Braces For My Dogs Teeth

It has nothing to do with diet- it's caused by trying to fit the same amount of teeth in a Labrador or Kelpie with a nice elongated muzzle as a dog that is brachycephalic and short a good few inches- you get overcrowding.

:) :D Brachycaephalic and other breeds have the same number of teeth.

And if it was my dog, providing the permanent teeth had erupted, I would be consulting another vet regarding removing a couple of teeth to solve the problem. Some tooth problems are self solving when the dog has a full mouth of adult teeth. Unless the dog is expected to run down and kill bison, the loss of a couple of teeth is neither here nor there. But I would be consulting a very good vet.

I groom a toy poodle that has had this procedure done, she had a really bad bite (I've never seen anything like it in a poodle) and her bottom teeth were damaging her top gums.

Each week she was taken back to have it slowly tightened, the dog seemed to be in no discomfort, last time I groomed her she was due to have it off.

Bull Terriers are brachycephalic ??? :(

No they are not.

Spuds M, even tho' your bully was purchased as a pet, I would still contact your breeder and get their opinion first as they are more knowledgeable on Bull Terriers than you vet and get their opinion. They may even refer you to their vet who deals with their dogs and knows the blood-line.

It has nothing to do with diet- it's caused by trying to fit the same amount of teeth in a Labrador or Kelpie with a nice elongated muzzle as a dog that is brachycephalic and short a good few inches- you get overcrowding.

:eek::( Brachycaephalic and other breeds have the same number of teeth.

I think that's what she was saying, that all dogs (should) have the same number of teeth, but it's harder to fit them all in the mouths of brachycephalic breeds since they have proportionally shorter jaws, so brachycephalic breeds are more likely to suffer from tooth crowding and rotation problems.

Not that bull terriers are brachycephalic. :(