Are Feeding Pigs Ears Safe?

I give my dogs a pigs ear every other day for a treat, & they absolutely love them. However I'm a little concerned about how sharp the & pointy the edges are on some of them, & was just wondering if they are completely safe to feed.

I always supervise them when they are eating them,& so far have had no problems, but was just wondering if any one has ever had issues with them.

Thanks In advance :rofl:

Nicole

I don't feed piggy ears to my small/medium sized dogs unless I am there to watch them as I have known dogs to almost choke on the last little bit however I have had no problems giving piggy ears to my Dobe boy who really loves them.

I think what you have to also keep in mind is that they have a big fat content and also the chemicals used in their drying process and therefore not overfeed them.

Other than that most of my dogs love them except for one of my girls who just wants to carry it around continually looking for a suitable place (in the loungeroom) to 'bury' it!!! :rofl:

I have one dog who chews them down very quickly. The other one does the burying thing and one night she was so distraught at the possibility of the boy finding it that she actually gave it back to me!

Never had a problem with them but wouldn't feed the little stick rawhide chews due to them not being digested properly.

I have one dog who chews them down very quickly. The other one does the burying thing and one night she was so distraught at the possibility of the boy finding it that she actually gave it back to me!

Never had a problem with them but wouldn't feed the little stick rawhide chews due to them not being digested properly.

I don't use them personally, I've had them caught in a dogs jaw several times. I don't like anything to do with Pigs because of what I know goes into the production of pork. :confused:

Also, think not twice, but three or four times, before giving dogs any rawhide product not made in Australia. Do you know what they use to bleach the hide out??? Do you know what a proper "raw" hide looks like---not white and bleached by chemicals. We ask why our dogs are sick????????????????? :champagne:

Surely a fresh bone with some real meat on it would be preferable to 'imported' chew sticks and even 'pigs ears'.

I don't feed them as they are to fatty and my bopy pug would get sick after he had eaten one.

gave one to my puppy a couple of weeks ago - recommended as she is teething...

she had 'sloppy' poo for just over a week - that only stopped after a visit to the vet and some medicine.

too much fat, too rich for her.

gone back to chicken necks - (which, thanks to luke's advice) - i give to her frozen...

dont want to hijack the thread - and will start another one if people want - but has anyone tried those kong 'ziggys'? They seems safe to me and good for her teething?