Not Drinking Water

wire

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice.

My little SCWT boy is just the most beautiful pup of 4.5 months. The problem is that he just doesn't seem to like drinking water of late. :love: OK, Adelaide water....who can blame him but....it is not so funny when over numerous days he barely takes a sip. He loves ice cubes and adores puppy milk, (although I know this has no benifical factors to him) it is at least liquid.

DH thinks it is his s/steel bowl which I disagree with. His favourite food is chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken, cooked or raw so was thinking of putting some chicken juice in his water......hmm.....yummmy!

What do you guys think? Is there some way (or thing to add) to get him to drink more water?

I'd try a different vessel.

My dog was not drinking water recently. I'd get him to drink out of my hands. Then he would start drinking out of different bowls/containers, but still wouldn't drink out of his bowl.

I changed his water bowl and started putting dry food in it. Saw him eating the food one day - his id tags from his collar were banging on the side of the bowl frightening him. Mystery solved.

Might not be the problem with your dog but trying a different vessel is a good start.

Edited by Jey

I'd try a different vessel.

My dog was not drinking water recently. I'd get him to drink out of my hands. Then he would start drinking out of different bowls/containers, but still wouldn't drink out of his bowl.

I changed his water bowl and started putting dry food in it. Saw him eating the food one day - his id tags from his collar were banging on the side of the bowl frightening him. Mystery solved.

Might not be the problem with your dog but trying a different vessel is a good start.

Ya know Jey, you may very well have the answer to this and bugger me, even DH may be right!!!! (don't you hate that? :love: )

Wouldn't you know it? After I posted this question he has had several drinks :love:

I will take your advice Jed, he is getting a new water vessel and he likes the cheep stuff best!

You might try using a ceramic or glass bowl - one of ours is very, very picky about what she drinks out of. No plastic, no metal; so she's drinking out of a ceramic bowl thing we got from a plant nursery.

"If it's a difference btw the dog drinking water and not drinking water, and it's the only occasion you pander to the dog, I really don't think it matters."

Actually yes it does ,a genuine reason (there is one medical condition that can be an issue & it isnt nice) & having a better alternative can mean a life long created problem.

Pandering to the dog does matter .

I agree with Jey.

Goodness, this little fella is such a well behaved pup in every way and a little help from me if something spooks him or is uncomfortable is not IMO spoiling him or jumping to his every wish. Yes, he is a dog but a very happy one!