Deformed Pup

Hello Guys

I took my pup to the vet today for a vaccination and pointed out what I had noticed regards to her forearm looking slightly strange, he had a look at her walking & said it looks like her forearm is slightly deformed, it turns in when she walks, so she walks a bit like a duck. He said she's too young to tell whether it will get worse & if it does, she will need surgery otherwise her leg could twist more :D I'm really quite worried for her and the fact I wasn't able to get a straight answer from the vet, worried me more :D

Has anyone else been through this issue??

Edited by tashki

He said it looks like she's injured herself at a young age and as she's still developing, it hasn't healed :D He didn't mention either of those..

Edited by tashki

have a look in the rescue section as I remember someone having a puppy with leg problems and they were splint to help.

Dont know if that would work for your girl but there was heaps of info.

I think Cordy would be able to help also

Sorry but I'm just going to pop this photo up as I've just noticed you can see it fairly well here.. Looking straight at her, it's her left leg... See where it turns in?

post-23516-1211190711_thumb.jpg

Mmm I can't really see anything from her photo apart from her being really cute. Is she a staffy? How old is she?

I have just recently been through knuckling with a rescue pug pup and cutting back her food and changing her diet a bit has helped. She went through a few stages from it looking like she was walking on her tippy toes to her legs sort of bowing.

Have a look at this website. http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/knuckling_over.htm do any of the pictures look like what is happening with your girls leg?

He said it looks like she's injured herself at a young age and as she's still developing, it hasn't healed :( He didn't mention either of those..

This kind of sounds to me like he was describing a growth plate injury. Please call back and ask the vet to clarify. If it is a growth plate injury what happens (most times) is the pup breaks one of the places in the bone that it grows from. In general there are two growth plates in each bone, one at either end. If it's broken it can stop growing from that end. So, you could see bowing of the legs because one bone is growing like it should and the other isn't. If thats the case - surgery is you only option unfortunately. If her legs are bowing because of growth issues - ie she's growing to fast and needs to grow more slowly - looking at that great dane lady website is a great idea. It'll help you make better food choices :-) to slow her growth.

This is probably way off base but check her elbows - run your fingers along the back of the leg up over the elbow - do they both fell the same and have the pointy bit right at the top? I've a dog who was born with a problem, showed up in Xrays at 5 months. It was first thought that the problem was lower down but turned out to be in the elbow.

Maybe you should see another vet to get a second opinion, or request that Xrays be done to see if it is a problem in the bones.

The Murdoch Uni vets are really good and thorough with problems that don't have an obvious answer.

ETA - Let me know if you want the number, I work @ Murdoch Uni so I have it on hand here!

Edited by StaceyB

I'm with StaceyB on this one get a second opinion. Even if the second vet tells you the same thing they may be able to explain it better than the first one and you might walk away feeling less confused and a hundred times better.

I got a second opinion on Bombers hip dysplasia (after worrying about it for over a month) and even though the second vet gave us the same diagnosis the extra time he took with me to answer questions and the way that he explained things just made so much more sense to me. It just helped to ease my uneasiness so to speak. Might be something to consider.

Whatever you do good luck. You have a beautiful girl there. :rolleyes:

Mmm I can't really see anything from her photo apart from her being really cute. Is she a staffy? How old is she?
- She is a Staffy x APBT rescue pup, around 10 weeks old. :D

Yes, thank you! he was saying it could possibly be a growth plate injury :rolleyes: & yes please StaceyB I'd love the number for Murdoch uni :) If she needs surgery I'd rather have it done sooner rather than later, however the vet I went to see said she's too young to say as of yet.. Anyway thanks guys for the great advice, I'm hoping things turn out okay.

- She is a Staffy x APBT rescue pup, around 10 weeks old. :D

Yes, thank you! he was saying it could possibly be a growth plate injury :rolleyes: & yes please StaceyB I'd love the number for Murdoch uni :) If she needs surgery I'd rather have it done sooner rather than later, however the vet I went to see said she's too young to say as of yet.. Anyway thanks guys for the great advice, I'm hoping things turn out okay.

I've PM'd you tash!