12 Year Old Staffy

Hi everyone, I am posting this on behalf of my sister, who is not a DOL member & is a little shy to post this herself.

She owns a 12 yo male (undesexed) house trained Staffy, that seems to have lost control of his bladder in the last couple of days. He has already wet his own bed, my sisters bed & the couch, aswell as doing several accidents on the floor. My sister has become very worried about this behaviour as he has rarely had any accidents in the house in the 12 years she has had him. She also mentioned that the urine has a very sweet odour & he has also gone of his food a bit too.

I have advised her to bring him to the vet asap & she is going to make an appointment to bring him sometime this week, but she's scared to death that its going to something sinister & he will have to be PTS. :D

So she was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be based on the symptons, before she actually brings him to the vet.

She especially would like to know what the sweet odour could be. (A friend of hers told her it could be diabetes ).

I know its not ideal to diagnose a medical problem over the internet, but my sister would aprecciate any ideas of what it COULD BE before facing the vet.

Based on the phone call I got from her this morning my sister & her OH seem to be nervous wrecks about this, so any input will be appreciated, but I have warned her that only her vet will be able to make the actual diagnosis.

Thanks in advance everyone :D

Nicole.

It could be something or nothing at all... He needs a vet - tell your sister to get a urine sample (when pooch goes out to go, stick a container under him just as he cocks his leg) this is much more comfortable than the vet having to get a sample by inserting a tube...

Even if it is just because he has lost control over his bladder, they can still treat him.

Poor old guy, I hope he see's the vet and gets better soon...

It could be a bladder/kidney infection or on a more serious note it could be bladder/kidney stones.

A tumour in the bladder would also make him lose control because of the pressure on the bladder... hoping it is not this option!

I am betting it is something simple like a bladder infection that can be treated with anti biotics...

He really needs to see a vet, because bladder infections can be quite painful, not to mention how painful stones are (my old stafford had bladder stones when he was around 6 years old)...

Agree with all the posts, plus, could also be prostrate probs. undesexed males are rather prone to testes/prostrate porbs when they get older. A complete and thorough check is very due. Good luck little boy :cheer: