Why Oh Why

OK official rant thread here .... I have tried my best to remain calm ... still trying ... breathe breathe ...

I helped at puppy preschool the other week and two clients had brother/sister shih tzu x puppies. One had a funny mark on its tummy, so after the class I put the pups under a woods lamp ... lovely patching of flourescent green hair follicles - both puppies had ring worm and one had started to get flaky skin.

Yep we're getting them vaccinated tomorrow, they say, we'll ask the vet.

Saw the lady the day before - oh the vet says its not ringworm, its just a little rash

did she put it under a lamp or do a skin scrape ... I ask, hoping said vet has at least one brain cell ...

no. she said to take the pup home and see if it went away :clap: this woman has a couple of kids too. Guess who the puppy sleeps with *sigh*

... there's your sign.

nasty aural haematoma in a bulldog combined with a pretty mucky ear infection - vet does an AWAKE drain job with a large needle and elbow grease, gives the dog some ear meds and packs it off home. Owner loving the efficiency and price ...

... there's your sign.

boxer been on pred and ear meds for 5 years, vet doesnt EVER ask owner to change from cans of PAL and pal dry food. Switched to premium sensitive formula dog looks so much happier and isnt trying to tear its skin off...

... there's your sign

then there is the corker ...

small breed dog bitten everyone in the family, constantly fighting with the other dog (even as far as losing an eye) and vet gives it 3 monthly doggy prozac shots (??) with no behaviour modification techniques. Apparently he'll just be right at 6 years of age ...

:shhh::laugh:

has the world gone mad or do I just see problems where there are none ... I feel sorry for the animals

Not all ringworm glow. Dry flaky skin can glow, so unless you do a fungassay, you don't know for sure.

Draining an aural haematoma while the dog is awake isn't that big a deal, IMO. Some owners can't afford full blown surgery, and in minor cases, simply draining it can fix it. Why put a dog under anaesthetic if it can be dealt with by a needle?

Not trying to argue, I have no doubt there are some dodgy vets out there, but I just get really tired of the 'slag the vets' threads.

Draining an aural haematoma while the dog is awake isn't that big a deal, IMO. Some owners can't afford full blown surgery, and in minor cases, simply draining it can fix it. Why put a dog under anaesthetic if it can be dealt with by a needle?

Couldn't a GA on a bulldog with their shortened nose potential be a greater risk than doing it under a local.

manky ear needed some reconstruction. Had been chewed by another dog and was blown up like a balloon ... very very ewwwww didnt even go home with antibiotic tablets

hey I'm all for whats good for the dog and costs but that drain would not have fixed it at all ...

I would have bought the lets give it a go if the kids hadnt suddenly developed itches ...

Stormie I'm not having a go at vets in general - I just cant beleive that EDUCATED people can do such rediculous things that are not always in the best interest of the animal?!

Edited by Nekhbet

Yeah I get where you are coming from. But until you're in the consult with the owners and the vet, you never really know if the vet is entirely to blame or not. We have had clients refuse to have surgery on things that straight out need them, or refuse take home medicine because they say there's no way they can administer it. It's then up to the vets to try and do what they can. Vets see their fair share of bad clients too!!

edited for spelling

Edited by stormie

Yeah I get where you are coming from. But until you're in the consult with the owners and the vet, you never really know if the vet is entirely to blame or not. We have had clients refuse to have surgery on things that straight out need them, or refuse take home medicine because they say there's no way they can administer it. It's then up to the vets to try and do what they can. Vets see their fair share of bad clients too!!

edited for spelling

Couldn't agree more.