A Separate 'behaviour Problems' Forum?

It strikes me that Fred won his second Agility Trial is a totally different kettle of fish from Fred is growling at the kids, help!, both in terms of the dogs' level of experience as well as the owners'.

At the moment these problem behaviour threads seem to be spread over this training forum and the puppy forum and even the general forum. It would help new or troubled owners find answers faster and easier as well if the problem behaviours and/or beginner's issues were in their own separate forum.

Edited by anthony mazzeri

I agree - even if it is only a subforum in "training" or something.

A lot of people have been posting things that I would take straight to a prefessional - it'd be easier to sort out which problems can be dealt with on your own and which you should consult a trainer or behaviourist about!

What people don't seem to realise is that most answers to these behavioral posts end with "consult a behaviorist". No real behavior problem can be acurately diagnosed over the net. This title of this forum does not include the words "Behavioral modification", and was intended for "Fred won his second obedience trial"

What people don't seem to realise is that most answers to these behavioral posts end with "consult a behaviorist". No real behavior problem can be acurately diagnosed over the net. This title of this forum does not include the words "Behavioral modification", and was intended for "Fred won his second obedience trial"

Well, exactly, this is supposed to be an advanced forum (ie, Dog Sports), so where do the really basic How do I get Skippy to stop jumping on the kids? training/behaviour questions go? Do they come under the 'Training/Obedience' part of this particular forum? Or if Skippy is under 12 months, do they go in the puppy forum, so they're all over the place?

A 'sticky' at the top of the forum can have a questionnaire type list for people to answer when posting their problem. Age of dog, number of kids, size of yard, amount of exercise etc. And surely things like digging holes and pulling the washing off the line don't require professional behaviourists? As Shell says, some things can be dealt by the people themselves with just with a bit of good advice based on common knowledge. If it's aggression or something, sure, then those problems can be referred to another 'consulting a professional bevahiourist, here's a list of good'uns' 'sticky' at the top of the forum.

If it's aggression or something, sure, then those problems can be referred to another 'consulting a professional bevahiourist, here's a list of good'uns' 'sticky' at the top of the forum.

Good post AM...but with the above quote I can see a 'flame' being created..everyone has their own ideas of a "good'un and here lies another problem.

Just MHO...

Cheers

Why do we need more forums???

If it's a training/behaviour issue .... post in training forum.

Quite often the training/behaviour issues posted in General get picked up anyway.

And for searches, it only means searching in 3 forums (general; training; puppies). Heh ..... Duss'n madder. :laugh:

Add more forums and you're gonna find you'll have more forums to search in, because people will still get mixed up.

I think most manage ok, don't they??? Why create more work and more regulation? I think DOL does well enough :laugh:.

JMO

Agree with Erny but also just wanted to add that there are times when what an owner sees as a simple problem (eg digging holes) is much more complex. I have gone to see dogs where the owner had told me over the phone that the dog just pulls on the lead but when i get there i find a dog who is highly anxious or behaves aggressively- while pulling on the lead!

Edited by Cosmolo

KISS :shrug:

Agree with Kelpie-i.

And Cosmolo is correct too - I often find the same. Which is why so many answers to the training/behaviour issues they post about end up in the answer "consult with a trainer/behaviourist". There can be so much more than what meets the inexperienced eye.

There's a thread in the general discussion right now about two dogs barking at the neighbour's cats through the fence, where one has picked up the behaviour off the other one. I don't think there's any underlying serious problems there, just an annoying behaviour they want to know how to stop. So if you have the same behaviour in your dog/s you want to curb and search only this forum, you won't see that thread or the replies and advice in that forum.

The UK Cocker Spaniel forum has a separate behaviour forum (where I got the idea from) and it's extremely helpful just browsing through all the related behaviour topics without having them mixed up with other topics.

And Cosmolo is correct too - I often find the same. Which is why so many answers to the training/behaviour issues they post about end up in the answer "consult with a trainer/behaviourist". There can be so much more than what meets the inexperienced eye.

Exactly why a separate behaviour forum would work better, I think. You more expert dog people can work out a questionnaire people have to fill out before posting a problem to give you a far clearer picture about the situation right from the outset instead of having to probe for information yourselves (how old's the dog, was it a rescue, who walks/feeds it, etc etc) over three pages when someone asks about dogs digging or pulling on lead.

i agree with the others - people more often than not are trying to resolve a symptom to a much bigger underlying problem

also those who have well trained dogs are good for advice or opinions and generally know w abit more about a dogs mentality

There's a thread in the general discussion right now about two dogs barking at the neighbour's cats through the fence, where one has picked up the behaviour off the other one. I don't think there's any underlying serious problems there, just an annoying behaviour they want to know how to stop. So if you have the same behaviour in your dog/s you want to curb and search only this forum, you won't see that thread or the replies and advice in that forum.

And the good people from the general forum would normally (at some stage) direct the person to the Training forum, if it is not picked up in the general forum beforehand.

The UK Cocker Spaniel forum has a separate behaviour forum (where I got the idea from) and it's extremely helpful just browsing through all the related behaviour topics without having them mixed up with other topics.

People who write in the general forum about training/behaviour issues are posting in the wrong forum. The training forum is for the type of thing you describe.

EYou more expert dog people can work out a questionnaire people have to fill out before posting a problem to give you a far clearer picture about the situation right from the outset instead of having to probe for information yourselves (how old's the dog, was it a rescue, who walks/feeds it, etc etc) over three pages when someone asks about dogs digging or pulling on lead.

Thanks for the idea. Perhaps we can do that in the extra left over spare time we have :wink: :shrug:.