Camara For A Beginner

Dee_al

I have always loved photography so Ive decided that for christmas I'll be getting a SLR from mum and dad. Only thing is that both mum and dad wouldnt have a clue what cam to buy and I dont really either. So does anyone have an suggestions on what would be a good one to buy?

P.s. I always pick out my bday and xmas presents so wouldnt matter if I knew what it looked like anyway.

There isn't one SLR camera more suitable for a beginner than another. As far as their operations, they are all pretty much the same. They all have auto, programmed auto (portrait, landscape, sport etc) and various semi-auto and manual functions.

The ones with the higher price tags give you a better build quality, a few more options, but in some cases, less options (the Canon 5D doesn't have an onboard flash, for example). Bigger price tag also means faster focussing (although this is very lens dependent) and faster shot to shot speeds, but if you've only ever used a compact camera, any of the SLR's, even the dog-slow ones will feel lightning fast.

You already know my recommendation.

Is the 5D a studio camera rather than suited to say sports? (like how the cheaper of the top line models was better for sports whereas the mega top was suited more for studio stuff). Sometimes you suddenly do need that small flash when you hadnt thought you needed it. Thats the advantageof having the small pop up one. Not as good as the proper big flash but does the job if needed.

I've a Canon 30D and I love it. Lots of auto settings and manual settings. A 400D would probably be a good starter camera. Lots of people on here have them afaik.

I love my canon 300D. A really good beginner camera i think - easy to understand instruction book. easy to understand controls too - at least i thought so.

I have a 5d and I must say its the best camera besides the mark 1ds I have used.

I dont mind not having an on board flash as they are crap anyways, speedlights are much better if you know how to use it.

I think you would be much better getting a 30d,it will do everything you need:)

edit, for the fact that the 5d is a studio camera as well as an outdoor camera both aspects are great, it however might not have the outdoor speed of the mark 1d's but its up there:)

Edited by Photobull

Is the 5D a studio camera rather than suited to say sports? (like how the cheaper of the top line models was better for sports whereas the mega top was suited more for studio stuff). Sometimes you suddenly do need that small flash when you hadnt thought you needed it. Thats the advantageof having the small pop up one. Not as good as the proper big flash but does the job if needed.

Okay... the spiel from my sales days...

The 400D, 450D, 300D and so on are the consumer range

The 20D, 30D, 40D and so on are the pro-sumer range

The 5D and going up to the 1DS MarkIII (*drool*) and so on are the professional range

The consumer range have plastic chassis and are a great intro to the DSLR.

The prosumer range is for serious hobbyists up to professionals. Metal chassis, a few more little features, better quality parts. Not huge differences from the consumer range but for those that know what they want to do with the images, the differences are worth it.

The professional range. Awesome quality. Unfortunately, different lens mounts from the rest of the range. It is expected that when shooting at this level you are prepared to pay for all the extras like specific lenses and top quality flash guns. Ahhh... wouldn't it be nice? :love:

We stick with prosumer. It is hardy and does what we need it to do without costing a fortune... and yes, if we are suddenly caught without a flash for some reason, we can use the pop-up :laugh:

If you have a 5D then you wouldn't waste your time with onboard flash

That was just an example of paying more and getting "less" features....so to speak. You and I both know it's definitely not less, but to someone who's never used an SLR camera, a side by side list of specs makes it look like the 5D is missing something. However, it more than makes up for it with it's awesomeness.