Barf Diet

HI everyone,

I am more that sure that i would find in here some avid BARF people!, I have been feeding my to Dogs on Eukanuba Charlie on the Puppy formula and the Rogue on the Weight control food. OH recently bought a bunch of bones from the butcher ( more as a treat than as a meal) Anyway I had been giving them to them as a morning feed. And I have decided that BARF would definalty be a much cheaper and healthy way to feed me dogs IF I got the right information and was able to manage it properly for both of them. So I was hoping to get some advice about how it all works and recommendations for further reading from people who use BARF and your experiences with it.

Thanks

Guest Tess32

Are you set on BARF itself or just 'raw' diet in general? :clap:

I don't feed any mince as per the BARF diet, mostly everything I feed is a raw meaty bone for main dinner, plus in the morning there will be a meaty meal or fish meal or offal with some vegies and oil supplement.

Are you set on BARF itself or just 'raw' diet in general? :clap:

I don't feed any mince as per the BARF diet, mostly everything I feed is a raw meaty bone for main dinner, plus in the morning there will be a meaty meal or fish meal or offal with some vegies and oil supplement.

Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference??, I have only ever fed commercial foods so I am a complete novice at this. I don't want to feed mince, I read some stuff on the BARF diet which made me interested in it. I like the Idea of them getting meaty bones, fresh meat and some veges and also me knowing exactly what they are getting. I just want to make sure I am getting the right balance for both of them. I would love more info on it.

Guest Tess32

That's ok :clap:

BARF is the diet by Ian Billinghurst. He has a book on it so you could follow that if you like.

Prey model is based on the idea of dogs eating 'whole' prey (or as close as you can get), a lot of meat, no vegetable.

I feed my 25kgish dogs on below:

Monday:

Breakfast: Vegetables, 100grams of liver, 1 chicken wing

Dinner: Lamb Neck

Tuesday:

Breakfast:Vegetables, beef, yoghurt

Dinner: Duck or chicken frames

Wednesday

Breakfast: Vegetables, salmon or sardines

Dinner: Maryland, Goat ribs or or turkey wings

Thursday:

Breakfast: Vegetables, 100 grams offal (kidney, pancreas, lungs), one chicken wing

Dinner: Lamb Neck

Friday

Breakfast: Vegetables, heart and tongue

Dinner: Duck frames, one egg

Saturday

Breakfast: Vegetables, chicken wing

Dinner: Maryland, turkey or goat

Sunday

Breakfast: Vegetables, beef tongue or heart

Dinner: Chicken frames

This way they get a few meals of just meat, about 5% offal in their weekly diet, a big raw meaty bone one day and the next day a bonier meal like chicken frames.

They get around 2% of their ideal body weight.

You basically need to feed raw meaty bones (not all boney meals like frames, they generally don't have much meat on them) and offal. You can add mushed up vegies if you like, as well as fish, an egg etc.

Thank you so much !! Would a butcher have all of those things?? Sounds like a fantastic way to feed you dogs, How easy are the chicken frames to chew through ? I have concerns about my Bulldog cause she enhales food :clap: Chicken wings are out for her I know she likes chicken necks , She loves big meaty bones and chews for hours and I am a bit concerned about her eating the pups food cause she is a piglet. I will try and get my hands on a BARF book. What veges do you feed?

(sorry about all the questions just really curious)

Squirt here is Poodlefans BARF diet if that helps.

I'm about to start making my own as buying the BARF patties is getting a bit exy.

Poodlefan’s BARF Veggie Mix

I based this on Dr B's recipe for veggie patties in GYPWB. Lets see if I can explain it like a cook book does!

Ingredients

1 small container of yogurt

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil

2 kg of mixed fruit and veggies (I use some root veggies, some fruit and some green veggies in every mix)

1 kg full fat beef mince

1 large piece of liver or a few kidneys

Optional: Any nutritional supplement as per directions eg. Missing Link, Green Pet

Method

1. Add yogurt, flax seed oil and supplement to a large container (I use a 20 litre bucket) and blend well

2. Add the mince and mix well .

3. Juice a little of the fruit and veggies. Add some of the juice to a blender and blend the offal until smooth. Resist urge to smell mix – you will regret it. Try not to vomit at result’s appearance and add to main ingredients.

4. Run the rest of the fruit and veggies through the juicer or blender. Add all the pulp to the mix and enough juice to obtain a firm but not sloppy consistency. You should end up with about 30% mince mix and the rest is veggies.

5. Put into storage containers and freeze.

I find this mix feeds 5 mini poodles for 5 meals. My mix is evolving over time. I’ve used other additives like Power Blend, Barley Grass Power, Brewers Yeast, Vitamin C – I just change them from time to time.

