Fish Oil

If you are giving your dog fish oil, or taking it yourself, make sure that you take Vitamin E as well. Make sure that it is Natural Vitamin E, not synthetic. Check the ingredients on the back of the bottle, if it says "Vitamin E (d alpha tocopherol) it's Natural, if it says Vitamin E (dl alpha tocopheral) it's synthetic and no good (it's also much cheaper). The Fish Oil depletes the Vitamin E in your body. Some bottles of Fish Oil caps mention it in the fine print (that no one reads), but most don't.

I used to give Pele 3 x 1000mg fish oil caps and a 500mg Natural Vitamin E cap. I saw the Melrose Fish Oil at the HFS but it is Lemon flavoured for hoomans. I emailed Melrose to see if they did one without flavouring, but they don't. Thought I'd try it instead of pricking capsules and stabbing myself (I'm a klutz). My partner who has been taking Fish Oil caps for ages started taking the liquid recently and he swears that it's more effective. He's a bloke, so it's possibly all in the mind, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt :D

Beans is on fish oil for her allergies and the other kids are on it because it is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Beans weighs 15kg and she was getting 3000mg per day. I was using fish oil tablets which you get from a Pharmacy, 500 tablets for less than $20 - great value I thought. Then I had a hair analysis done on Beans and it showed the highest mercury levels they have ever seen in a dog. So do be careful that whatever fish oil you use has been mercury tested and that if you email the company they can actually give you proof that it has. Many will say yeah we test and then when you push nothing is forthcoming.

I am now giving the kids Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil. Its expensive $38 a bottle but I know it has been mercury tested. A bottle lasts about a month and I give 1/2 teaspoon per day.

You need to be cautious if giving cod liver oils as they contain high amounts of vitamin A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

Mega Oil - A little more expensive than fish oil caps but much more effective for allergies and coat condition IMHO. I just can't get over what a difference it has made to my GR, his coat was like straw and now it is soft to touch and still getting better. I gave him at the beginning 50 mla day and now about 30 mls and he has been on it for about 5 mts and his itching has almost stopped completely! WooHoo!

Here is what it contains

INGREDIENTS:

Flaxseed oil

Soybean seed oil

Evening Primrose oil

Borage oil (15ml GLA)

Safflower seed oil

Sunflower seed oil

Sesame seed oil

Pumpkin seed oil

Oil ratio 2:1:1 of Omega 3, 6 and 9

Suggested Use:

Children 1-15: 1ml per age up to 15ml per day

16 and over: 1 table spoon 1-2 times per day.

As someone above has posted, please exercise caution when adminstering fish oils every day.

My homoeopathic vet advised me to use flax seed oil as a daily supplement & NOT fish oils due to the danger of overdosing on Vitamin A. My kelpie who has pemphigus (akin to lupus) is the only one to have a daily supplement. The others just get sardines or mackeral twice per week.