Really Good Groomer In Sydney?

So here is the situation, I thought I had found a very good groomer in Sydney who also does hand stripping - last time I took Gomez to the place, he threw a little tizzy fit when they were taking him to the grooming area, something he has never done before. When I collected him, he couldn't get away fast enough, which is odd - some poeple here have met him and have tried walking away with him, and he is more than happy to go with people he likes!!

After I collected him, I took him to the park nearby where I ran into some locals, and in conversation it came out where I had just taken him - the consensus was that the place is not a good one and most dogs hate it there, get very stressed and are not treated in the best manner, which sort of explains the tizzy fit, hey?

So, I think I need to find a very good, very nice groomer who will get him over his grooming trauma, until now, he would run into the groomers happily - if they do hand stripping, that would b a plus, but if not, just grooming, i.e. tidying up, nail clipping, etc... would be great -

Any ideas, please? I don't mind if I have to travel, this one was not exactly local anyway...

There's one in Lane Cove but I cant remember the name.

FWIW - some dogs chuck a wobbly at my front gate too, but I can guarantee I'm not rough on them. Some(most) dogs would just rather be doing other stuff ;)

I find the main dogs who get super excited to come are the ones who get no attention at home and are outdoor dogs. They never want to leave with their owners.

I worked in a salon before where they were quite rough with the dogs (hence my leaving) after each dog was done they were given treats and then maybe some cuddles so most dogs were happy to come back as they usually remember the treats, very sad :)

I've also heard Bella and Fox are good too, they are in Drummoyne. They have a web site.

*Everything that comes out of Mondo Cane stinks like stale nicotene. Unless they've stopped sparking up in there 9-5. A shame as they have nice stuff but I would never buy from there.

Edited by Clyde

I groom from my home. Some dogs just decide they don't like being groomed. I have dogs that come to me as puppies, come every month and do so for years. I do nothing to them apart from the obvious. But they decide to start trembling at the door and fly back to their owners trying to get away from me. I believe a lot of dogs hate the grooming. They hate the ear plucking, the anal sac squeezing, the toe nails cut, the water up the nose, being put in a cage, having hair pulled, the list goes on. The dog just has to hate one of those things and it's a horrible experience and i'm a monster. So basing a change of groomer solely on how the dog behaves, for me is a common misconception. But if you feel uncomfortable there, don't go.

I'm happy to go to mondo Cane for products ie: Treats and Toys but not for grooming anymore! We were sending Snoopy there and he was a little nightmare it took the 7 hours to do him! i think thats just a bit extreme! and he was always unhappy when he came out; I mean yes they groomed him but he was stressed and upset everytime we picked him up so we have taken to doing him ourselves;

Gomez is there no one who you know that can teach you how to handstrip?? I'm sure someone would be happy to teach and show you so u can do it yourself!

I groom from my home. Some dogs just decide they don't like being groomed. I have dogs that come to me as puppies, come every month and do so for years. I do nothing to them apart from the obvious. But they decide to start trembling at the door and fly back to their owners trying to get away from me. I believe a lot of dogs hate the grooming. They hate the ear plucking, the anal sac squeezing, the toe nails cut, the water up the nose, being put in a cage, having hair pulled, the list goes on. The dog just has to hate one of those things and it's a horrible experience and i'm a monster. So basing a change of groomer solely on how the dog behaves, for me is a common misconception. But if you feel uncomfortable there, don't go.

I agree. Also a lot of dogs put on an act for mum and dads benefit. They shake and tremble and as soon as the door shuts as mum leaves you can see them thinking "well that didn't work" and they trot off to their beds or run straight to me for pats. Its funny to watch ;)

I agree. Also a lot of dogs put on an act for mum and dads benefit. They shake and tremble and as soon as the door shuts as mum leaves you can see them thinking "well that didn't work" and they trot off to their beds or run straight to me for pats. Its funny to watch ;)

I would have thought that also, but the fact that several other people have said something about it, makes me wonder - also the fact that I never actually met the groomer, they are always unavailable and will not come down to meet any customers is a bit odd to me, no? I have been told more specifically what the groomer at this place does now, and I'm really not happy...

When I used to drop him off at the breeder's (in the UK) he would fly out of the car and into her grooming shed and sit by the tables, and it was always a drag trying to get him to come home with us... Even in Melbourne when I used to take him to Whoopsys, he was always fine and happy to stay.

I'm happy to go to mondo Cane for products ie: Treats and Toys but not for grooming anymore! We were sending Snoopy there and he was a little nightmare it took the 7 hours to do him! i think thats just a bit extreme! and he was always unhappy when he came out; I mean yes they groomed him but he was stressed and upset everytime we picked him up so we have taken to doing him ourselves;

Gomez is there no one who you know that can teach you how to handstrip?? I'm sure someone would be happy to teach and show you so u can do it yourself!

Snoopy, I use the mars coat king now, and tidying up with that he needs less stripping, so I can handle that bit, it's the anal sacs, the nail clipping (he has very long quicks and dark nails) and the ear plucking that I need real help with - I would never trust myself with his nails!

There's one in Lane Cove but I cant remember the name.

FWIW - some dogs chuck a wobbly at my front gate too, but I can guarantee I'm not rough on them. Some(most) dogs would just rather be doing other stuff :confused:

I find the main dogs who get super excited to come are the ones who get no attention at home and are outdoor dogs. They never want to leave with their owners.

I worked in a salon before where they were quite rough with the dogs (hence my leaving) after each dog was done they were given treats and then maybe some cuddles so most dogs were happy to come back as they usually remember the treats, very sad ;)

I've also heard Bella and Fox are good too, they are in Drummoyne. They have a web site.

*Everything that comes out of Mondo Cane stinks like stale nicotene. Unless they've stopped sparking up in there 9-5. A shame as they have nice stuff but I would never buy from there.

So... just how far up the Northern beaches are you?!?!?! :o

Hi Gomez the norfolk, I am a groomer and even i think that sounds suss! I think a good groomer should always be happy to show you their workspace, environment and especially themselves! Time can be precious for a groomer and days can be beyond hectic, but i will always make time for a new client to show them how things operate. Even if the groomer is extremely busy, there is no reason you should not be able to make an appointment to speak with them and be shown around. There should be nothing to hide. I would make sure of this in your hunt for a new groomer.

ah yes....I also wouldn't be taking my dog somewhere that I couldn't meet the groomer or see the grooming area. A lot of groomers are set up that way though.

Whereabouts in Sydney are you Gomez ? I think you may be in the east somewhere near me &,if so, I have lots of friends who have their dogs groomed so I could ask around for recommends. If this is the case also perhaps you could PM me the groomer to avoid ?!