Excited About Clicker Training!

I've just finished reading "Getting started: clicker training for dogs" and I really think that's the best way to teach my Daisy. My question is, what would be the best high-value yet quick treat for her? She's 12 weeks now and quite smart. She's picked up Sit and is learning Down.

Any advice for beginners?

Cooked frankfurt cut up into appropriate sizes is the biggest fave here.

Soft, quick to eat and smells to high heaven. Also Cheese, Cabana, Liver in the oven ect ect

I have recently 'dusted off' my clicker, and very pleased with the results.

Happy training :cool:

I always used Clover's 'regular meals' at that age instead of anything special. :) She was keen to work for it as she didn't get fed unless she worked. :cool:

I have used diced beef, 'smoked ham' and sausages as training treats, though.

At 12 weeks she still has a "baby" tummy and I don't think I'd be introducing frankfurts just yet, just in case - can upset tummies. Her regular dinner or dry food or cooked chicken is usually pretty high value for most dogs and easily tolerated by pups. Be careful when introducing new foods as they can have quite an effect on their digestive system!! Just make sure she doesn't end up with treats and her normal size dinner or she'll put on too much weight!

I was going to add one very important point outside of the food issue.

Find yourself a training buddy who will help support you and tell you when you are dong things a little wrong.

I use a verbal bridge and a clicker. I always use clickers for real precision or speed. I also found them invaluable when I was working through a noise phobia with my dog. I was initially looking for non fear behaviors that were lasting for very small periods of time..

I sometimes tease people who slag clickers by suggesting that it is alright for them , their dogs are too slow!

I would have found it very difficult to teach my dog her flip finish without one.

The arguments behind "free shaping" aren't that solid, I don't hang around letting my dog guess for too long about what I want.

But having said that, small amounts of free shaping can lead to some interesting solutions to problems.

The food issue varies from dog to dog. My dog is a adult poodle. She gets any of the folowing as a reward :- Dried lamb, smoked chicken, cheese very seldom, ham, mince meat, an end of something on special at the butcher. I look for treats that are palatable and "fast" eating. I also use toys a lot. One thing to watch is that if your dog is a slow eater, pushing them on to the next behaviour can be punihsing for them. This is one reason why I suggest getting a training buddy.