.. We make our own bark muzzles for each working dog to fit.. All you need is a metre or two of PVC (Used for dog collars, bridles etc) a buckle, studs and a hammer.. Its similar to the "Husher" (just had a look at them) but its just a crossed nose band fitted to each dog. Out of all the dogs we have used them on over the years, I have had one only that can do a muffled bark.. The 'husher' says they can eat, drink etc. If they can with them on then they can bark.. Our bark muzzles allow the dogs to drink but they cant eat let alone bark..

Edited by ScrappyDoo

A lady at training puts a leather bark muzzle on her cattle dog in the car as it barks non stop when she's driving.It has some adjustments so she can tighten or loosen it as required.

I have a husher for one of my girls and yes she can still bark but it tires them quite quickly so they choose not to bark so much as it's an effort

I have one of the cold spray collars and haven't found it terribly effective. My dog at first was surprised by it but now that she knows what it is she just keeps on barking until it runs out of air.

Also, at times she has a high pitched squeal which just doesn't trigger the spray but it is just as (if not more) annoying as her regular bark.

She is a clever little thing!! :love:

K9: The collars do not teach the dog anything, the dog learns that barking isnt as pleasureable as it once was, this breaks the habit & when the collar is taken off the dogs dont bark in many cases.

The 99% success rate is based on a "fit the collar the barking stops" test. This is the first step that needs to be taken to get the council & neighbours off peoples backs in most cases.

Without this high success rate, there is no chance of braking the habit.

Ok since the thread is about collars Ill ask here.

I have a yapper and a barker (basically the two different sorts of barks).

Kelpie x loves to bark at anything on his street (covering a large area) but will bark through a citronella collar.

BC x will yap at various things, electrical noises (drills, vaccumes etc), flies, while playing and anything above her (planes, birds etc) but will also bark through a citronella collar. She has had an e-collar (or what I believe to be one) on her before and it does pull her to a stop.

Being in SA its a bit of an issue getting one. Can I purchase it out of town and get it sent here? OR is there anything else I can do? I have made some modifications to my yard so there is less barking but its still an issue.

K9: The Cold spray collars in our own personal tests returned a success rate of approx 70 - 75%. The electronic no bark collars, namley our Dogtra YS300 is constantly returning over 99% success.

Are these legal in NSW though? I'm at my wits end with Darcy. He barks to warn whatever is "out" there - especially since a few years ago the bratty grandkids next door threw rocks at him.

Guest bigdogg

In my opinion (i am not a pro trainer or anything like that)

But i reckon the e collar be put on the dog for at least 10 days before you switch it on.. Otherwise some "smarter/cunning" dogs will associate the collar to the correction. Having the collar not turned on in this time should stop this problem..

as for your situation heidly - i have no idea sorry.. static correction anti bark collars are legal here in qld and from any statistics are the only way to go..