What To Feed A Lab Puppy?

kristin_e102

Hi,

I pick up little Tayza today and am starting to get the jitters!! Am quite confident I have all bases covered in regards to play and sleep but am wondering what is the best thing to feed a Labrador pup? I picked up some 'Science Diet' puppy biscuits for large breeds and got some 'Pedigree Puppy' food - is this ok? I have read that Labs can have tummy trouble because they are food hogs so would it be best to make my own food, and put a bit of yoghurt in it?

Please help!

Cheers,

A very excited/nervous Mummy Kristin

Hi- what a big day!

When you collect your pup- ASK THE BREEDER what they have been feeding.

I think most decent breeders will tell you, and have a leaflet etc with info for you.

Keep her on the food she has been having - to avoid sudden change and tummy upsets.

After a time, if you want, you can GRADUALLY change over to your preferred way of feeding...

best of luck for today :clap:

Congratulations on your new bundle of fluff - how exciting!

I agree with Persephone, keep feeding what the breeder has been feeding to avoid an upset tummy and the runs, it will also help her transition into her new home if she is eating what she is used to. Sometimes breeders will give you a small amount of food that the pups are currently on to tide you over till you can get some yourself - this is usually in the puppy pack along with a care sheet, pedigree papers and any other tid bits like a collar etc.

Personally I wouldn't feed canned pedigree puppy food, it is mostly made up of water and is pretty good at upsetting tummies. By all means add plain youghurt to the diet, the non-flavoured type :clap: My pup is getting Eukanuba Lare Breed Puppy, two Vit C tablets, a fish oil tablet, a dribble of olive oil and yoghurt twice a day. His lunch meal is made up of lamb offcuts from Woolies or canned fish.

Goodluck with your new pup, and don't forget to post pictures :shhh:

Your breeder if a good one will give you a diet sheet.If there on email ask for a copy before pick up.

All our puppy buyers get there diet sheets 2 weeks before pup is due to go .

Science diet isnt one i would ever recommend.

Contact your breeder as they may feed partial raw etc etc

I did a huge amount of research on foods when I got wee Martha. I now feed her Orijen puppy food.

Pedigree sources its protein from corn. This is doggie junk food, and not recommended. I found the website Dog Food Analysis really helpful. The best thing I learned was that you should read all the ingredients of your dog food up to the first fat. These are your main ingredients. These should be NAMED meat (e.g. "beef" rather than "meat") and named meat meals, and some vegetables.

Orijen has 42% protein, which is somewhat controversial. Some people believe this to be excessive protein for a larger breed because the pup will grow too fast and consequently be at risk of developing hip dysplasia or other joint problems. It is a point you can find argued about all over the interwebs! I read a lot and came down on the side of thinking that the quality of the protein is more important than the amount. There are some excellent threads about protein on this board. This one particularly helped.

I'm not a huge advocate of high protein diets. Martha doesn't have a hip certificate and I am terrified of her getting Labrador Hips. And Orijen is expensive — I pay $25 for 2.5 kilos I think. But after doing the research it just made sense to me to feed her a good quality meat-based kibble.

Ultimately, it's a personal decision. Other people will have different ideas. My best advice is that you can't do too much research.

I'm considering Orijen kibble for breakfast and raw food for dinner when she gets older.

Oh, and one more thing. Martha was on Pedigree at the breeders. I don't know if it's a lab thing or if she's just particularly iron-stomached but I changed over really quickly. Within days. She absolutely loves Orijen and has never looked back.

Hello!

This is my first post so be gentle!

My little 12 week old baby girl Charlie eats Tuckertime Chicken Roll and Eukanuba large breed puppy biscuits.

Should I be thinking of adding anything to her diet?

I've noticed people mention oils etc.

Thanks!

Edited by CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown, it might be a better idea to start a thread of your own rather than tack onto someone elses thread. Your little guy deserves his own limelight, and you'll get more response to your questions.

Hi botheration.

