Smelly Staffy

Aly

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have solution here.

Aly gets a odour even a day after her bath. :scold: I wash Aly well with the Groomers products and rinse her till I'm quite sure there is no poduct left in her fur.

She doesnt have a much fur on her tummy or under arms so was wandering if that has something to do with it.

Aly is a inside dog so get worried my house might get to much of a doggy odour.

What do others do? Oh I do sometimes use a groomers scent spray on her.

Belinda

Edited by Aly

Have you had her to the vet to ask what it might be? Sometimes thyroid disorders can cause excessive body odour as well.

Bathing her so frequently isn't doing her skin any good either. It is really unusual for a Stafford to be so offensively smelly that they require so much bathing. I have a couple who are lucky to see a full bath more than 3 or 4 times per year (unless they roll in something disgusting) and at worst, they smell slightly "earthy".

I'd be taking her to the vet for a full workup to see if it is a medical issue.

Have you had her to the vet to ask what it might be? Sometimes thyroid disorders can cause excessive body odour as well.

Bathing her so frequently isn't doing her skin any good either. It is really unusual for a Stafford to be so offensively smelly that they require so much bathing. I have a couple who are lucky to see a full bath more than 3 or 4 times per year (unless they roll in something disgusting) and at worst, they smell slightly "earthy".

I'd be taking her to the vet for a full workup to see if it is a medical issue.

Shes not offensive as such, just kinda doggy. She is bathed I guess every 2 weeks,I know this may sound silly but under her front legs she gets a bit pongy :scold:

I guess it really depends on what your interpritation of smelling "doggy" is - of cause, being a dog, she is always going to have some sort of "doggy" smell. My staffy doesn't at all have a strong smell, I only wash him because he sleeps on my bed.

I agree with ellz- frequent washing isn't good for a dogs coat and could well be contributing to her "smelliness".

Hi- could be a yeast/bacterial infection- or simply coming from dirty feet!

Check with your vet

yep :scold: as the pads are the only skin which sweats- this is where the smells can come from. In between toes, where it's nice and moist- a dog cleans its feet- introduces some organisms, which thrive- are then transferred by licking ,to other body parts---

You can try washing her feet only- in a pure mild soap.. rinse well, and towel dry.

Do it at night... this will often cut back on just the general 'doggy smell' ;)

Edited by persephone

Hi- could be a yeast/bacterial infection- or simply coming from dirty feet!

Check with your vet

yep :scold: as the pads are the only skin which sweats- this is where the smells can come from. In between toes, where it's nice and moist- a dog cleans its feet- introduces some organisms, which thrive- are then transferred by licking ,to other body parts---

You can try washing her feet only- in a pure mild soap.. rinse well, and towel dry.

Do it at night... this will often cut back on just the general 'doggy smell' ;)

Thanks for the replys. Will try the feet washing.

The comment about the thyroid she has been tested for that a while back but that came back A OK.

Belinda