Hormonal Issues With A Spayed Bitch?

Hi all

My 6yo spayed bitch had three unprovoked attacks on my 7yo dog just before Xmas last year. Life quickly got back to normal and although my dog was distressed at first they are buddies again

Today she has done the same thing and attacked him for no reason. It it possible that she has hormonal problems even though she is spayed and if so, can this be addressed. The only reason I am saying this is the 6 months between episodes.

I may be way off course here but is the only feasible explanation that I have as they are the greatest of friends the rest of the time.

Please help!

Liz

Are you thinking about retained ovary tissue? If that was the case, you'd possibly see some physical evidence too, like swelling of external parts, nipples. How long since she was speyed?

Sometimes the smallest thing (invisible to humans) will trigger an attack. I've seen comments on some speyed bitches becoming aggressive. I'm interested (without extrapolating) in reports of the effects on women who lose their ovaries before 40; seems dementia may be more likely.

Is your vet likely to be interested?

I'm grasping at straws here, so any explanation would be great!!

Its just the timing that got me thinking more than anything. She had also been alot more interested in Bailey during the last week or so by initiating all the play.

Edited by baileyb

Don't hormones secreted by the pituitary gland tell the dog when to come into season. The still have a piturity gland when desexed.

ETA

The hormonal control of oestrus cycle begins in the brain in the hypothalamus. GnRH

(gonadotrophin releasing hormone) is released. This acts on the pituitary gland to

release LH (luteinising hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). These in

turn act on the ovary to stimulate the growth of the follicles and cause them to

ovulate.

http://www.gsdcqc.com/Articles/Female_Reproduction.pdf

Edited by Janba

I'm having the same issues. But there are so many variables I can't be sure. Mine could just be sick of the pup jumping all over her!? other times she is fine with it. Before she was desexed though she had never so much as growled at any other dog. She is 11.5 months so I guess coming up to 12 months could be a factor too :)

Don't hormones secreted by the pituitary gland tell the dog when to come into season. The still have a piturity gland when desexed.

ETA

The hormonal control of oestrus cycle begins in the brain in the hypothalamus. GnRH

(gonadotrophin releasing hormone) is released. This acts on the pituitary gland to

release LH (luteinising hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). These in

turn act on the ovary to stimulate the growth of the follicles and cause them to

ovulate.

http://www.gsdcqc.com/Articles/Female_Reproduction.pdf

Yeah but there's nothing for LH and FSH to act upon if the ovaries are gone, I think? I don't think FSH and LH change behaviour at all. I'm pretty sure that it's the hormones released by the ovaries that do that (e.g estrogens, progesterones). If the ovaries aren't there, they can't release those. :eek:

I too would guess probably a pack structure or training issue, not a hormonal one.

Edited by Amhailte