Grooming A Schnauzer..

Hi there,

We should be getting our standard schnauzer in a couple of months, and I was reading up on grooming... and wanted to check some things. If they are clipped they go soft (lose the wirey outer coat that the breed is supposed to have) yes? Is that a bad thing? Obviously this isn't going to be a show dog. But I wasn't sure what other functions the coat has. It is warm up here is QLD, and would clipping be the coolest coat for her?

I will be getting the grooming done professionally until I am confident to learn myself, but from what I have read clipping would be easier than hand stripping. Any advice/thoughts very welcome, I am on that steep learning curve!

Thanks.

From a groomer's perspective.... If it's not a show dog, CLIP! Stripping is time consumming and labor intensive, especially for a novice. You would be hard pressed to find a groomer who will hand strip and the cost would be enormous. Please clip! Good luck with your pup!

got to agree with qashmir! If it's not a show dog and you don't have to spend time hand stripping, i would suggest a nice clean clip. If it's hot, then the dog doesn't have to deal with not only the length but the heaviness of the coat (especially in the humid weather!) and if it's really cold then schnauzers look gorgeous in little coats!

It really depends on you & your dogs coat.

The greater majority of std schnauzers have very breed true correct coats & are infact very easy to roll(not stripped out fully).

If the pup does havea good coat & with some basic tools you could work on it & have the harsh coat & all the groomer needs to do is the feet,throat,bum & ears & a good strip through if they have the right tools.

If you worked on the coat it would be 10 mins weekly.

If your pup hasa soft coat then clip

Your breeder should be able to inform you on your dogs coat .

We clip some stds but most we actually roll there coats .

When clipped most stds can still retain there harsh coat.

When clipped though others will end up with a very soft top coat & it will lighten the colour.

Clipping has no health effect on a schnauzer its purely what you want to do & the coat but stds often have very easy coats to work on.

Infact we groomed our regular rolled coat std yesterday & all finished (feet etc etc) 1.5 hrs but the owners do the bulk of the work & we simpy do the finishing touches

Thankyou all very much,

Clipping would be a lot easier!

Settlvr - Not sure how the puppy will turn out, the parents are one of each extreme I think (from memory) - the father is very wirey and the mother quite soft. I didn't ask at the time, but I'm sure they will help out as much as they can. 'Rolling' sounds good, I'll look it up. Can I ask (sorry I don't know if this is bad manners on here!) how much is costs people to get all the other bits done? I know it will vary, but just a ball park figure... I'll call the local people too and ask them.

:rolleyes:

Having said though your breeder may clip your pup up before leaving.

We clip all our minis before they go to there homes so best to discuss what you want with your breeder.

All our puppy owners get asked & it explained to them

I used to clip a pair of Standards, about 3 times a year I guess, and we charged $55 per dog. They didnt have anything special done, but kept the Schnauzer look IF possible (IE no huge matts in the legs)

I only do small dogs now, but if i were to do a standard, i would charge min $80.

Standards are still quite small. you aren't confusing them with the Giant?

Schnauzer clip for a Standard would be $65, I don't go Giants but if I did it would be about $90.

I don't do many pure breds and find the Schnoodle coat quite possibly the most difficult coat to work with, ever.

Congratulations on the impending puppy, Redmum! My parents have a black mini (they are in Noosa) and he is clipped - much easier to maintain and he looks so sweet. Your breeder will be able to recommend a groomer, my parents take Nelson out to a lovely lady that breeds schnauzers, so she knows what she is doing :offtopic:

Redmum congratulations on your new puppy wishing you all the best.

I have been grooming for about 7 years now and it would be my recommendation that if the dog is a pet only to have him clipped (much like everyone else said). I groom a few Std Schnauzers at the moment and all of them have wiry coats and the clipping does not seem to affect them much at all. On the price thing i would charge $70 - $80 for a Std Schnauzer but all groomers are different and i think your location will affect the price also.

Good on you also for doing your homework before bringing puppy home :offtopic:

Thanks!!! Its great to have an idea of the price, so I know if the one down the road is a good price. Glad that clipping is acceptable, it means I have a chance of doing it myself one day.

I'm so excited LOL. The pregnancy hasn't even been confirmed yet!! We have waited a long time to get these specific parents (for their nature/colour etc), but I'm glad we did wait. Noosa isn't too far from our breeder, wonder if its the same person! I doubt it though LOL.

:offtopic: