Collar Restrictions For Obedience Trials

Hi All,

I don't actually have a copy of the rules and regulations for obedience trials and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if there are collar restrictions that apply?

Eg; Only flat collar allowed...

If someone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it! :)

Thanks!

You can have flat, martingale or slip collar (check chain etc).

Hi sorry, one more question. Is this as per ANKC rules? Reason I ask is that I belong to an obedience club which does not allow the use of slip/martingales. Only flat collar and headcollars are allowed to be used. I know that this club hosts obedience and agility trials...So would their collar rules apply or would the ANKC's??

I'm just a little confused....I would expect that it would be an across board thing, but why then would they not allow these to be used normally, yet allow it for a comp? Help?? :):confused:

Some individual clubs may only allow certain collars, but for ANKC comps I am pretty sure you can have slip, limited slip or fixed type collars. You cannot trial on a headcollar.

Personally I have not seen a club which does not allow martingale collars, although I know some which do not allow check chains. I always check which collars are allowed before I even go to check out a club, and would not go to a club which did not allow at least martingales. I prefer a club which allows a range of equipment (including check chains) so you can pick the one that best suits the dog :)

Some individual clubs may only allow certain collars, but for ANKC comps I am pretty sure you can have slip, limited slip or fixed type collars. You cannot trial on a headcollar.

Nor on a prong collar :) although some clubs do allow them (not ANKC affiliated)

Thank guys...I think this clears up my questions. :) Perhaps I'm mistaken and they do allow the martingale...I know for sure they don't allow the slip as I turned up to my first class with one and they informed me that it was not allowed to be used on the grounds (they go by DELTA).

I actually do use a prong (and do so at another club I frequent) but I know that they are not allowed by ANKC affiliated clubs as you've mentioned so don't use it for the particular club I've mentioned.

If you plan on trialling you should buy a ANKC Obedience rule book form your state CC, it will answer all your questions. I think it is foolish to trial without reading the rule book and your club should be advising you of this. :cool:

Hi Pax,

Very good advice and if myself and the other people in question do intend to participate in trialling our dogs we will most certaintly be getting hold of a copy of the rule book! :cool:

This was more of a general question as the topic came up in conversation and we were all under the impression (from what information we were given) that it would be a flat collar only...

I appreciate everyone's replies...

This was more of a general question as the topic came up in conversation and we were all under the impression (from what information we were given) that it would be a flat collar only...

People might have been thinking about agility trials when they were saying that - for those it's flat collar (no tags or anything hanging off) or 'naked' :) .