8 M/o Pup Hit In Face With Stick

Jessca

last week whilst we where at the footy, a young girl despite me screaming at her to leave kaiser alone, wacked him in the face with a stick because he was trying to hide from her. i am now affraid he will hate little kids for life. as for the rest of the day evertime a kid came near me he growled. please help what can i do to desensitze him??

last week whilst we where at the footy, a young girl despite me screaming at her to leave kaiser alone, wacked him in the face with a stick because he was trying to hide from her. i am now affraid he will hate little kids for life. as for the rest of the day evertime a kid came near me he growled. please help what can i do to desensitze him??

Invite a couple of nice kids over, armed with heaps of delicious treats. You want him to associate kids with great stuff.

Start with one or two kids so it's not too much for him. Make sure the kids give him space and make the treats visible, but not sticking out arms toward him.

Ask the kids not to touch him, just stand still and let him approach them (even if it takes a long time, you and the kids need to be patient). Do it as often as you can in different places. Than introduce more kids and treats.

That is awful for poor Kaiser :confused:

Where were her parents? :)

Have you got any friends with kids that could come over to your place to see him? That may help.

My parents Silky - who was originally mine. He had also had a few bad experiences with kids, so never liked them. He was 5 when my daughter was born and we never left them alone. Over the years he has gotten so used to my 2 kids that he just adores them.

So don't fret too much, just try to get him positive experiences with "nice" kids. You need to be super vigilant if you take him out and don't let him leave your side.

post-22521-1213577589_thumb.jpg

thanks guys for all your help, i'll try and find some trustworthy kids. and start off with them throwing treats to him and slowly get closer.

the parents of the girl were no where to be seen :)

rexiam- its good that silky is like that, hopefully, one day, kaiser will be able to be like that.

thanks again everyone ;)

One of my friends dogs also had a bad experience with children and would growl at children if they came to close. We worked slowly getting some nice kids to come visit regularly and throw him treats until he gained confidence to approach to get the treats. Once he was confident with those children they got them to bring other nice friends with them so he gots used to other children too.

Hope it all works out!

you shouldve grabbed the stick and whacked the kid in the face and repeated "why wont you play with me!"

hell i wouldve :laugh:

I so ditto that. Some kids need to be taught that sought of lesson. Their parents too.

The key is dont push any interaction with a child.Things must be done slow & steady & that may mean a child walking past without any interaction.

Also realize it could take a few months or longer for you dog to regain the trust it had.

I do have to ask why didnt you walk away with Kaiser at that time??

Your dog showed clear signs of distress & you yelling at the child wouldnt have helped the situation,You need to be more pro active in situations & if you feel you dog is in harm or in a position to react you must remove the dog away safely .

Also important to realize footy isnt always the best place for dogs

you shouldve grabbed the stick and whacked the kid in the face and repeated "why wont you play with me!"

hell i wouldve :eek:

I so ditto that. Some kids need to be taught that sought of lesson. Their parents too.

i know i should have :eek:

I do have to ask why didnt you walk away with Kaiser at that time??

Your dog showed clear signs of distress & you yelling at the child wouldnt have helped the situation,You need to be more pro active in situations & if you feel you dog is in harm or in a position to react you must remove the dog away safely .

Also important to realize footy isnt always the best place for dogs

the first time i did that, on a different occasion, the kids chased us and grabbed his tail, i tell you the kids parents payed attention then when i threatened to grab there arms and pull them. so this time i thought i'd try and stand my ground and tell them to go away.

that and i didn't really think, we where sitting down, with kaiser inbetween myself and a friend and it all happened so fast.

i know it was careless.