I'm not a huge advocate of high protein diets. Martha doesn't have a hip certificate and I am terrified of her getting Labrador Hips. And Orijen is expensive — I pay $25 for 2.5 kilos I think. But after doing the research it just made sense to me to feed her a good quality meat-based kibble.

Just a couple of quick things. Martha is too young to have had any "hip certificate" - do you mean her parents weren't scored? If you feed her a highly nutritious food but restrict her calories during the formative months, then you will go a long way toward giving her joints their best chance. HD and OCD both have hereditary values, so if she is predisposed then you can only do so much to reduce the expression of the disease. But the key is to keep them lean, not over exercise, and feed well.

The high protein (and I do understand it is controversial) is not something that concerns me (as a long time breeder of giant dogs). Once upon a time I would have thrown my hands up in horror :thumbsup: but education is a wonderful thing. :thumbsup:

Suggest that now Martha is settled on Orijen that you look at purchasing the bigger bags - 13.5kg for $110.00 is much better value per day to feed.

BTW, for the OP, I know a number of people happily raising large and giant breed pups on Orijen so it certainly is worth considering when you settle your new baby in - as is a raw diet or a true super premium dry. Have fun and lots of photos required!

Sags

Edited by Sagittarian

Hi botheration.

Just a couple of quick things. Martha is too young to have had any "hip certificate" - do you mean her parents weren't scored? If you feed her a highly nutritious food but restrict her calories during the formative months, then you will go a long way toward giving her joints their best chance. HD and OCD both have hereditary values, so if she is predisposed then you can only do so much to reduce the expression of the disease. But the key is to keep them lean, not over exercise, and feed well.

Hi Sags,

Yes, I do mean her parents don't have hip scores — sorry, don't really know the lingo — but your advice is brilliant and tallies with what I've been reading. I actually went to get more Orijen yesterday and they'd run out — I had to get Eagle Park instead. I am not sold on it particularly and it'll be back to Orijen after this bag is finished.

I am trying to do what you say — feed her well but keep her lean. But how lean is lean? The bag the kibble comes in gives a range and I feed at the lower end of the range. I try to maintain her at a weight where I can't see her ribs but I can feel them under her skin. I also stand over her and check that her stomach comes in a little toward her hips. But she's still a puppy and looks rotund rather than having a pronounced waist. Does that sound ok?

Also, as for exercise, I let her exercise as much as she wants to. If she's really going off her nut I run up and down the hallway with her a couple of times, but otherwise I let her find her own limit. What I worry about more though is jumping. We have raised garden beds where I want her to poo, and there is a small step up to it, but she prefers to launch herself from the side and jump on the concrete. She also jumps off the couch. I've read that too much jumping in puppyhood is not good for the joints either. Would you agree?

Sorry to take over your thread Kristen! But all this stuff is relevant to Tayza too. Look forward to seeing some photos too!

Sounds as though you're on the right track with weight. It isn't about her actual weight, but about just having a thin layer over her ribs. Of course, the trick with puppies is to feed them enough when they go through rapid stages, without overdoing it when they slow down again!

I'm a big believer in letting puppies be puppies... within reason. Ours have all handled a few steps without any issues, and yes, sometimes they want to jump straight onto things. Try to show her the right way to do things by constantly reminding her - but don't stress!

Sags

Martha is so cute! I havent figured out how to post photos yet - any advice on how i do that??

Staying on the thread topic, I ended up feeding him puppy milk/or porridge for brekky, a bone for lunch and raw puppy mince with mixed vegies for dinner. Does this sound ok?

He is pretty good as far as puppies go and is already sleeping through most of the night - i wake him up once or twice to go to the toilet...

He has turned into a bit of a terrorist overnight in regards to chewing shoes, clothes, bras etc but its my own fault for leaving them out! One issue - I left him in the laundry today for the first time while I went to work and he some-how got the door open and had a lovely time in my partners parents house (which im housesitting!). Not too much damage was created tho... He will only be in there today and tomorrow as we are going back home tomorrow night where he will be in the backyard all day..

