Gone Off Food & Not Putting Weight On

Kyra

Just wondering what some good things are to put weight on a pup? Kyra has gone off her food - hasn't eaten yesterday or today and she doesn't appear to be putting weight on, infact she looks as though she's loosing it. I'm taking her to the vet in 2 hours to grab some worming pills incase that's anything to do with it and also to get her checked out, but what is something I can get to help get her interested in food again and put on some weight?

I'm having problems galore with her lately.. it's all sending me a bit mad :D

Alright - forget it :D just been to the vet and she has a blockage in her stomach which would be why she isn't eating. :D She's on two lots of anti biotics to hopefully clear it up.. The vet thinks she's eaten something she shouldn't have and it's blocked up.. Well I'm certainly glad I took her for a check up.

Poor pup.

?? from me too,tho....

The vet thinks she's eaten something she shouldn't have and it's blocked up..

A blockage will not clear with antibiotics.

A blockage, AFAIK, is usually a foreign body which is blocking the passage of food thru the intestine.

It often requires surgical intervention to remove it.

The antibiotics will help with an infection- but NOT a blockage :banghead:

Did the vet explain things to you? Do Xrays to locate the blockage?

Sorry for the querying- but having been thru this with Hamlet- it is a serious event... and I am worried the vet is not being as helpful as he/she may be :laugh:

Edited by persephone

Hi guys

No he did not do any xrays, he felt her tummy and said she seems to be uncomfortable when he presses certain places so there seems to be some sort of blockage and gave me two lots of meds. :cheer:

That's when he said it's most likely due to eating something she shouldn't have... she was also due for a parvo vaccination but he didn't want to give it to her until she was better, so next week he made an appt for her to come back.

She hasn't been looking sick or anything - she ate a mouthful of dry this morning and that's it so far. :laugh: I tried giving her some leftover scrambled egg but she wouldn't touch it, she usually loves eggs. I hate it when they won't eat, stresses the life out of me.

Oh.... Is there another vet you could go to for a second opinion?

If a vet says

there seems to be some sort of blockage
It is fairly urgent that the blockage is removed!!!!

As she is still not eating- esp. her favourites- I would be phoning another vet...

Sorry if this is worrying you, but .....

have a read here..

http://www.dog-health-and-supply.com/DogIn...bstruction.html

Yes there is another vet close by I could take her too.. great, this is just what I need at the moment. :cheer:

Will ring and get an appt for this afternoon. I hope it's nothing serious.. :laugh: :D

I hope it's nothing serious..

So do I, but maybe getting a second opinion will help put your mind at ease (and find exactly WHAT the problem is. :cheer:

When you phone- explain that you think you have a pup with a blockage... that will let them know you are serious :laugh: Also tell them what medication she's on....when you get there.

best of luck.

Good advice from persephone...

Commonly dogs with obstructions are vomiting and very very unwell, so I'm sure there must be some miscommunication with the first vet, as I really can't see a vet sending a dog home with antibiotics when there is an obstruction!