Orijien Food

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

This food sounds great! My Charlie was first on Nutro, and now he's switched over to Nutrience - i'm not too happy with it. Orijien sounds like the perfect food.

Where is the best place to get them in Sydney? I would prefer pick-up than the delivery. Feel free to contact me if you have any information :D

Thanks in advance,

Mak

Bought some today - he only had the 7kg bags though so will have to go get some more during the week....

Bag says 2-3 cups (for non active 30-50kg dog) - I was feeding 6 cups of the EP holistic????? Does that sound right?

Edited by Russ_Ren

Sounds like Orijen is a great dry food. I'd like to try it out myself.

Does anybody know if there is a supplier in Adelaide?

Hi Tosca,

I emailed Orijen last week to find a supplier in SA They forwarded my email to the Australian distributor who promptly got in touch with me. Unfortunately there is no one in SA stocking it at the moment. However he has been really good to deal with and I am able to place an order direct with him. So I would suggest doing the same. Also if a few of us do it they may look to getting it into SA sooner.

Hey Mak - try the All_Natural Vet in Russell Lea/ Drummoyne - I am pretty sure they have it. I order mine from PEtdeli online www.petdeli.com.au who will deliver to you. I am in Camperdown.

Sounds like Orijen is a great dry food. I'd like to try it out myself.

Does anybody know if there is a supplier in Adelaide?

Hi Tosca,

I emailed Orijen last week to find a supplier in SA They forwarded my email to the Australian distributor who promptly got in touch with me. Unfortunately there is no one in SA stocking it at the moment. However he has been really good to deal with and I am able to place an order direct with him. So I would suggest doing the same. Also if a few of us do it they may look to getting it into SA sooner.

Thanks piper will do. Hope we will be getting it soon in SA.

I would very much doubt that you could go from 6 cups a day to 2 - 3 cups a day.

I tried Orijien on one of my dogs that has issues ( thought it could have been dietry) and it made no difference at all.

In actual fact after eating it with gusto for a day or so, she then turned her nose up at it.

So much with dog food these days is advertising hype and people all go for it. I am not saying that Orijien is not a good food, but quite frankly, it is way out of the price range of people that have multiple dogs.

I feed Pro Plan and have done for many many years, my dogs all look amazing, and live to great old ages. I think the important thing is to feed what works for your dog, and not just change because something is new, and short term others rave over it

Not that many months ago, EP seemed to be the flavour of the month, now that orijien is here, it seems to be the new food to feed

As I say about lots of things, it it isnt broken , why try and fix it.

Some people believe that BARF diets are the way to go, some thing commercial foods are best, and some a combination of both. Dont just feed what your dog enjoys the most, because that doesnt mean it is the best thing to feed. I love McDonalds, but it isnt the best for me.

I wonder how long it will be before some other Wonder Food arrives on the market and somebody will come on here saying how great it is and others will all start changing to it.

Long term results are the important thing, and by long term , I means years and years.

I will stick with Pro Plan as I have had dogs fed on it all their life from weaning age ( I feed Pro Plan only and no other additives what so ever) and my dogs live to very old age compared to friends that swap and change diets as different fads emerge.

Ian

www.saluki.com.au

( flame suit on for the replies)

Bought some today - he only had the 7kg bags though so will have to go get some more during the week....

Bag says 2-3 cups (for non active 30-50kg dog) - I was feeding 6 cups of the EP holistic????? Does that sound right?

Hi Ian,

I was very interested to read your reply, I too fed Proplan and have been very happy with how my two dogs have been doing on it. But i had one issue with it .. they wouldn't eat just the proplan dry i had to add something else to temp them to finish it, especially my very old boy. I changed to Orijien mainly because of what i read on this site, i haven't found a supplier in the ACT so ordered from Pookinuk .. fast service and postage was only $5 .. initially i wasn't that impressed but because i had the big bag decided to keep going so as to finish it. Amazingly my dogs now eat dry only and have chicken wings for breakfast, they eat all of the dry and now look great. My old boy really does seems to be feeling great.

So whilst i agree stick to what you find is best.. i think sometimes a change can be for the better ... :D

regards .. Lynda

Hi Ian,

While I agree that some people do like to try whatever is the newest thing, more and more I'm seeing people who genuinely want to provide a better quality of life for their pets. Whether that is by offering massage, swimming, interactive toys, or a better diet, there is a move amongst a lot of pet owners (in particular) to do the best they believe they can.

So much with dog food these days is advertising hype and people all go for it. I am not saying that Orijien is not a good food, but quite frankly, it is way out of the price range of people that have multiple dogs.

I agree that advertising hype is responsible for many food choices. Same with human food. Some brands are a bit hard to get away from - either on TV, or in the dog world, saturation via show sponsorship, kennel sponsorship, puppy packs, and so on. Orijen does none of that. Certainly in Australia, there is no advertising budget to speak of (so I've been told), no plans to cater to breeders, no show sponsorship or puppy packs. What does advertise it is word of mouth, and I've never seen such a positive response to a product in that way as Orijen is currently creating.

As far as cost goes, yes, multiple dogs in a family or kennel environment do have to be factored in. That is where a lot of brands do well by great sponsorship deals (and we've recieved these in the past) and deals such as 2 for 1 that we see so much of.

Speaking from personal experience, I was interested to compare the volume I have fed of the following brands to a fairly active, 70kg St Bernard. Orijen (375grams), Nutro (400grams), Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Pro Pac, Nutrience (all 420-450grams), Eagle Pack Holistic, Pro Plan (500grams). This is to keep proper condition on and satiate hunger. I initially fed 400grams of Orijen, but both girls were more than satisfied (probably due to higher protein content) and I found one was gaining a bit of weight.

Cost a day to feed one Saint based upon this and upon cost per bag (perhaps shopping around some prices may be a bit better) are along these lines:

Nutro - $2.45 ($91.95 for 15kg)

Euk - $2.77 ($96.96 for 15kg)

Pro Pac - $2.77 ($91.95 for 15kg)

RC - $2.85

Nutrience - $2.85

Orijen - $3.05 per day ($109.95 for 13.5kg)

Pro Plan - $3.30 ($112 for 17kg)

Eagle Pack - $4.15 ($124 for 15kg)

This is my experience only, so feel free to ignore it. :clap: As with any food, every dog is different and results will vary a lot. I truly believe if your dog is happy and well on one food, then stay with it. But, there is also no harm in seeing if a different nutritional make up will suit even better. Over the years we've tried more or less everything on the local market and some were disappointing, so it really comes down to the individual.

Nice topic!

Sags

Edited by Sagittarian