My large dog owning friends do all the stages from 1 to 3 and then freeze the mix, juicing fresh veggies separately to add to it. This cuts down on freezer space and the time taken to make the mix. I add one or two eggs to the thawed mix, blend them through and feed.

If you find your dog is not accepting the mix, add a little more fresh mince to their feed and slowly reduce the amount of mince they receive.

So, Im thinking a mix of Poodlefans and Tess' diet for my guys. Mildred can't eat bones though :rolleyes:

Anyone, before embarking on BARF. should obtain a copy of Dr. Ian Billinghurst's book - "give a Dog a Bone'. He is the originator or the BARF diet, and I think if you want to do something, going to the source is the right idea. It's a good book, with a lot of good ideas, and well worth reading for anyone interested in BARF.

Google Ian Billinghurst and the site will come up. You can order via the site.

Note - I don't get any advertising fees. Might ask though!!

Guest Tess32
Tess32,

Where abouts do you get things like Duck and Goat from?

I get the duck frames from a normal chicken shop in Frankston shopping centre. The goat is from dandenong market...hallal butcher.

Duck has been pretty easy to find, goat..not so much.

Guest Tess32
Thank you so much !! Would a butcher have all of those things?? Sounds like a fantastic way to feed you dogs, How easy are the chicken frames to chew through ? I have concerns about my Bulldog cause she enhales food :( Chicken wings are out for her I know she likes chicken necks , She loves big meaty bones and chews for hours and I am a bit concerned about her eating the pups food cause she is a piglet. I will try and get my hands on a BARF book. What veges do you feed?

(sorry about all the questions just really curious)

Not every butcher will but chicken frames are very easy to come by, even Safeway have them. Goat can be hard to find, you'd have to find an ethnic butcher probably. Duck frames are reasonably easy, try a chicken shop. The offal is pretty easy to find, everyone has liver etc. From the ethnic butchers I get "lambs pluck" now which is heart (not offal but oh well), lungs etc attached. Just make sure you buy HUMAN grade only :) Turkey wings are also pretty good, not very easy to come by but I've seen them a few places :) Pricey though.

Frame are one of the easiest to chew.

If your bulldog is a bad eater you could first try her on a LARGE meal like half a chicken or even a full chicken and let her get into it and take excess away. Because it's big, she may slow down.

Make sure the lamb necks are never cut VERTICALLY down the middle, dangerous :p

Vegies...nothing exciting - pumpkin, spinach, carrots etc, whatever is around.

Edited cos I am retarded.

Edited by Tess32

Tess32,

I get the duck frames from a normal chicken shop in Frankston shopping centre. The goat is from dandenong market...hallal butcher.

cool thanks for that :(

is that in the shopping centre near Coles?

actually i got some turkey cuts from the place in wells rd but forgot to ask about duck.

will ask them as well

Guest Tess32
Tess32,

cool thanks for that :)

is that in the shopping centre near Coles?

actually i got some turkey cuts from the place in wells rd but forgot to ask about duck.

will ask them as well

It's the chicken shop opposite the butcher, near the grocery store....not the one near the newsagency or the icecream shop.

I'm very bad at descriptions :(

Squirt not sure where in Sydney you are, but Burns Pet Foods in windsor has a great variety of different meats. You can get horse, beef, lamb, mutton (meat and briskets/flaps) as well as chicken and turkey frames. Very good prices too. As for liver and kidneys etc, I just get these from my local coles. They often have heart too.

Edited by stormie

I make my own BARF mix as it is cheaper (PM if you want my recipe) as I can store a fair amount in my freezer but keep a roll of the pre-made for emergencies. I also mix it up with chook necks and have just introduced sardines (tinned in oil) - he has never been so shiny!

Thanks Allison and Tess for those instructions.

i phoned the proud chic poultry place on wells rd in chelsea heights they said they have whole ducks,

but the lady was not sure of prices etc...

i will go down tomorrow and see what they have.

have you guys been able to source turkey necks this side of town?

Guest Tess32

Seen turkey necks at Dandenong Market but they seem to go quite quickly. At the same place they have turkey wings and maryland every week. My mum got turkey wings a few times from Richies too.

Thanks very much for all the info !!, I priced some of the meats at our local butcher and we have a good chicken shop nearby to which has chicken necks and frames. I am going to start Rogue on BARF, I need alot more info on BARF and puppies before I can make the switch for Charlie because I read that the food portions can be different. Anyone fed there pups on a BARF deit?

Edited by squirt80