Storage/archiving Etc.

ruthless

I can't bring myself to cull, good thing too as after my pup passed away at 7 months I have thousands of photos to remember him by - even if they aren't all crash hot :( Though I did bite the bullet last week and bought a 750GB external hard drive and case for $180 including postage :laugh:

I can't bring myself to cull, good thing too as after my pup passed away at 7 months I have thousands of photos to remember him by - even if they aren't all crash hot :clap: Though I did bite the bullet last week and bought a 750GB external hard drive and case for $180 including postage :clap:

That's so great that you still have all those photos!

Good price on the drive :clap:

I hit Black Friday in October - had a friend go down and pick up two drives for me. Worked well coz I was in the US and just picked them up from her house, but had I not been, shipping is nothing so I'd just have them posted to me for another $30 or so...still a good deal. I'm betting the 1TB ones are dirt cheap this October and may upgrade to them and ditch some of the smaller drives.

LOL on the culling. Why? Sometimes the best exposure or frame isn't the one that brings tears of laughter to your eyes or maybe the "best" frame is a really nice but the frames on either side have one of your friends or a sister pulling a dopey face? Or maybe those that missed the mark will help you look back and learn to get it right next time, so they provide excellent reference resource.

I toss OOF stuff and I toss most stuff that is WAY dark (dang compacts and their baby flashes anyway), but other than that I keep a lot of stuff that isn't good photography, just because storage is cheap and on rainy days when I have nothing else to do I like to pick a random folder and just flip back through :)

Storage is cheap, so if I have any interest in a frame, I just keep it! Of course, I keep every letter from my family, too...

If we kept every image we photographed we would need an entire room to fit a hard drive. It is a bit hard to keep every shot on hard drive when you shoot in the capacity that we do. :(

(We do keep EVERY image - but not on hard drive. As soon as we have photographed a job ALL images are burnt to two discs in their original form. All poor quality images are culled from the file that is kept on the hard drives. )

LOL on the culling. Why? Sometimes the best exposure or frame isn't the one that brings tears of laughter to your eyes or maybe the "best" frame is a really nice but the frames on either side have one of your friends or a sister pulling a dopey face? Or maybe those that missed the mark will help you look back and learn to get it right next time, so they provide excellent reference resource.

I toss OOF stuff and I toss most stuff that is WAY dark (dang compacts and their baby flashes anyway), but other than that I keep a lot of stuff that isn't good photography, just because storage is cheap and on rainy days when I have nothing else to do I like to pick a random folder and just flip back through :D

Storage is cheap, so if I have any interest in a frame, I just keep it! Of course, I keep every letter from my family, too...

If we kept every image we photographed we would need an entire room to fit a hard drive. It is a bit hard to keep every shot on hard drive when you shoot in the capacity that we do. :laugh:

(We do keep EVERY image - but not on hard drive. As soon as we have photographed a job ALL images are burnt to two discs in their original form. All poor quality images are culled from the file that is kept on the hard drives. )

???

A 750GB hard drive holds the equivalent of 156 DVDs.

I'd rather store 1 hard drive than 156 DVDs.

I toss OOF stuff and I toss most stuff that is WAY dark (dang compacts and their baby flashes anyway), but other than that I keep a lot of stuff that isn't good photography, just because storage is cheap and on rainy days when I have nothing else to do I like to pick a random folder and just flip back through :D

If we kept every image we photographed we would need an entire room to fit a hard drive. It is a bit hard to keep every shot on hard drive when you shoot in the capacity that we do. :laugh:

???

A 750GB hard drive holds the equivalent of 156 DVDs.

I'd rather store 1 hard drive than 156 DVDs.

And if something happens to the hard drive we lose an entire client file.

Our system - burn two copies of ALL files in original form to DVD/CD - (stored in two different places in case of fire, theft, etc )

Images are also stored on hard drive, but as we edit, we cull the images that we don't need.

When editing is complete, another file is burnt (again - incase of fire, theft, etc.)

Back in 2004 my computer was stolen - with it went five weddings that were in various stages of editing. Try explaining that one to happy brides/commercial clients. (luckily I had only JUST gone digital and most of the work on film and having it scanned back then... it merely set me back hundreds of hours. - brides still weren't happy.)

As much as people are saying "buy more external storage", the humble dvd/cd can be a great asset when it comes to storage.

Thanks for the head's up on the spelling mistake! I'll get in there and change it - there's quite a few changes that need to be made, so I'll add it to the list!

Storage for clients is another ball game to storage for personal use, for me, though many of the ways I do things overlap. I have back up DVDs of certain things, too. And I check and/or reburn my disks every so often as DVDs/CDs do fail after a time and I'd be bummed if I had taken the time to do it in the first place then five years later couldn't open stuff LOL

Storage for clients is another ball game to storage for personal use, for me, though many of the ways I do things overlap. I have back up DVDs of certain things, too. And I check and/or reburn my disks every so often as DVDs/CDs do fail after a time and I'd be bummed if I had taken the time to do it in the first place then five years later couldn't open stuff LOL

Yep. Totally agree :D