Kinked Tail

Physadeia

When I bought my Petit (PBGV) about a year ago I was told he had a bump under the base of his tail and that it (the bump) would go down and his tail would be fine. As my petit grew it was clear that the bump was not a bump, but a break he most likely sustained as a small puppy... this hypothesis was confirmed by a vet recently. As a result he has a significant kink in his tail. You cannot see it, but you can feel it. Is this a fault? Is there any point in showing a dog with this problem? I have shown him a couple of times and the judges seem to have missed it.

If the judges miss it there's not a problem, but some judges may count it as a fault if they find it. I can't remember if judges run their hand along the tail in a PBGV or not, if they normally don't check the tail and you can't see it I don't think you have much to worry about.

I do run my hand down the length of the tails when I judge.....but Im sure a LOT dont. In my main breeds kinks are desirable, so I've never had to worry!

Sorry OT, but what breed is that Rysup?

The bump sounds like it is probably a fusion, very common in my chosen breed ( dogue de bordeaux) Kinks in my breed are usually reference to actual deviations of the tail like a break would create. Where as a fusion can actually exist anywhere along the spine but most commonly in the tail and similar to DDB's this is something they are born with and not casued by accident or injury as a pup. Many breeders are good at picking up fusions even from birth but many are not and often genuinely don't even realise they have sold a show pup with a tail fault. Sometimes fusions only become more noticable as teh pup grows and calcification begins. I have never heard of a dog out growing a tail fusions or break.

As for a fault in regards to showing, in my breed standard it is listed as a 'serious fault' but not a disqualifing one. Does the PBGV standard make any reference to this? When you consider a fusion it is not changing the dogs conformation in any way as opposed to an a break/kink or deviation of the tail.. The way I see it is you will get the odd judge that might pick it up and it may or may not go against you but I personally don't think it weights anymore seriously than faults like 'cow hocks, missing teeth or incorrect colours.

If it is very high up on the root of the tail most judges will never pick it up, I am yet to see a judge grab a dogs tail that high up unless they are very familiar with that specific problem in the breed and are making a point of looking for it.

How does your PBGV carry his tail.

Many dogs showen ha=ve sustained tail damage but whether it affects the way the tail sits or they way they carry there tail is another thing & how bad the kink is.

What did has your breeder said??

How does your PBGV carry his tail.

Many dogs showen ha=ve sustained tail damage but whether it affects the way the tail sits or they way they carry there tail is another thing & how bad the kink is.

What did has your breeder said??

He holds his tail like any other PBGV and it looks perfectly normal. It's when you feel his tail you can tell all is not well. It may be two fused tail vertebrae or a broken tail vertebrae that didn't set properly. I've noticed that some judges are very hands on, so it's only a matter of time before the fault is detected by a judge. I've never contacted the breeder about this matter because I'm not a full-on serious show person... i'm just wondering how big a fault it is in judges' eyes.

"I've never contacted the breeder about this matter because I'm not a full-on serious show person..."

Whether your serious or not doesnt matter .its always nice to hear if there are any issues when you sell a pup & nicer to hear from the owner not a judge or someone else.

I doubt the breeder will say not show it BUT if some judges decide to no award & the breeder hears about it they might be very concerned as to why

The Kennel Club Standard states:

Tail (Stern): Of medium length; set on high, strong at the base, tapering regularly, well furnished with hair; carried proudly like the blade of a sabre.

Whether the judge feels the lump or not it should be taken into consideration of the whole dog as to how serious the fault is. If the tail does what it says in the standard I doubt you would be non awarded.