How Long?

Hi all, a few weeks ago Atlas tore a nail out.

It has not healed one bit, it looks like it is healing, then he bumps it, I am at work at the moment and he has been kenneled here during the day, and in with me at night - he just came in bleeding all over the place, has ripped the top off again and a bit of his pad.

I really dont know how to go about fixing it? He hates his feet being touched, so putting a bandage on alone is a no go - will it just heal in time? It looks so bloody sore :thumbsup:

Hi TB, I really do not have any suggestions except, are you sure the whole thing came out? Maybe if there is still a jagged bit left in, it could be causing a problem healing. Poor thing.

When Monty ripped his out, it was totally gone and did not bleed after the first day. It did bleed a lot when it happened. I just kept dipping it in salt water for a few days and squirted betadine in the hole. The nail has never grown back though.

It would be so hard if he won't let you touch it. Maybe ring and ask the vet if he has any suggestions.

Sorry, I am not much help, hope it comes good soon.

Thanks, they whole thing came out - vet had to remove a little bit that got stuck - Works oncall vet is due out today or tomorrow, so i will ask her, it has stopped bleeding now, i am not actually working today, so might take him home and bring him back tonight

Stevie ripped her nail out completely on 2 May. No bleeding after the first day. We went through many socks in a week, and she reacted a bit to the betadine, but she seemed to be pretty well 'healed' after week, and I just noticed last night how neatly her nail is growing back - it's still short, but her other nails are quite long and need clipping.

poor At, I do hope that he gets better

I wonder if you could use some sort of bandage..like they put on horses and cows when they have sore legs...

But knowin how bullies are ..he would prolly rip it of after five minutes anyways :laugh:

Hope someone has a useful reply:)

Hope you find some answers as I'm in the same boat with Pele. She knocked her toe again today and it was bleeding a bit also :laugh: With Pele she split the nail across-ways and I've managed to cut the underneath bit that was hanging off. I'm hoping that that top bit of nail will help protect the toe bit underneath.

Poor At and Pele :rofl:

I had a dog that ripped the nail out and it bled and looked pretty raw for a few days and she would knock it and it would start bleeding again but after about a week it was well on the mend. I think that it is the blood clot that gets knocked and makes it start bleeding again. You should be right in a week. Every dog is different I had another that lost a nail no problem with bleeding but a mini nail grew back after a loooong time and it is noticably about half the thickness of the others and doesn't look the same at all.

Hope you find some answers as I'm in the same boat with Pele. She knocked her toe again today and it was bleeding a bit also :noidea: With Pele she split the nail across-ways and I've managed to cut the underneath bit that was hanging off. I'm hoping that that top bit of nail will help protect the toe bit underneath.

Poor At and Pele :cheer:

Add Tilly to that list, the Mum of the babies i am looking after, let her outside for some sun time, came back in, has also split her nail :thumbsup: Hers is pretty sore, and it is also across ways, but right in the middle, i had a look and the groomer had a look, not much we can do with it (this is one of the nails she pulled out a few months ago, so must be a bit thinner?)

Bloody stupid nailed stupid Bull Terriers :thumbsup: Who would want one?? :dropjaw:

Edited by Terrorbull

Sorry to hear about Atlas

Zephyr ripped his toenail out 8 weeks ago, it is growing back now, but for the first few weeks it bleed every now and then

I can just imagine Atlas eating the shoe LOL

My poor boy, he eats everything :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yesterday gave him a good rest, and i have managed to move him so no other dogs are next to him, so he isnt being as crazy. Im working the next 3 days, so wont be able to keep a close eye on him (i do reception, and help if the girls are behind as well as feeding the pups every 3 hours) fingers crossed he behaves himself.

At least we are home Saturday night, and not going anywhere for a while! It may heal up

Bloody stupid nailed stupid Bull Terriers :confused: Who would want one?? :eek:

I was hoping to get Pele to obedience training tonight but it is raining heavily and she's still limping ;) We are entered in an obedience trial on Sunday and have done no training for almost 2 weeks 'cos of the toenail :o Sunday will be interesting :laugh: Bloody Bull Terriers ;)

Tillys half nail broke off today, looks bloody sore but she seems ok... but then i look at the 6 ferals sucking the life out of her (9 day old puppies who are PIGS) and i think i would rather have my nail ripped out, then them on my boobies :):eek:

I'm starting to think that they do it deliberately :eek:

Why?

1. Jessie tore a rear toenail. She fell out of a tree. Don't ask :) It was the day before the dog club Xmas break-up and I'd made her a "Father Xmas" outfit. I'm sure that she did it to avoid the embarrassment of the costume :p

2. Pele tore her dew claw at the park before the first night of obedience training for the year. Skateboarding ;) I'd entered her in the Club's obedience trial at the end of the month :eek:

3. The current toenail that Pele split at the beach nearly 2 weeks ago. We are entered in our first Novice obedience Trial this weekend and have done no work for 2 weeks :rofl:

Are you seeing a pattern here? :)