Itchy Maremma...

Hi,

Looking for ideas...

I have a 14 mth old Maremma (male) who has started suffering a skin condition but we can't seem to find what it is and we don't have easy access to getting him to a vet as we're in a remote area...

The condition started after we moved properties (which makes me think allergy)... it is mainly on one shoulder, spreading slightly down his front leg and surrounds, with a couple of scratch 'holes' (where he's taken the skin off) under his neck. The skin is pink to red - quite sore looking and at times can hold a bit of heat. On observation this week I notice that he seems to be getting some black pigmentation patching on the skin where the hair is missing (either scratched out or fallen out?). We moved at Easter, so at most he's had it coming up 2 months...

I've tried bathing him in Malaseb but only once as we're now in the cold weather and I don't want to give him a chill. Also if anything it seemed to inflame it for day. We did take him over to the vet a couple of weeks ago but she didn't do swabs or anything. She treated him for Fox Mange with Tiguvon as he is working as a livestock guardian and there are a lot of foxes on this property. She also put him on antihistamine tablets in the hope that one of these would help.... alas I would now conclude that it's not fox mange, probably more likely an allergy but narrowing it down ???

He has taken to sleeping under the house, so I do wonder if there is chemicals or something there and am looking at blocking him off from it (regretably as it's good shelter for him). Other than that I guess it could be a grass or something in the garden, given that it is only on one side and doesn't seem to have spread to the rest of his body.

Food wise he is on a mixture of Bonnie and Barko - the same as our working kelpies are on, and is fed about 1 -2 cups once a day. His food hasn't really changed though, so unless it's built up to something I don't think it's the problem??

Any ideas would really help! :laugh:

It sounds like your dog would be very uncomfortable with that extent of an itch.

It would be beneficial to see a vet.

You will need some antihistamines for the dog - you can give human type ones like polaramine and claratine (sp??). You should call the local vet and ask how much to give but I would be giving one tablet morning and night - just my opinion and I am NOT a vet. Not sure of any long term effects of using antihistamines, so this is a vet question too.

Can you bring the dog inside and bathe him in the bathtub or shower? Malaseb works best when it is an ongoing process - say once a fortnight. You can also make a small bowl of malaseb and water 1:30 ratio (1 part malaseb and 30 parts water) and just bathe the infected area (because it sounds like it is infected with the black area). You would need to bathe it at least 3 times a day.

These two suggestions are just going to mask the problem and you need to get to the bottom of it and resolve it or the problem will just keep recurring and could even get worse.

Just from experience, I would suggest that it is possibly a grass or plant that is causing the problem but it could also be food/dirt/bedding or any number of things or a combination of the above.

Good luck and I really think the dog needs to see a vet - it is impossible to diagnose and treat over the internet.

Cheers

Jodie

ok does he work with sheep and /or goats? have you considered lice?

check the property for any different seeding plants.. some grass seeds cause terrible problems for the working dogs.

After all is said and done I would also be looking at adding omega oils to his food. I am not a big fan of the dried food only diets ( personal preferance as i have noticed that some of my maremmas develop itchiness on dried food only) Sardines or mackeral are good. I would also add in vit E supplement with the omegas.

has he had skin scrapings done by the vet if not that should be done. sleeping under house _ fleas, midghes, mites, lice so treat for those.

Cheers

Helen

Our dermatologist has told us that a reaction following Malaseb, (red and sometimes itchier), often means the malaseb is in fact working, and the dog is reacting to the yeast dying etc. Maybe there was some irritation which has now become a bacterial infection?

I agree that another vet visit might be in order.

Thanks guys for all the input - I really appreciate it!

I understand the vet is important - it's just logistically getting him there, so we'll keep working on that one.

I might try changing his diet to something like lamb and rice, and add the omega in too...

Cheers!

Skin things are tricky :laugh:

It is odd that the area is defined, as allergies ,AFAIK can make a dog 'all-over' itchy.

A word of warning..

with the anti-histamines.. be careful if they make him drowsy!!!! if he is a working boy..his judgement/reflexes may be 'off'..and he may well make mistakes, or not be as alert.

Until you can get him to a vet for skin scrapings, etc.. include some LOW/NO acid Vit.C powder or tablets in his food .

( probably a human dose...)