Thanks for the great advice guys!

Kristin

Kristen, there's two ways to post photos — via the web (if you've got your photos stored online) or as an attachment. If your photos are on your computer, attach them via the little box below the box in which you compose your posts. It says "Select a file" on the left. Click on "browse", locate your photo and attach it!

Because we want to see the little devil!

Here's some more of Martha given that you were so kind as to complement her. I could certainly look at her all day.

post-25114-1217312826_thumb.jpg

post-25114-1217312848_thumb.jpg

Staying on the thread topic, I ended up feeding him puppy milk/or porridge for brekky, a bone for lunch and raw puppy mince with mixed vegies for dinner. Does this sound ok?

Is this what the breeder recommended?

No the breeder had him on Science Diet for Puppies and a bit of the woolworths select puppy food but I think that is rubbish so I just made up my own feed... He seems ok he poos normally and he likes it (but he is a lab, he likes anything). I just hope its meeting his nutrition requirements, he is growing so fast so I hope Im giving him enough food - how much dinner is enough?

And I have been trying to upload a pic but it says the file is too large - how do i make it smaller?

Kristin

I've never fed puppy milk as part of the normal diet, I don't think it has anything in it that I can't give through raw food or good quality dry - when Daisy was a baby puppy, I would feed her some raw mince meat (chicken or beef) mixed with some dried food (we feed Royal Canin). I was always told puppy milk is a waste of money (ok for a treat but not as normal diet - have no idea if this is correct or not, happy to be proven wrong!) :confused:

ETA: We fed three times a day and would also give her some chicken necks or a chicken wing cut in half.

Edited by huski

Get some super premium quality puppy kibble such as Eagle Pack, Nutrience, Pro Plan etc, and feed that twice a day. Your little puppy will grow fast and she needs the very best nutrition possible. Add in some chicken pieces as Huski suggests and the occasional meal of mince and veges and you'll have a nice diet for a puppy. But the quality kibble will cover all bases until you do some research on making up your own diet.

When we got our lab, we fed him on advance, that was what the breeder was feeding him on. Also was giving him some rice, vegies sometimes during the week. Now that he is almost 12 months we have changed his diet over with different foods... he is taking that well.

Some advice is to mix some of the food with yoghurt, that is really good for them and it slows down the eating a little :) and a good source of calcium!!

Anyway thats just my 2 cents worth...

Whatever you do, be careful with giving them left overs... my husband gave our dog some chunky soup and he wasn't well at all!!

No the breeder had him on Science Diet for Puppies and a bit of the woolworths select puppy food but I think that is rubbish so I just made up my own feed... He seems ok he poos normally and he likes it (but he is a lab, he likes anything). I just hope its meeting his nutrition requirements, he is growing so fast so I hope Im giving him enough food - how much dinner is enough?

And I have been trying to upload a pic but it says the file is too large - how do i make it smaller?

Kristin

Hmmmm I think the diet suggested by the breeder is more balanced than what you decided to feed.

I've never fed puppy milk as part of the normal diet, I don't think it has anything in it that I can't give through raw food or good quality dry - when Daisy was a baby puppy, I would feed her some raw mince meat (chicken or beef) mixed with some dried food (we feed Royal Canin). I was always told puppy milk is a waste of money (ok for a treat but not as normal diet - have no idea if this is correct or not, happy to be proven wrong!) :whip:

ETA: We fed three times a day and would also give her some chicken necks or a chicken wing cut in half.

Totally agree with you huski, puppy milk isn't very nutritous. I only would use it as a treat, if ever.

Get some super premium quality puppy kibble such as Eagle Pack, Nutrience, Pro Plan etc, and feed that twice a day. Your little puppy will grow fast and she needs the very best nutrition possible. Add in some chicken pieces as Huski suggests and the occasional meal of mince and veges and you'll have a nice diet for a puppy. But the quality kibble will cover all bases until you do some research on making up your own diet.

This is an excellent advice. Untill you learn more about making up your own diet it's better to stick to some super premium quality foods.