Where Are You Getting Your Titre Testing Done?

J...

I've made some phone calls over the last few days in regards to getting a titre test done as opposed to vaccination. I've asked my training club and they are tentatively ok about accepting a test certificate over vaccination card, but need to run it past the committee. Obviously if they won't accept the titre, I have no choice but to vaccinate :dunce:

So after some interesting discussions with several vets, including being told that it would cost well over $200 and that no-one in Australia was doing it :) I've been quoted $167.50 and a 3 to 4 week turn around by local vet sending it to Gribbles in Melbourne. Managed to squeeze a mention of the 3 year vacc as well. :(

Does anyone happen to get theirs done either in Geelong or Ballarat? Or even the West side of Melbourne?

What was the turn around time for results - unfortunately I've left it a little late and I'll need results back by end of July in order to renew my membership (if its accepted by the club committee!).

Edited by Jess.

Guest Tess32

Would it help if you could mention vets in Melbourne who DO do it - results in a week or less? I think I paid about $60 for the parvo titer, so distemper as well would presumably be $120.

I was after alternative vets because I'd be happy to make the trip to Geelong/Ballarat or even West Melbourne if that's what needs to happen. :)

My local vet was at least willing to check it out to some extent, but certainly don't seem confident with the results etc which bothers me. Which is why I asked about alternative vets - I'd prefer someone who is more comfortable with the results and knows how to interpret them.

Training club will require the titre test done on all 3 for a C3 equivalent - parvo distemper and hepatitis, if they accept it.

Maybe I should just get her done with the 3 year and hope to god titres are a little more publicised and accepted in 3 years time when she'll be due again. :(

I just did my distemper/parvo through IDEXX Melbourne and they send to the US. Would be close to the $200 mark for the ones I did...as a rough estimate.

Samples are sent on the last Friday of the month and it is a definite 2 week turnaround. There is a Lab in WA who is testing and sounds as though they are cheaper, but it may be a problem if you need to send spun down blood frozen over to the West.

Mel.

I was going to talk to my vet about this and I've heard Vet Path in WA do the tests.

September 2007 - $96.80, done in WA (from Sydney) - parvo and distemper I _think_ .. don't have the cert to hand.

Results took less than a week - around 4 days I think but the vet and I played phone tag a couple days.

Now is that the entire vet bill, or just the pathology charge? :eek:

The break-down of costs I've been given is: $139 for the test (parvo, distemper and hep). $16.50 blood drawing fee and $12 handling fee.

September 2007 - $96.80, done in WA (from Sydney) - parvo and distemper I _think_ .. don't have the cert to hand.

Results took less than a week - around 4 days I think but the vet and I played phone tag a couple days.

The break-down of costs I've been given is: $139 for the test (parvo, distemper and hep). $16.50 blood drawing fee and $12 handling fee.

There was a consult fee on top (as well as some other lab work) - it was an expensive day.

Guest Tess32

That's not too bad - one of my tests was free, and I had to pay $22 for the blood drawing and the courier to Perth -so they are only "overcharging" a tiny bit.

Tried another clinic today, no luck on getting the Hep test, they only do Parvo and Distemper for about $180.

Looks like I'll be booking Darcy in locally here. Will add them to the titre test results thread when they come through. :laugh:

I've got a price list somewhere... will try and dig it up...

found it...

its roughly about $28.00 for inhouse parvo, and about $45.00 for combined inhouse parvo and distemper. These tests are run twice weekly and results would be same to next day I would assume.

they also offer hepatitis, which is sent offsite, and also offer the parvo and distemper tests can be sent offsite (gold standard methods) and are quite a bit more expensive (its about $100 for all three with a 2 week turnaround time).

So add onto this the cost of the courier from your vet to WA, plus the extra bit your vets need to earn...

For those whose vets are telling them it isn't done, tell them to contact VetPath.

Edited by stormie

• 3 weeks later...
I was going to talk to my vet about this and I've heard Vet Path in WA do the tests.

Which vet in Sydney does the titre testing?

Which vet in Sydney does the titre testing?

We use All Natural Vet at Russell Lea (near Drummoyne) - ask your own vet first though - it's not difficult, they just draw the blood and ship it off.. they're all capable of doing it, willing is another matter.

My vet in Brissie does it, but I've only just started using her so I haven't asked for prices yet. She uses QML to courier the blood so that it's handled correctly on it's way to Perth. She advocates it to owners that she believes will still bring their pets in for an annual checkup. Aparently it is starting to be pushed as the correct way to vaccinate pets by WSAVA.

If anyone is interested she gave me a link to the following paper... haven't had a chance to read it yet so not sure of exact content but it talks about the guidelines they want to use. WSAVA paper