Parents Dog

My parents just adopted a dog - GSD X heeler/kelpie. He is a nice dog but I met him for the first time and his behaviour worries me.

I did a temperment test with him yesterday and this is what came out of it

When he gets excited he starts to nip - nips hard enough to leave bruises. He grabs clothes and tugs. Barks and carries on and wont stop. If you try to phsyically restrain him, he becomes more aggressive (the behaviour is not by its nature aggressive but because it has been left unchecked - and he is 11 years old - it is uncontrolled and thus what I would call an aggressive behaviour). If you turn your back, he jumps up and tries to get your attention. eventually he walks away.

I instructed my parents that they need to do this and they need to get him used to people touching his tail because they will have their grandchildren coming over (my neice and nephew) and they are very young and kids will be kids.

Naturally they will not have the dog and kids alone but one slip up and there could be a lot of damage.

Has anyone got any ideas for retraining this behaviour aside from standing up and turning away?

They have about 5 months before they come to stay with them for a month (school holidays)

Does he have any obedience training?? Do you know any past history?? He may have jumped and nipped to get attention previously and has never known any other way to get attention. What do you mean by physically restrain - hand on collar or a leash?? Poss go back to basic obed and high rewards for calm behaviour, lots of pos praise and body pats. What sort of activity was happening when he started to get nippy? Was it play? If play teach him that if he nips play stops until he calms, this can be through a "uh-uh" or "no" and no play or interaction until he calms himself down ie sit or drop, then start play again. Does he have any experience with children?? Suggest if you can you try and teach the kids appropriate behaviour with dogs (if they are at a suitable age that is) if they are not used to dogs. Would suggest you get your parents to get dog being used to being touched all over not just tail (kids usually have no respect!!!lol) making sure that they remain calm, dog is calm and rewarded for being calm and relaxed. Might be an idea to keep dog on leash during first interactions with children if you are at all worried. That's my first thoughts anyway - it sounds like he's never been taught good manners or he may be hyper from being in a new environment!

Does he have any obedience training?? Do you know any past history?? He may have jumped and nipped to get attention previously and has never known any other way to get attention. What do you mean by physically restrain - hand on collar or a leash?? Poss go back to basic obed and high rewards for calm behaviour, lots of pos praise and body pats. What sort of activity was happening when he started to get nippy? Was it play? If play teach him that if he nips play stops until he calms, this can be through a "uh-uh" or "no" and no play or interaction until he calms himself down ie sit or drop, then start play again. Does he have any experience with children?? Suggest if you can you try and teach the kids appropriate behaviour with dogs (if they are at a suitable age that is) if they are not used to dogs. Would suggest you get your parents to get dog being used to being touched all over not just tail (kids usually have no respect!!!lol) making sure that they remain calm, dog is calm and rewarded for being calm and relaxed. Might be an idea to keep dog on leash during first interactions with children if you are at all worried. That's my first thoughts anyway - it sounds like he's never been taught good manners or he may be hyper from being in a new environment!

He has little training. His previous owner coddled him and I'm afraid my mother is doing the same thing. No manners. My dogs put him firmly in his place and it was in fact one of my dogs that saved me from him by jumping up between us and growling at him. He backed off quicksmart. I would imagine he understands some dog body language but not enough human body language or he has been taught some strange things.

He is too big and strong for me to go through an extinction burst with him because it is physically too painful

His past history is what his owner says it is, I am more suspicious, I am always more suspicious.

Physically restrain means pushing him away from me (slowy, firmly) and holding him at arms length so he couldn't bite my face

I roughed him up, tugged on his tail. I was LOOKING for a reaction - I wanted to see what he is made of. Apparently he does the same to my father and my father eggs him on. Needless to say he has promised to stop egging the dog on. I yelped and stopped interacting with him - so he bit me harded. This dog doesn't play by the rules :eek:

Possably k9 forces TOT program and NILIF program?? i would also have a tug toy that the owners have and when ever the dog is being quiet intice a tug game.

tell the people about the NILIF program as being so much fun for the dog to get them interested.

Temperament tests are a worry to me!!!I have seen many so called temperament tests that are not worth two bob!!!!

The way this dog is behaving is nothing out of the ordinary and not surprising.I do not see this dog as a major problem.One would expect him to have the tendency to nip as he is half heeler.Tugging clothes is also part of the heeler heritage.

First thing I would as k is what leadership is being given to this dog and secondly what outlet for drive is this dog being given?Of course he gets restless when physically restrained as many dogs will interpretate it as threatening behaviour. Tony