Ringworm

has anyones dog had ringworm?

if so how did you treat it and how long did it take to go away?

My dog hasn't had it although I've contracted it a couple of times over the years, working with cats. I believe it would eventually go away on it's own but will go more quickly if treated topically for something like 6-8 weeks. Apparently dogs usually pick it up from cats.

Edited by LuvMyCav

Ringworm is a highly contagious and infectious fungus condition. You, your family and any other animals in the house or that come into contact with the infected dog are also at risk of contracting ringworm if you do not seek immediate treatment and isolate the dog that has it.

Take your dog to the Vet where they will determine if it is ringworm and then prescribe an ointment to clear it. They will also advise you on hygiene practises that you will have to follow to prevent the spread of the ringworm and to prevent re-infection.

Under NO circumstance should you let it 'go away on it's own'!

Ringworm is a highly contagious and infectious fungus condition. You, your family and any other animals in the house or that come into contact with the infected dog are also at risk of contracting ringworm if you do not seek immediate treatment and isolate the dog that has it.

Take your dog to the Vet where they will determine if it is ringworm and then prescribe an ointment to clear it. They will also advise you on hygiene practises that you will have to follow to prevent the spread of the ringworm and to prevent re-infection.

I have already had him to the vet and have been treating it for 6 days. The vet didnt tell me anything about it being so contagious. We dont have other animals, only kids who dont touch Maverick anyway.

Is it only the ringworm on his face that is contagious or is it his saliva and fur too :laugh:

He comes insaide alot but only sits on his mat. Should I leave him outside?

I obviously have been washing my hands after treating his ringworm twice a day and I am trying not to pat him.

I have already had him to the vet and have been treating it for 6 days. The vet didnt tell me anything about it being so contagious. We dont have other animals, only kids who dont touch Maverick anyway.

Is it only the ringworm on his face that is contagious or is it his saliva and fur too :laugh:

He comes insaide alot but only sits on his mat. Should I leave him outside?

I obviously have been washing my hands after treating his ringworm twice a day and I am trying not to pat him.

I am amazed that your Vet didn't at least warn you to ensure the children wash their hands. It is only the affected area that is contagious. It is good that you don't have other pets. He is fine to have inside but it is best that he is confined to an area while the ringworm is active. I can't recall how long this is, perhaps some one else can advise, but I woudl think that by day 6 it shuld almsot be under control.

You should also wash his bedding to ensure he doesn't re-infect himself. There is no need to keep him outside.

This is from the Gladesville Vet Hospital website;

Ringworm can spread from animals to people, from people to animals and both can catch the infection from the soil. Fungal spores are shed from infected skin, where they can survive in the environment for months to years before causing infection. People and animals with a weaker immune system (they are young, old, sick or on certain medications) are at greater risk of developing a ringworm skin infection.

Some animals are only diagnosed when a human member of the family develops a skin lesion.

Several different techniques can be used to try to diagnose a ringworm infection in animals. About 50% of the most common type of dermatophyte fungi will fluoresce under an ultraviolet light, so this is the easiest way to confirm an infection. If there is no fluorescence under a UV lamp, then other methods such as examination of a hair sample under the microscope (though the spores are very difficult to find) and fungal cultures (though this will often take 2 weeks) can be used to try to confirm the disease. In rare instances a skin biopsy may be the only way to diagnose the problem.

If you are suspicious that your pet may have ringworm (for example if members of the family started to get ringworm lesions after a new kitten was purchased, or your pet has unexplained skin lesions) then an appointment should be made for the pet to be examined by a vet. If the animal is diagnosed with ringworm, or sometimes if we are just strongly suspicious of ringworm, we can start a treatment plan to try to clear the infection and minimise the risk of further lesions in the pet and other family members. This treatment generally involves a dual approach, in that it is necessary to treat the affected pet or pets, as well as the household environment (because the spores can be so long-lasting). Oral medication is available, but as these medications inhibit fungal reproduction rather than directly killing the ringworm, the course will often need to last 1-2 months. Washing the pet in an antifungal shampoo (often twice weekly) helps to control the infection and reduce environmental contamination.

The other part of the approach to dealing with a ringworm infection involves decontamination of the environment. Thorough frequent vacuuming of the carpets and areas that the animal spends time can reduce the contamination of the environment and reduce the risk of further problems.

Steam cleaning the carpets, although not hot enough to kill spores, would help to reduce contamination even more than vacuuming. After solid surfaces have been cleaned, they can be disinfected (a 1:10 solution of bleach, left on for 10 minutes is effective, but this must only be used on surfaces that aren’t going to be damaged by the bleach).

I hope this helps. :D

Yes thank you, you have helped.

I have been washing his bedding every 2 days and he is not allowed on our carpet so he is only walking on the tiles to his mat (covered with a towel).

It is not looking much different after 6 days of treatment, think I will ring the vet when he is in on Wednesday and see when he will no longer be contagious. He never told me not to take him anywhere or keep him a way from other animals.

Just gave me antifungal cream and said to apply it twice a day for 2 weeks.

Thanks Bel. Mavericks ringworm is on his face near his eye so I dont want to wash it with anything. I do have Malaseb though as I was washing his paws with it 8 weeks ago when he had a yeast overgrowth.

Today is day 7 of treatment and I think I can see a very small improvement.

has anyones dog had ringworm?

if so how did you treat it and how long did it take to go away?

Hi there Daddles, "HALAMID" fixes the problem,if you know a farmer that milks cows, it is the same stuff that they rinse the teats with before milking, I used nearly the same, when I had a Mr Whippy truck to clean the stainless soft serve machine.

You will find it here below.

I THINK if you gave your animal a CANISTAN tablet for thrush from the local chemist, you will find it as the same as a fungus tablet from your vet(Grisovin),but remember adjust it to the weight of the animal compared to the weight of a human.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=n...8&q=halamid

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...earch&meta=

Grisovin

How does it work?

Griseofulvin is a drug used to treat fungal infections of the skin, hair and nails. When given by mouth this medication concentrates itself in keratin, a protein which is present in all of these areas. It is thought to work by interfering with fungal cell growth and replication. It does not kill an established fungal infection but instead prevents infection of new keratin in these areas. It is frequently used to treat fungal infections of the nail-bed and ringworm (tinea) that has not responded to other forms of treatment.

What is it used for?

Fungal hair infections

Fungal infections of the nails (onychomycosis)

Fungal infections of the scalp

Fungal skin infections, eg athlete's foot, ringworm, candida skin infections