Orijien Food

Both of my guys are loving it - just went and bought a 13.5kg bag today so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts with 2 x 40+kg dogs whether it works out more cost effective than the EP....

Oh, it would be great if you could report back on that Russ. I'm on Eagle Pack at the mo but want to switch back to Orijen.

PS I don't want to play favourites or anything, but I think I love your signature best of all poocow. If I could have two more dogs I'd have a BC and a golden cocker for sure. But what's Top's OCD licking — well, I guess it's self-explanatory, but I've never heard of it before. Does he just lick everything in sight?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toppy will go onto Orijen once we run out of EP. The only thing I'm worried about is the protein content. Top has an OCD licking problem and I've been reading up on it - treatments include medication, more than 20mins exercise (he gets 1hr+ run daily) and switching to a low protein food. The thing is he isn't hypo or bouncing off the walls on EP so would the change to orijen really affect him that much.

I'm going to try and book him into a vet behaviouralist but can't afford SABS $600 fee :whip: at the moment. The resident vet behaviouralist at my work is away at the moment too, dammit!

Edit for spelling

In the meantime you might like to check out the Whole Dog Journal and see if they have anything interesting on it.

Here are my search results for obsessive compulsive articles you can buy them separately and if you click on them you can read the intro paragraphs.

I have a copy of chill pills somewhere if you want it.

If Whole Dog Journal recommends to keep him on a higher carb diet then it might be worth keeping him on EP.

Mel.

Both of my guys are loving it - just went and bought a 13.5kg bag today so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts with 2 x 40+kg dogs whether it works out more cost effective than the EP....

Oh, it would be great if you could report back on that Russ. I'm on Eagle Pack at the mo but want to switch back to Orijen.

PS I don't want to play favourites or anything, but I think I love your signature best of all poocow. If I could have two more dogs I'd have a BC and a golden cocker for sure. But what's Top's OCD licking — well, I guess it's self-explanatory, but I've never heard of it before. Does he just lick everything in sight?

ILTBY made it for me :rofl:

My heart breed is cockers and Top is a rescue BC from my time at a pound lol.

He just licks himself all the time - mostly his paws and legs. He even gnaws on his left leg so much that its either got a blood stain or a saliva stain (light red in colour). He will lick his bed, the lounge, floor etc too. Its like a comfort thing to him, mostly happens at night and if he gets himself wet/dirty he has to lick himself clean (much like a cat).

Toppy will go onto Orijen once we run out of EP. The only thing I'm worried about is the protein content. Top has an OCD licking problem and I've been reading up on it - treatments include medication, more than 20mins exercise (he gets 1hr+ run daily) and switching to a low protein food. The thing is he isn't hypo or bouncing off the walls on EP so would the change to orijen really affect him that much.

I'm going to try and book him into a vet behaviouralist but can't afford SABS $600 fee :rofl: at the moment. The resident vet behaviouralist at my work is away at the moment too, dammit!

Edit for spelling

In the meantime you might like to check out the Whole Dog Journal and see if they have anything interesting on it.

Here are my search results for obsessive compulsive articles you can buy them separately and if you click on them you can read the intro paragraphs.

I have a copy of chill pills somewhere if you want it.

If Whole Dog Journal recommends to keep him on a higher carb diet then it might be worth keeping him on EP.

Mel.

Yeah I'm currently reading 'The dog who loved too much' by the vet behaviouralist Dr Nicholas Dodman. They recommend:

1. Diet suitable to dogs level of activity - Toppy gets 1hr+ run at the dog park daily so not sure if Orijen or even EP is too much for him

2. 20-30mins exercise daily

3. Diverse and interesting environment - Top isn't fussed with toys

4. Medication such as prozac

My three have been eating Orijen for a couple of days now and seem to love it!! And the best bit is no ill side effects from swapping them over. And for an AMstaff with a smelly butt that is a big deal!! :rofl:

Think we will be ordering some bigger bags soon Julie!!

Edited by valby

My three have been eating Orijen for a couple of days now and seem to love it!! And the best bit is no ill side effects from swapping them over. And for an AMstaff with a smelly butt that is a big deal!! :cheers:

Great to hear it went down well :rofl:

So are you getting out of bed early for training tomorrow :p

My three have been eating Orijen for a couple of days now and seem to love it!! And the best bit is no ill side effects from swapping them over. And for an AMstaff with a smelly butt that is a big deal!! :cheer:

Great to hear it went down well :rofl:

So are you getting out of bed early for training tomorrow :cheers:

Hmm peeks outside at cold windy day...erm....

Actually I am looking into a local school. If I don't hear back from the trainer or the classes don't sound right I will be up at Dapto, but the thought of driving the extra day right now is killing me :p

:rofl: Do you do obedience at Dapto 4 paws/valby? I was thinking of switching to there now we've moved to port kembla my wollongong obedience membership expired so it would be a good time to switch. Someone mentioned there was a few schnauzers who did obedience down that way. Is there a special new members day or do you just rock up?

:rofl: Do you do obedience at Dapto 4 paws/valby? I was thinking of switching to there now we've moved to port kembla my wollongong obedience membership expired so it would be a good time to switch. Someone mentioned there was a few schnauzers who did obedience down that way. Is there a special new members day or do you just rock up?

yep,the one at Dapto,trying to get Valby out of bed early enough to join me there.CBL stated last week too

You can come any time,around 8.30am,just need current vac cert.First 2 lessons are free than $3 week.Membership is cheaper than at the JJ Kelly park one as well as you don't get a lead an collar

let me know if you'll be coming.Not as big as the other one but very friendly

Sounds great...Unless the weather is totally insane, count me in :rofl: I already have a collar for Maz so the reduced membership fee is rather enticing :eek: You will get to meet my little man 4 paws!

Come down! We started with Patch last week and I think Oscar is going to have a go this week too (provided the weather is OK)

sooks :laugh:

There's hardly anyone there when its cold,much better for training

We won't be able to make it this morning. Have to take the little foxy that is in the garage to the vets to scan for a chip.

sooks :laugh:

We won't be able to make it this morning. Have to take the little foxy that is in the garage to the vets to scan for a chip.

now why didn't I think of that excuse:laugh: It's not my patch blown down your way is it?

I'm trying to think of something as to why we can't go,so tired this morning

Nothing to do with Orijen, but we used to live at West Dapto! Small world, isn't it?

On Orijen, had a wonderful story yesterday from a customer with a very old cat who had all but stopped eating and they had been thinking might be heading from a hard decision. They offered some Orijen, which to their amazement was gobbled up like there was no tomorrow. After a week or so, the cat is still eating, starting to gain a little weight, and has delighted their vet.

Love it!

Sags

sooks :angel:

now why didn't I think of that excuse:laugh: It's not my patch blown down your way is it?

I'm trying to think of something as to why we can't go,so tired this morning

:laugh: could well have been. Did you get a call this morning from Dapto vets? :cry: